All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
due for a colonoscopy?
      #274027 - 07/14/06 10:46 AM
Advance

Reged: 07/13/06

it's been about 8 years (i had a very fun one at age 16) and my new new new doctor is pestering me to get another one so he can rule certain things out. that's fine and all but i've missed a lot of work already and last thing i need are unnecessary procedures.

the last one was negative and everything was cool. i've been having the same issues since i was young (insanely painful spasms, ab pain, imflammation) and i really don't think it's worth it.

just asking for a bit of advice since he explained to me that if it's crohn's or IBD, it IS treatable and there's not much to be done with IBS that i'm not already doing.

personally, i think i don't need it and i have such a distaste for doctors in general, i'll probably just wind up pissed off and unfortunely, sad.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: due for a colonoscopy? new
      #274031 - 07/14/06 11:06 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I feel the same way about doctors and IBS. Never has one been ableto do anything about my symptoms. I had a colonoscopy done in 2001 and I'm not about to do another one. My symptoms have been exactly the same for the last 14 years so I understand where you're coming from. I don't blame for not wanting another one. Still, if ther has been even the slightest change in your symptoms or if there is a chance youwere misdiagnosed, it may be worth it to have the colonoscopy done.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#274078 - 07/14/06 03:39 PM
JanC1955

Reged: 05/18/06
Loc: Northern Nevada

(Playing devil's advocate here ...) It's likely your new doctor needs to see your colon for himself before he can make an assessment of your condition or offer any help. Otherwise he's flying blind, which isn't helpful to you, and which can potentially land him in hot water. Can't really blame him for wanting to rule out anything that might be treatable, right?

For what it's worth, I'm twice your age, and I JUST found out thanks to MY new, new, new doctor(s) that I have a "redundant" colon (I have way too much colon, in other words). Can't believe I got to be 50, including having had major intestinal surgery 8 years ago, without a clue that all the extra colon is a large part of my problem.

I guess the bottom line is that if you want your new doc to be able to offer any help to you, he needs your cooperation with whatever tests he feels are necessary. Otherwise it's impossible for him to make a diagnosis.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Jan

#274080 - 07/14/06 03:47 PM
Advance

Reged: 07/13/06

i'm glad they could actually find something that may be causing you pain. is it treatable or does it require more surgery? either way i wish you the best and good health.

thank you for your reply!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 849 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review