All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kate aka Wind
      #275095 - 07/20/06 07:24 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Hi Kate, I remember talking with you here on the boards a few months ago about Beano and I believe I told you of a good site to find it at a really awesome price, Lucky vitamin.com? Anyway, I thought of you this weekend because I know you and I use it pretty much the same way. My sister told me about this thing called Digest gold by Enzymedica, have you heard of it? I was, as usual, very skeptical. But, I kid you not, I can now eat a BIG salad, with NO side effects! In fact, I haven't found anything I can't eat that it doesn't work with. My favorite? I can even eat my beloved peanut butter, on WHEAT bread and not be gassy and bloated at all! Anyway, you came to mind this week when I was using it and thought I'd share with you. If you have any questions, you can email me at amcgarity27@msn.com, or post here on the boards, but I have to admit, I've been pretty absent for a while. The best price I've found for this stuff is at Vitaminshoppe.com, but I've also been picking them up on ebay. If you need anymore info, don't hesitate to ask. I'm still working on the right combo to take, depending on what I'm eating, but boy do I feel better.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bump..... new
      #275216 - 07/22/06 09:40 AM
Alyson McG

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

I just "tuned in..." new
      #275255 - 07/22/06 02:34 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Thank you, Alyson. I joke about it and call myself the Queen of Beano...looks like we're Beano Babes or Beano Buddies. I always grab a "handful" prior to consuming complex carbohydrates and it literally saves my butt, to this day. I love deals and this is sweet. Hey, did I mention that I'm enjoying hull-less air popped popcorn due to Beano. Heavenly.

I'm interested in this "Digest Gold" you mentioned. I have huge problems with raw leafy salad greens--sure beano handles the gas, but I'm terrible at digesting raw cellulose UNLESS I take intensive enzymes, I note. I usually use a product by S.I.S.U. or Udo's or NOW, often containing colustrom bacteria. Seriously, without giving "tmi," unless I use enzymes, my toilet looks like cabbage soup depending on the intensity of the chlorophyll. I'm debating whether or not, now to return to using an intensive enzyme product.
It is so frustrating to love salad (it's all I really know how to, um, "cook" or more properly "assemble, incidentally) or crudite, but it gives me the rawest bum (even with tons of SF). I am mortified at eating such a pale diet for the rest of my life, however, will in order to continue until my last breath, my last syllable.

So, essentially, I am currently "testing" the enzymes by excluding them for a few weeks in order to see if they are worthwhile. Considering how much toilet duck I'm using, I'm beginning to think they are. My energy levels were better as well as I was processing food more effectively.

Lately, I feel like eating is such a joke and do it only because it maintains my life...however, I do so very much miss "real food."

Thank you, Alyson. I shall mull this over, because I am so depressed without a salad or two per day.

Kate.

Re: I just "tuned in..." new
      #275264 - 07/22/06 03:59 PM
Alyson McG

I hope everything goes better for you. Remember, I don't think there is any such thing as TMI on the boards, hehehe... If you should decide to try it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm still in such shock that I can eat anything I want without a problem. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I'm like you, I have certain things that I love, for example wheat bread. It killed me to have to eat white bread all the time.
You've probably already done it, but if you go to the Enzymedica website, it has a break down of all that the gold helps with. It's very informative, but I wouldn't buy any there, there are many more sites, much cheaper.

Keep me posted, Alyson

--------------------

Re: I just "tuned in..." new
      #275281 - 07/22/06 06:39 PM
Wind

Thank you so very much for sharing. Hmmm...I guess, you're right--I should know by now that you're not one to believe in tmi!

Alot of business try to rip off people with IBS, as you well know. I appreciate you sharing you exceptionally positive experience with Enzymedica with me. Actually, I was seriously considering going back on the intensive enzymes, earlier this week, and am still tossing the idea around in my head. I haven't had even a semi-solid bm in quite awhile. I'm living on mostly homemade babyfood (really low residue, with a token crunch, and um, "spiked" with a little bite or panache) and I want the "more" I had back, again.

