All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New Here
      #271575 - 06/29/06 09:51 AM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

Hi I am new here but certainly not new to IBS I am a 21 year old female and I can remember suffering from IBS as far back as to when I was 8 years old. I used to get diarrhea pretty much every day, with some foods that seemed to make it flair up such as tomato sauce and maple syrup. When I was about 12 or 13 I went to a GI Dr. and they did all sorts of tests which all came out negative and they slapped me with the label of IBS but there was nothing physically wrong with me. I was told to increase the fiber in my diet and avoid the foods that upset me. I did, and it helped slightly, but I was still scared to eat anything. I went for days without eating and skipping meals became a regular thing for me. Eventually I realized that was not the way to do it and just tried to relax and watch what I eat. Eventually the diarrhea became less frequent, but there was still no rhyme or reason to it. Eventually I was down to diarrhea only 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes, less and was sooo happy! For the past year or so my symptoms have been different. I only get diarrhea sometimes once or twice a week. Sounds great right? Wrong! In place of it I get severe gas and bloated almost every day. I've tried changing my diet, avoiding certain foods... nothing! I've tried all sorts of gas medicines, nothing helps! It's embarassing, disgusting and uncomfortable! I went to another doctor and I seemed to get the run around of come back in a couple of weeks and see if its still happening. Hello- its been this way for the past 2 years- its not going to change in a couple of weeks for no reason!! I don't get it!! Does anyone else face this problem of changing symptoms - gas and bloating and then nothing helping?? What do I do????? PLEASE HELP!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Here new
      #271584 - 06/29/06 10:07 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't help with the gas and bloating, personally - except to suggest trying fennel tea, which seems to help with gas quite a lot - but I just wanted to say welcome, really. I know how you feel... I started having IBS symptoms when I was a kid, full blown by the time I was 12... and I'm 31 now, so it's been a while.

You'll find help here. If you haven't already, read through the diet and lifestyle suggestions on the site - not the forums, but the site itself. It's amazing how just a few changes can work wonders! As for specific help with the gas/bloating thing, someone else will come along with better suggestions, I'm sure!

#271606 - 06/29/06 11:28 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I have to say, I have been *impressed* with how well Fennel, peppermint and chamomille teas help with all of that stuff.

Welcome.... new
      #271609 - 06/29/06 12:07 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

you've come to the right place for lots of help and support...everyone here is FANTASTIC and we're all just glad to have people to talk to about it who ACTUALLY know what it is like to deal with this everyday of ur life. Im 21 too and have had IBS since I was 15. My emails here in my profile if you ever want to email me...it HELPED me SOOOO MUCH having people in the same age group to chat to about this stuff...Ive made so many friends on here and I KNOW that if I hadnt have found this place that I would still be suffering in silence and letting it control my life...now IT DOESNT and Im sooooooo much happier and healthier. I used to suffer a lot with bloating too...and with that I found cutting out wheat from my diet to be so much better! I eat LOTS of butternut squash and sweet potatoes as my soluble fibre base and rice and wheat free pastas like vegetable pastas. Fennel tea is VERY good as everyone else has Said so Id definately try some of that. Also...the hypnotherapy tapes...I know Im an advocate of these on the boards but they ARE FANTASTIC and worth a go if you can afford to buy them Theyre worth MORE than every penny I spent on them...THEY CHANGED my life and I was a sceptic! Anything you want to know...just ask...you're NOT alone!!!

--------------------
Natalie

#271739 - 06/30/06 02:19 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

Hi
I just wanted to say hello too, I'm fairley newish but like everyone has said it's really helpful to be able to chat to people your own age, I'm 19....
are you on Heather's diet at the mo? have a look around the site I know a lot of people have found great relief from it.... I've been going for about months now- not much improvement I've got to say but I'm sticking with it. (sorry I'm not filling you with confidence about it- but you can talk to loads of people on here who it's be a Godsend for)
So have a look around and post any other questions you have or if you just want to have some vents look in the living room it's great you get free hugs!! lol
Godbless and hopefully will see you around
Vicky
xxx

#273183 - 07/09/06 10:51 AM
JustMe

Loc: NY

I ordered Heathers book, tea and peppermint capsules.. I plan on following the diet starting tomorrow.. whole grains sound like they are pretty much the enemy - which boggles me since they are supposed to be so good for you. The capsules.. do you HAVE to take them a WHOLE hour before you eat? I was told for weight loss you should eat within the first half hour that you are awake... also.. all of you are dairy free??? uggg why can't I just be normal?

#273190 - 07/09/06 11:42 AM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

Hi there. I am glad you found this Board. It is truly an amazing and supportive place. I found I got immense relief from gas with Peppermint tea. It settled everything down so well. Yes, I am dairy free and yes, it sucks. But, the alternative is worse. I am now learning to like soy cheese and Rice dream ice cream! The diet helped me a ton! I don't think I would be stable without the help of sourdough bread and white melba toast. It is strange eating white flour based foods since for so long I was very anti-white flour. But I tell you, white flour is great when you are in pain. Don't give up!

Yeah new
      #273218 - 07/09/06 06:10 PM
Elyse

You're right. It's really nice to talk to peeps your own age. I'm 18. I didn't really think there would be lots of young people.
On another subject. I have been trying the diet for about 3 weeks and I have not noticed any improvement. I had a big dish of ice cream tonight (yes, the real kind) and I feel better than I did before I ate it. Go figure...maybe I'm doing something wrong, or I have some other problem. If anyone can relate/have anything to say, I would be open to any comments!

--------------------
IBS-C, gastroparesis, burping, bloating, spasms

#273221 - 07/09/06 07:13 PM
Kendreas

Reged: 07/09/06

Hello,

I'm also new here. I had a Nissan Fundoplication in 2002. The acid reflux has disappeared, but I now have diarreah, bloating and constant pain. I sure hope the tea and pills I ordered really helps. I have gone back and forth to the doctor so many times with hopes of getting relief, but I haven't had any luck. It would be nice to put on a pair of jeans without looking like I'm nine months pregnant. I really look like I'm pregnant! I'm glad there are more people with the same symptoms. I was beginning to think I was seriously ill with some rare disease!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 952

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review