All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Traveling With IBS and other digestive conditions
      #271853 - 06/30/06 12:01 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

Hi everybody, this is my first time on the board and I'd love to hear people's input on whether it's possible to travel with IBS - and exactly how you manage it.

My IBS got much worse eighteen months ago but I've learned to cope with it fairly well - when I stay home, doing my own cooking that is. I also have GERD and numerous food allergies (which severaly shrinks the variety of foods I can eat) and managed my last vacation away by going to a restaurant on only one occasion and doing my own cooking the rest of the time. Worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, now it seems I may have to travel for work and with all my different digestive conditions and the regimen I must follow to stay well - eating six small meals (of very bland and unvarying foods), sticking to a similar schedule for myself everyday etc. and the fact that I don't do well on airplanes or even drives of more than a couple hours (find myself crazy gassy even with Ovol) I wonder if I'm placing undue stress on myself to even consider traveling.

Slipping up, even a little, seems to cause things to get out of control very quickly and these trips would be from city to city (staying in hotels) with a very full schedule for a period of weeks. In my heart I really don't think I can successfully travel under these conditions -- should I explain why to my work (I speak freely about the condition with family and friends but feel embarrased about explaining my condition to professional colleagues.)

I'd be very grateful for any input. Thanks!

I also just wanted to tell Heather that I have her book on The First Year and it has helped me immensely.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traveling With IBS and other digestive conditions new
      #271880 - 06/30/06 01:50 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Camryn

I think that you've answered your own question in a sense. If you are likely to get stressed about the change in schedule etc then maybe the change isn't the best thing for you. Stress of any description is so bad for our tummies and the last thing you need is to be mid-attack when travelling, eugh.

That said, there are lots of people who have no problem.
I travel well. I make sure to bring safe snacks, I order lactose free food on planes (I got great airplane food in the US last year, each flight we got hubby got more jealous at how good my food was compared to his regular stuff, plus with special meals you get served first) I always find a supermarket when we are away and have bread, pretzels etc in my hotel room. I bring peppermint tea bags. I am more careful about my food than I might otherwise be.

I think it depends on you. If you feel up to it and that you can do it then rise to the challenge. If even the thoughts of it has your tummy in knots then think twice.

--------------------
S.

#271885 - 06/30/06 02:18 PM
Camryn

Hi Cailin,

thanks for your reply. I just noticed you are in Dublin. I lived there for several years (love it!) and the trip I mentioned taking recently was to Dublin where I managed quite well (happily) - didn't eat on the plane at all, there are so many things I can't eat between the three conditions that it was easier just to munch on the safe snacks I brought with me.

Unfortunately with work lots of factors wouldn't be within my control - more like a rock tour with tightly scheduled events, one day in one city and then flying to another the next, and I don't relish the thought of scouting out supermarkets in strange places on my own on a daily basis (does that sound wimpy?). You're right - just the idea of it is causing me stress. Maybe I should've asked how you go about approaching the subject professionally and if this is an acceptable reason not to travel.

#272000 - 07/01/06 10:28 AM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Hi Camryn,
I totally understand the stress you feel when preparing to travel. I'm IBS-D and last summer we moved from Alberta to New Brunswick. We were to be on the road for 9 days, Hubby and I driving separate cars. I was totally stressed. When I spoke to my dr, he recommended just drinking those protein drinks (boost, etc). After day 1, I stopped that, not a pleasant experience. But with a very supportive hubby, an awful lot of stops, oh yea and my glove box full of immodium, we made it through with only one bad episode.

Of course, that was before I discovered this site. Now....I'm have more "safe" days, in a row, than I'v had in over three years.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer any recommendations, but I thought I'd just share my story. I know it's no good to tell you to not stress about it, so I'll just send good thoughts your way.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#272063 - 07/01/06 08:40 PM
Camryn

Thanks for the good thoughts. It really helps to know other people understand what I'm going through. I've gotten really good at doing the safe thing at home but the thought of trying to make do while travelling makes me shiver.

