All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
attn: gassy people..
      #273681 - 07/12/06 10:24 AM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

ok.. so my main problem is gas... for almost half of my life i suffered from diarrhea almost daily.. but now my main concern is gas... when i had diarrhea it was uncomfortable and embarrassing for about 15 minutes max a half hour.. but then it would be over... now i get gas and it can last for hours and hours and thats even more embarrassing... so my question is.. what do you (people who sufffer from gas) do to treat it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: attn: gassy people.. new
      #273682 - 07/12/06 10:27 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm the same way. I haven't had so much D or had to use Imodium lately, but I've been having trouble with gas in the evenings. I went out and bought a bag of fennel seeds and started chewing them. I'm going to take about 1 1/2 tsp a day. Also some people use Gas-X or Beano with meals.

I'll let you know how the fennel works, and let me know if you find any relief.
Thanks, Kat

--------------------
Kat

#273684 - 07/12/06 10:29 AM
JustMe

i haven't tried the fennel seeds.. maybe i should.. i have tried the over the counter gas meds.. they don't really help.. i just can't deal with this anymore.. i drove out to see my girlfriend in another state yesterday.. i ate all "safe" foods and was miserable for most of the time i was there

#273687 - 07/12/06 10:57 AM
K2

What exactly did you eat? There's lots of foods that are 'safe' but could be causing gas.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#273690 - 07/12/06 11:30 AM
JustMe

i had..

corn pops and soy milk for breakfast
toasted sourdough bread with seedless jam for a snack
grilled chicken on sourdough bread for lunch
grilled chicken with a little bit of teryaki sauce and rice for dinner

I drink fennel tea.. and take gas -x (generic) new
      #273696 - 07/12/06 12:06 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and those help, but the biggest help has been diet... and eating lots of small meals... right now I am bloaty agian but the travel through me off and so did all the eating out and rich foods...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#273707 - 07/12/06 12:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Here's my "gas" survival strategy:

1.) Diet--I will not eat foods that give me gas. I take BEANO with meals containing complex carbohydrates. Heather's diet is pretty good, in general for gas. However, everyone's gassy food list is individual, so identify your triggers.
2.) Teas--fennel & peppermint are great for gas/cramping.
3.) For gassy foods I take BEANO & yes, it's effective.
4.) For trapped gas, I take generic Gas-X. There are some really good yoga poses on the boards as well. Also, usually a walk gets things "moving."

Kate, IBS-D.

#273802 - 07/13/06 04:29 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Do you know if you react poorly to soy? I've found I can't have anything with soy...not even a little bit. The soy milk and teriyaki sauce(contains soy sauce) could be causing problems. They would make me feel awful...very gurgly and gassy. Have you ever tried eliminating soy? It does come from a bean, so it is naturally gassy.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#273822 - 07/13/06 07:27 AM
JustMe

hrm.. i don't know...

if you remove soy... you don't use real milk or soy milk????

#273826 - 07/13/06 07:44 AM
K2

There's almond milk and rice milk you can try. I hear Blue Diamond makes a good almond milk.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#273828 - 07/13/06 07:49 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

You could try rice milk or almond breeze (which I quite like actually. Better than soy IMO)

#273846 - 07/13/06 09:20 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I use rice milk (Rice Dream). It tastes more like real milk than soy milk does anyway. I pretty much don't eat any other dairy products/substitutes...since they almost all contain soy. The only other thing I have occassionaly is Rice Dream ice cream. Not quite as good as the real thing, but at least it's something. You could at least try it for a little while to see if removing soy has an effect.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#273919 - 07/13/06 04:49 PM
Tuesday

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Oregon

I am still testing this theory, but it seems that if I eat a half or whole tomato with my meal it will either eliminate the gas all together or at least make it not as bad. I have only tried this for afew days, but so far it has worked out pretty well. I am not sure why though. *shrug*

#273928 - 07/13/06 06:31 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06

Okay, I definitely have problems with gas when I eat foods that are a known problem to me but I also have severe problems with gas whenever I have to sit without moving for an extended period, whether it be in a theatre with crowded seating or an airplane.

The second last time I flew the gas pains got so bad from trapped gas that I was nearly in tears and feeling nauseous. I take Ovol whenever I know I'm going to be sitting for awhile but it doesn't seem to help in this situation. Now I'm really afraid to take any car trips longer than a couple hours, or be in a seated position for any amount of time. Anybody experience anything similar? It's really cramping my lifestyle (pun unintentional).

#274290 - 07/16/06 07:32 PM
JustMe

how is the fennel working for you??

i have been following heathers diet as closely as i can.. i have been drinking lots of her fennel tea.. and chewing the fennel seeds... it seems like the gas has been reduced a bit.. not totally.. but a slight reduction.. but i feel like i'm getting a little C ROOOOAR.. why can't something work for me???? i just feel like crying!

#274344 - 07/17/06 10:33 AM
K2

The fennel seeds seem to work pretty well, especially right after supper. If you're chewing them or putting them in tea, make sure you swallow them after.

For the C, make sure you're getting enough IF, and if it bothers your stomach then take more SF.

Good luck
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#274393 - 07/17/06 04:09 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Blue Diamond almond milk is delicious (glad I ran across this 'cause I need to put it on my "try" list of potential triggers).

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#274415 - 07/17/06 06:38 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I got in to the habit of taking generic Gas X as a preventative measure if I was going some place important. I asked my dr if that was okay and he said use it as often as I need it. It's helped I have something to fall back on. But I still have problems now and then. Going for a walk (away from people) seem to help relieve some pressure. Eating small meals helps too. Better then skipping meals which I used to do all the time.

#274674 - 07/19/06 04:58 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:

ok.. so my main problem is gas... for almost half of my life i suffered from diarrhea almost daily.. but now my main concern is gas... when i had diarrhea it was uncomfortable and embarrassing for about 15 minutes max a half hour.. but then it would be over... now i get gas and it can last for hours and hours and thats even more embarrassing... so my question is.. what do you (people who sufffer from gas) do to treat it?

Okay, okay, I have to admit, I've been super gassy lately too. And it's been horrible!! And I don't get embarrassed very easily, but this gas really stinks! I'm gassy from both ends, too. *cry* So, I need help on this issue, too. I'm still predominantly C, and every now and then still have comfortable BMs, but yeah, I'm gassy, too.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: attn: gassy people.. - Thanks Kate, and Rolaids Anti-Gas?? new
      #274676 - 07/19/06 05:03 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:

Here's my "gas" survival strategy:

1.) Diet--I will not eat foods that give me gas. I take BEANO with meals containing complex carbohydrates. Heather's diet is pretty good, in general for gas. However, everyone's gassy food list is individual, so identify your triggers.
2.) Teas--fennel & peppermint are great for gas/cramping.
3.) For gassy foods I take BEANO & yes, it's effective.
4.) For trapped gas, I take generic Gas-X. There are some really good yoga poses on the boards as well. Also, usually a walk gets things "moving."

Kate, IBS-D.

Thanks, Kate - btw, your name, Wind, is rather a bit of a pun in this thread. :P

Anyone ever try those new Rolaids Soft Chews plus Anti-Gas? I bought some and have been trying them and so far they are only working like maybe 1/4 times I take them. I know usually Rolaids and Tums type stuff makes IBS symptoms worse, but I thought maybe this would be different.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3000

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review