All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Caffiene Addicts?
      #275445 - 07/24/06 11:46 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

So I've finally started to come out of my denial and come to terms with the fact that my daily coffee/tea habit is severely affecting my efforts to attain digestive health. I am thinking about weaning myself off the caffiene, but I am terrified because I rely heavily on it for support with my mood and energy level. I know many of you have kicked the caffiene habit on Heather's diet, and I'm wondering how you all did it...what were your challenges, and how did you get through them? Also, if there are any of you guys out there who are currently in the same boat, I would love to hear from you, and maybe we could support one another...any advice, comments, sympathy or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Caffiene Addicts? new
      #275449 - 07/24/06 12:52 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey Julia,

I kicked the coffee habit last summer when I found this diet. It was terrible at first. My morning ritual for as long as I can remember (dating back to junior high school) would be to have a cup of coffee in the morning, so kicking the habit was psychological as well as physical for me.

I started weaning myself with less amounts in the morning for about a week. Then I just stopped. I had to take Advil for the withdrawal headaches for a few days after that. I supplemented with chamomile tea (I just can't stand peppermint in the morning). After a few weeks, things were better but god help me if I walked past a Starbucks and smelled the aroma of freshly brewed coffee

Admittedly, I fell off the wagon a couple months ago when I started studying for the CA bar exam. Coffee really is the only thing that helps me keep going. I am planning to quit drinking it again after the exam is over this week. So, if you want the support from me, I'll give it...as I'll be a wreck too

Good luck!

#275456 - 07/24/06 02:10 PM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

I actually found that my headaches and energy levels got BETTER after I kicked the caffeine! So I'd hope for the best and look forward to the POSITIVE benefits of not drinking caffeine.

Also, there have been lots of posts on coffee alternatives (I've never tried one so I can't say anything about it...). Now if they'd only come up with a safe diet coke substitute!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

Re: Here's how you step down off caffeine.... new
      #275463 - 07/24/06 02:50 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Switch to green tea instead of coffee. It has a high caffeine content, so you won't go into withdrawal. I think the powder is the strongest. Then go to the bag stuff (less caf) and then finally decaf. I found that really the best thing for energy is water. Make sure you're getting enough water everyday, and try eating 5 - 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up and running. This will prevent you from getting into a slump midday.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#275504 - 07/24/06 06:05 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Mmmm, cooofffeee.... As a Finn, we are coffee drinkers, and it's a hard habit to kick! Hallua kaffia? Hyva on!! (Would you like coffee? YES!)

I miss coffee. I had to stop drinking it too, in Feb. We were away for a weekend and didn't have the convenience of Tim Hortons in our back yard. We were drinking Starbucks, which for my DH and I is very strong (sorry, please don't take offense SB lovers!)
When we got home from that holiday, in which I didn't get a proper meal for 3 days b/c of where we were staying, I was sicker than ever. (Doritos and gold fish crackers are not ibs friendly!)
Needless to say, and to shorten this up, the next morning heading to work I didn't pull into the coffee shop drive thru as I have done (and at the same location) for over 7 years. And I'm a morning coffee person - large, 2 milk, 2 sugar for at least 15 years. I started drinking coffee in high school when I worked late nights and had 8:30 classes. I quit just like that though, cold turkey. I think I was too sick to care about coffee and my body was kind enough not to go through withdrawl, but I was so sick with my ibs who knows for sure. Now I'm addicted to peppermint teas. I keep 3 kinds minimum at my desk!

Anyways, good luck.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 635

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review