#272066 - 07/01/06 09:09 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Camryn, listen to your body. If you haven't had much opportunity to travel (not work related)to see how you react I'd sure have second thoughts. I have been doing really well for many months and we took a trip last week that gave me one day of trouble. With friends we parked on the roof of a store to shop and when I tried to get on the elevator I just lost it and got back in the car and went ground level to the door. I had eaten all the right foods but some of those old tapes still jump out of my head into my bowel. Now that trip was 6 days long and that was the only incident I had so I consider it a success. Pre-Heather that would have triggered days and days of self defeat discussions and depression. It just is the way my body acts sometimes and while I apologized to my friends I didn't dwell on it forever like before. Sorry I'm long winded but traveling is still one of the unpredictables in my life. Mostly mental more than dietary. Good luck. Maybe it's something you could try and get out of, if possible, if it doesn't work for you.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#272071 - 07/01/06 09:48 PM
ammers

Reged: 06/22/06
Loc: Appleton, WI

Hi Camryn,
I read some of your concerns and what others have suggested to you. I have found that finding someone in the professional work environment to discuss or inform about my concerns with that I felt much better and relieved. I think that if you found ways to take some of the guessing game and fear out of traveling it may be a little less of a problem for you. Like so many things only you know whats best for you. Approach this with your co-workers as a medical issue which seems to command more respect. I have travelled several times with IBS symptoms and my reactions are always very different since I have IBS-A ( right now mostly C) non of which is very fun. Come up with a safety kit you can pack with you complete with things to calm both your mind and body. I'm sorry i sort of rambled I hope some of this was helpful..Anymore questions just ask.
Ammers

#273480 - 07/11/06 08:24 AM
MarianneS

Reged: 07/11/06

I have found daily steel-cut oats to be very helpful for my ibs-c. I recently traveled to Spain for 10 days. Each night before I went to bed I put about 1/4 c. oats in a thermos with water as hot as I could get out of the faucet and put the lid on tightly. In the morning I had edible oats!

#274209 - 07/16/06 08:32 AM
Camryn

Thanks for all your suggestions! Ammers, I think you're right. Speaking with someone in the professional environment would be pretty much be a necessity for me. I can't even sit in one place for two hours without getting incredible gas pains (even when taking Ovol)! Soooo many issues. I wish I just didn't feel so awkward talking about it. How do you explain to someone that you work for that you can't take a long drive/flight because you'll be doubled over with gas pains for hours afterwards? Has anyone had a similar conversation with work people?

Talking to your boss new
      #274222 - 07/16/06 11:15 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm going through the same problem with traveling, except for me it's IBS-D. Rats! But I'm traveling for a vacation, not work, so it's different.

When I was offered an advancement at work, I knew it involved travel. I told my bosses flat-out that I would take the position as long as I didn't have to travel. They were fine with that, and I took the job. Is there someone at work (maybe in HR) that you trust and can talk to about this? That person would know the people involved, and could possibly give you some ideas on how to approach management. (That is, if you want to skip the traveling requirements.)

I wish you all the best!

Re: Talking to your boss new
      #274341 - 07/17/06 10:00 AM
Camryn

Well, as I'm somewhat anonymous (hopefully) on this board I suppose I may as well say that I will have a book coming out and I'm worried what kind of marketing would be expected and if the publishers would see my limitations as a big problem. Not sure how to even approach the topic or if I should just wait until the issue is truly at hand...

Re: Talking to your boss new
      #274467 - 07/17/06 11:11 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Ah! Well, as a book buyer, I know how much touring helps to sell your book. You might want to cross that road when it comes. If possible, try not to get too caught up in "what if" thinking, which can cause all kinds of anxiety and affect your bowels. I know so well, from experience.

I get reader's copies of books quite often from publishers, without the author ever coming. This is probably more common for authors who aren't well-known. You might ask your publisher what his/her marketing plan is for your book.

Can you do some radio interviews via telephone? I've always thought that if I had an RV to tool around in, I might be more comfortable traveling. You might try going on short trips initially while watching your diet to see if you can feel more comfortable about the whole travel idea.

I'm sure there are many authors who don't do tours for various reasons. The trick is to find out who they are, and see how they market their books.

Good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1922 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1972

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review