All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Favorite cerals now off limits??
      #272109 - 07/02/06 09:35 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Ok, so what is it excatly that makes whole grains bad for ibs?? Post (or general mills i forget which) have decided to make all their cerals whole grained. So, does that mean that say, lucky charms or anything else like that is now completly off limits?? To look at the ceral it doesn't look different at all but i suppose that doesn't mean much...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Favorite cerals now off limits?? new
      #272114 - 07/02/06 09:52 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi
I know it totally sucks grrrr most cereals in England are whole grain now -thanks Nestle
I don't know what exactly makes them bad for us but I found that if I mixed cheerios(now whole grain) in with some rice krispies that was ok....
whole grains are on the 'eat with caution ' list of Heather's book so I guess a little would be alright just treat in the same way as IF veggies etc
p.s.- you still get lucky charms ???? I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE lucky charms hehee but they stopped selling them in england
hope this helps
Vicky
xxx

Re: lucky charms new
      #272156 - 07/02/06 02:13 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Ben (my fiance) has decided that he wants lucky charms all the time. We aren't big breakfast people usually but I guess thats just his latest craving.. (and they say only women get cravings haha but thats ok.. ) Until the last couple months I haven't had them in years... since I was.. 8 or 9 years old...

I miss lucky charms, too. new
      #272184 - 07/02/06 04:05 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I used to leave all the dried marshmallows to the end. Mmmmmm... Stupid IBS. LOL

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Whole grains are NOT bad for IBS... new
      #272189 - 07/02/06 04:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Like all other insoluble fiber foods, you just have to be careful when you eat them. Eat soluble fiber first (a slice of toast), or with it (mixing cereals, or adding a sliced banana), and you should be fine.

Lucky Charms Replacement! new
      #272196 - 07/02/06 05:05 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I don't know if you have it in Canada, but Malt-o-Meal Marshmellow Mateys are a great, safe stand-in for Lucky Charms.

In fact, Malt-o-Meal has several safe cereals that would be off-limits in the regular big name versions. Just read the labels.

#272334 - 07/03/06 02:53 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

I find Honey Combs, Corn Pops and Rice Krispies all easy to tolerate - I almost died when I went to Ireland a few weeks ago and found all the cereals there had gone whole wheat (like someone else on the board mentioned). The only cereal I could eat there was Rice Krispies.

#272839 - 07/06/06 06:43 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

All General Mills cereals have been whole grains for years. (Kix, Cheerios, Lucky Charms..) I used to get them specifically when my doctor told me I should eat more fiber to help my IBS. (Thank you university health services general practioner who caused me two years of pain because they didn't tell me about soluble vs. insoluble.) Now I eat Crispex primarily. Look in the natural foods section as they often have good rice/corn based cereals.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 950

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review