All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I still wanna party
      #275040 - 07/20/06 03:11 PM
david66

Reged: 07/19/06

I am 22 and have allways enjoyed going out drinking and partying with my buddies. Now that i have developed IBS i know im not supposed to be drinking, but if im going to do it either way is there any alchoholic drinks that are better than others?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I still wanna party new
      #275042 - 07/20/06 03:23 PM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

I am in the same boat...

I'd say.. avoid anything carbonated so that would be things like beer, rum and coke (coke i would think would be bad anyway.. caffine), vodka redbull (redbull is loaded with caffine I believe) and anything with diet soda (artificial sweeteners)

I am sticking to wine, or rum mixed with fruit juice... but I think most people here would say avoid it...

I went to a party last week.. I had 3 drinks.. Cruzan Fussions - its 4 types of cruzan rums and fruit punch.. I was fine.. but everyone is different

#275047 - 07/20/06 03:46 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Red bull is not a good thing what so ever for people with IBS.. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's good for anyone but thats just me.. Avoid beer and anything fizzy. Also avoid anything that is creamy as anything even slighty dairy is bad. Personally I drink Caesars without the worshire or tabasco sauce. (mind you i'm not a big drinker, never had been so I only have one, maybe two drinks every 6months..)

#275048 - 07/20/06 03:53 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I still drink coconut rum and orange juice, wine, and the occasional vodka drink, but usually I'm tipsy after 1 drink. On my wedding day I managed 2 glasses of wine! And no attacks!! Do what works best for you. You might have to have some bad days to find out what does work for you. Like the others said, stay away from carbonation, caffeine and diet stuff - they are gut killers!! I miss my early 20s!! I was a party girl in university - now I'm just an "old married lady!"

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#275054 - 07/20/06 04:23 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Depends. I think no matter what you drink, if you drink it in large quantities, you're asking for trouble.
I can often tolerate a beer after a safe meal first. Or a small glass of wine with my dinner. Coolers occasionally - again, after safe food. I find hard liquor - especially mixed with sodas is asking for trouble - they're both really hard on my stomach.
So if you want to drink socially, make sure you prepare yourself first, with lots of soluble fibre before you head out.
What I usually get in a bar is an iced tea, but I'm an old girl now .

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Thirded... or whatever... new
      #275080 - 07/20/06 05:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

#1 - Don't drink on an empty stomach. Plan ahead of time, and be sure you've got plenty of soluble fiber in your system - and keep adding more, even if it's just nibbling on pretzels while you're drinking. #2 - Avoid the fizzy stuff - beer, things mixed with soda, fizzy wine coolers and things like that.

I'm an old broad and don't party anymore, per se, but I can handle margaritas and straight hard liquor (scotch on the rocks!), and I do wine with dinner just fine, too.

#275083 - 07/20/06 06:33 PM
Jennifer Renee

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Like everyone else has said, avoid beer! That's easy for me since I can't stand the taste of it but I know it's hard (I'm 22 also so I know how it can be!) I'll have wine with dinner and be perfectly fine. As long as I've eaten, disaster usually is avoided. If I go out, generally I'm the DD now but when I'm not, I'll get something like cranberry juice and vodka. I'm also perfectly fine with martinis too.

That's just my personal experience but I hope that helps some! Just avoid beer and mixed drinks with coke, etc.

--------------------
~*If you can dream it, you can do it*~ Walt Disney

#275091 - 07/20/06 07:06 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I do well with anything so long as I avoid soda and all those sugary drinks. I think it just depends on what your body can tolerate and what you've eaten before hand. I can tolerate beer really well...althouh it does make me fart sometimes;) My staples are red wine and vodka martinis.

#275101 - 07/20/06 08:44 PM
david66

Reged: 07/19/06

thanks to everyone who responded with tips, wish me luck and ill toast the first drink to you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1025

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review