All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help with urgency after I eat!
      #273337 - 07/10/06 12:06 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

For the past week or so, after I eat, (anything it seems) I have to go. Not D, not a lot but I need to make it to a bathroom. I'm getting a little tired of this! I've tried taking an imodium to slow me down a bit and that normally works but it hasn't this time. I even took a lomotil last night as I was out, and it still didn't help. I had to go about 4 times in a few hours at my brother's house. I haven't really changed my diet at all. I did have coffee for a few days and normally can tolerate a bit, but maybe it's the after effects of that? Does anyone experience having to go after they eat all the time?

Any advice? Increase fiber? Decrease fiber? I only take about 8 grams a day.

Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help with urgency after I eat! new
      #273395 - 07/10/06 04:03 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Hi Sandy,

I also have the urgency, especially since I've upped my fiber intake. I don't get it all time, but when I do, I know that an attack is eminent...usually by the next day.

I'm also curious about other responses, and how to deal with this.

Thanks
Claudia

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#273472 - 07/11/06 07:41 AM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

Have you been really faithful to the diet? I find that when this happens to me it's because somewhere in the past few days I had something bad (a single glass of wine, a few kernels of popcorn, etc.). Since I'm not totally stable yet, it hardly takes anything for me to slip into a cycle of attacks. It usually takes me a few days to a week to get back on track (and that's after only a bite or two of something bad!).

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

#273475 - 07/11/06 07:50 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would try cutting out the coffee completely. It could be unsettling your stomach, and then when you simply eat a meal it's enough to trigger you.

Also, how much are you eating, and what portion is SF? Make sure you get enough SF, no trigger foods, and eat small portions slowly. I also find walking after dinner helps with urgency.

Let us know how you're doing,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#273476 - 07/11/06 07:52 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm guessing that cutting out the coffee should help with this. Also, I found that the hypno CDs helped a lot with urgency: it turned "urgency" to "awareness".

--AC

Thaniks for your responses for my urgency question...I'm back on the wagon (m) new
      #273588 - 07/11/06 04:42 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

from time to time I think I don't have IBS and can eat what I want, and drink coffee. The sad reality is I do have it and have to eat every day as if I had it. I had a really bad day today which was a wake up call. Cramping, urgency, almost D, and lots of BM's! Tomorrow I am taking my boys to Six flags Great adventure amusement park and need to be OK. I'm barely eating tonight and only safe stuff. I will not be indulging at the park! I'm bringing bagels, water and may have a soft pretzel or something.

Is fruit ok without the skin as long as you have a soluble fiber?

I'll bring luna bars also.

Back to studying Heather's diet for me.
Sandy

#273635 - 07/12/06 06:58 AM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

I think that fruit should be fine without the skin, but since you're in the midst of a bad time, I'd stick to bananas and applesauce (without HFCS). Those are easy to pack, too, so they'd be good for a day trip.

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

Nix the coffee new
      #273768 - 07/12/06 06:46 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Just because you are able to usually able to tolerate something, doesn't mean that you always will. Coffee is an IBS trigger and, at the very least, is probably adding to your discomfort.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#273770 - 07/12/06 06:52 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Yep, but especially after eating at a restaurant, for some reason. Whenever we go in Lowe's now, hubby now always asks me if I need to go to the restroom. (I had a bad episode in there once and he hasn't forgotten. )

I too am interested in what others have to say on the subject.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Edited by GaiasSong (07/12/06 06:55 PM)

Re: Need help with urgency after I eat!-More ideas new
      #275333 - 07/23/06 02:37 PM
AdventureGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

Hi SandyG-

I like the ideas of awareness over urgency. Also, coffee does aggravate urgency unfortunately. I also find it is driven by some emotions I don't want to have or don't want to feel. Just letting the emotions go helps tremendously.

Donnatol helps slow things down in addition to the peppermint supplements. Also, I find the quickest relief when I swallow or munch Altoids. I usually take 8 to start and two every few minutes afterwards until the "tickly" feeling goes away or until I would like to safely get to the restroom.

Hope this helps.

Adventuregirl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2043 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1539

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review