I'm going to mull it over for a week or so and then decide yea or nay, but I'm leaning toward the "yea" because I did digest/process cellulose more effectively and had more energy. I actually had formed stools versus the soupiest bowls around and huge black circles beneath my eyes, and pain, cramping, not to mention looking pale and gaunt.

I'm just so depressed and a shadow of myself on this babyfood diet. You're success only encourages me further--it truly wasn't all in my mind before when I took high-test enzymes as well as Beano. Honestly, eating is such a freakin' joke.

Okay, I'm finally nearly mad enough, determined enough to go back to what worked. Your experience only further validates my former experience with the enzymes. It's not in our minds. It's not a placebo effect or hoax.

Kate, IBS-double-D (at least today).

It's definitely not in our heads.... new
      #275293 - 07/22/06 10:37 PM
Alyson McG

The enzymes really do work, at least for me and it sounds like you too. And I totally agree, I think alot of businesses really do try to feed on people's weaknesses and sell them hope that doesn't really work. I' one of those severe skeptics. In fact, when my daughter first told me about it(my sister had her try it for her lactose intolerance) it took her more than a month to convince me to try it. My thought was that sure it worked for her LI, but I have so many more complex issues, it couldn't possibly help....i'm sure you know what I mean.
Well, I sure hope you'll go back to enzymes, whether it be this one or the ones you were taking. I think you'll feel much better. I do understand though, I really hate having to take all of this stuff all of the time. It does make eating a real pain in the a.. ...:) I have to say though, that maybe when you do, and this is just my oppinion, you should probably do a few days on the BTC diet, even while using the enzymes. With that much D, it probably wouldn't hurt. Sorry, hope that wasn't too much mothering...:) Sometimes it's hard to not be that way.

I'll be thinking about you the next few days(taking the kids camping) and hoping you feel better soon.

Alyson

--------------------

Re: It's definitely not in our heads.... new
      #275312 - 07/23/06 10:50 AM
Wind

Your post actually lifted my spirits, Alyson. Thank you.

I agree completely--it's not a placebo effect. Enzymes can be really effective for some people, i.e. people like us who don't want to compromise/sacrifice nutrients and REAL down to earth food. I think, besides digesting cellulose/fiber from raw foods adeptly while on enzymes, I also had more energy. I think I'm going to go back on them, using them concurrently with Beano. You're right--I just did some shopping and came back with my ultimate poo-solidifying food , russet potatoes. So...back to the basics and then I'm going "all out." Why should I feel miserable and lack the vibrance?

(Actually, I'm sure that what I'm experience at the moment is weather related--it's very humid where I live and I've been exposed to too much heat for my constitution.)

Have a blast camping. And thank you so much for being thoughtful, insightful, and sharing your experience/insights. It's given me quite the boost.

Kate, IBS-D>

Update for Alyson re: enzymes new
      #275755 - 07/26/06 03:17 PM
Wind

I re-started the digestive enzymes with tremendous success. I'm still applying the basics of Heather's diet & have eliminated raw leafy salads at the moment (I need to "heal" from the intense distress/D), however I wanted to share that they (the digestive enzymes) are exceptionally positive.

Thank you once again, Alyson, for thinking of me and sharing your positive experience with digestive enzymes with me. Tummy is flat again even after consuming notoriously gassy but safely prepared foods (D streaks leave me gassy/bloated) and I feel encouraged. I'm not ready to take the plunge into the raw, yet (I'd rather be cautious). Honestly, I get so depressed without eating my anti-oxidants and my energy suffers. Plus, it's summer and there are so many good things to enjoy.

I hope you continue to thrive and enjoy your Peanutbutter on WW sandwiches.

Oh, one more thing: the enzymes I have success with contain Ox Bile (they're not vegetarian).

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: enzyme update #2 new
      #275905 - 07/27/06 12:49 PM
Wind

I should never have stopped using intensive digestive enzymes.

I'm finally having solid formed easy to unload bm's. I am able to consume vegetables without pain, gas, bloating, cramping. I am still going to take a long hiatus from raw leafy green salads to heal from "the trauma" they inflicted. (maybe next year???)

Anyways, I just wanted to share my exceptionally positive experience and also say that I was an idiot for stopping such an effective "supplement"/aid.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2331

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review