All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to the board, and IBS
      #273722 - 07/12/06 03:04 PM
Michebell

Reged: 07/12/06

and I'm really having a hard time with the idea of giving up dairy. I have the constipation type, and I have pretty much stabilized for the past 2 days. I was having pain every day, so 2 days is great for me! I have a freind who also has IBS and taking Lactaid seems to help him when ever he eats dairy. Has anyone else had any luck eating small amounts of dairy and not have any problems?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome to the boards. Dairy is bad. new
      #273763 - 07/12/06 06:32 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Even the smallest amount of dairy does me in. You have to follow the diet very strictly to get stable. Check out tofutti.com. They have all kinds of wonderful dairy alternatives. Also check out Soy Delicious. Silk makes great soy milk. Blue Diamond makes a tasty almond chocolate milk. The only things I haven't found a comparable substitute for are block cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

dairy is bad! new
      #273816 - 07/13/06 07:12 AM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

For a long time I thought I could eat yogurt, until I took it out of my diet and then tried to put it back in. Pew-ew I was gassy! So in my experience no dairy is the way to go. The longer you follow the diet the easier it becomes to live without the foods you used to like. Also, if you pinpoint that a certain food (like dairy) makes your tummy feel terrible, it's easier to mentally say no, I don't want to eat that (even though it sounds good) because I know how sick it's going to make me and it's flat out NOT WORTH IT. That's how dairy has been for me and I'm going on 8 months dairy free. I drink Soy Dream soy milk and use vegan cheese when I'm craving a little homemade pizza. Over time you can change what tastes good to you. Best of luck!

Re: dairy is bad! new
      #273817 - 07/13/06 07:15 AM
Anna Soisson

Reged: 07/10/06

I too am lactose intolerant and the pills don't help me enough to use them. I love and miss pizza too but I get pizza with lots of toppings and no cheese and it's pretty good. There are lots of soy alternatives for yogurt, ice cream, cream cheese, etc. that are very yummy.

Re: New to the board, and IBS new
      #273832 - 07/13/06 08:03 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I can manage small things, like a butter on bread or dairy based spreads. I can eat a sliver of cheese every now and then.
I don't touch milk at all and cream makes me very ill.
I have soy yogurt so I don't miss yogurt

--------------------
S.

Re: dairy is bad! new
      #273859 - 07/13/06 10:40 AM
Michebell

Reged: 07/12/06

unfortunatly I live in a small city and soy based foods just aren't carried by the stores here, except soy milk. I did find soy amercian slices at Wal-Mart, but that is it. I'm not much of a yogurt eater or milk drinker even, but cheese is my weakness.

Dairy is bad. new
      #273863 - 07/13/06 10:56 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

NotMilk.com

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review