All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is the South Beach Diet any good?
      #271389 - 06/28/06 10:21 AM
chri

Reged: 03/25/06

I've noticed that the South Beach Diet products have very high fiber content and I was wondering if these products are good for people with IBS.
Their frozen pizza has 10g of fiber and 2 peanut butter cookies have 4g of fiber. It's a diet food, so the cheeses are low-fat.
Is this stuff any good???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is the South Beach Diet any good? new
      #271400 - 06/28/06 11:08 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Never tried 'em, but if you're on the IBS diet you shouldn't be eating any cheese...regardless of fat content. And packed food like that generally has a lot of stuff added that can be triggers. I would probably avoid them.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#271427 - 06/28/06 02:13 PM
bjeans

Reged: 06/22/06

I don't know that I'd start up with processed foods, and cheese is a trigger for many IBS people. But the South Beach Diet itself is a very Mediterranean style diet - good carbs, whole foods, lots of veggies, some fruit, etc. You just have to modify a bit for IBS.

When I was on it, my IBS symptoms disappeared. I got lazy and guess what. They have nutritionists on their boards to answer questions and they're pretty familiar with IBS.

If anyone is interested, I would recommend paying for the board membership - even for a month - rather than using just the book. There have been MANY changes since the book was written.

It's very flexible. My husband (skinny, no IBS, of course!) eats some of their products but I'm not chancing those. Oh, and it is not a low-carb diet.

Beth

#271456 - 06/28/06 04:32 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Are you wanting to do South Beach to lose weight or for your IBS? I've done this diet in the past, too. I didn't stick with it very well, though. It allowed more good carbs than any of the other low-carb diets I tried. But I found it to be to have too many rules, which made it hard to follow. But that's just me. Plus I think I was burned out on the whole low-carb thing. I agree with the others that South Beach may not be the best diet for IBS as they call for eating things like cheese, nuts, whole grains, etc.

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#271546 - 06/29/06 07:58 AM
chri

Reged: 03/25/06

I'm not actually trying to do the South Beach diet, although losing weight is always good. I'm just always looking for foods that are high in fiber. I don't stick strictly to the IBS diet, although I have made some changes that have been a big help. I'm careful with the amount of cheese I have, but it's one thing that I can't give up altogether. Also, I'm not much of a cooker. Another reason I've been looking at the South Beach products.

#271560 - 06/29/06 08:55 AM
bjeans

You said you were burned out on the low carb thing. Keep in mind that the SBD is not low carb. It's actually high in good carbs.

I didn't find it had many rules, once you got used to it - more a big shift to a whole other way (very Mediterranean) of eating. And for quick/fast and on-the-go meals it was simple. But absolutely no eating plan is for everyone. And any way of eating has to be modified for IBS, but that was easy, espec. with the nutritionist support.

I started it for health first, losing weight, second. My skinny, healthy husband loved it too, for health and taste. But I'm not suggesting anyone go run to the site and try it - just saying my experience, which came up because someone asked about the new SBD products.

Beth

#271563 - 06/29/06 08:57 AM
bjeans

I'm not much of a cooker either! At least mostly not. You can always carefully try them, but when I've tried something iffy, it was not just before I had to go someplace!

#271695 - 06/29/06 04:59 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I meant that I have done so many of the other low-carb diets in the past, that by the time I got to SB, I was burned out on protein in general. I liked the good carbs, but SB suggests whole wheat/whole grain type carbs, which is bad for IBS. So, I didn't eat many of the carbs recommended and ate the protein. That's why I called it a low-carb diet, even though it really isn't. Sorry for the confusion.

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#271714 - 06/29/06 07:33 PM
bjeans

That's fine! I mostly chose whole grains on it other than wheat, like oats, and protein amount wasn't that much. Then again, wheat hasn't been a trigger, for some weird reason. I try to keep in mind glycemic index or I get such strong sugar cravings, so it gets difficult sometimes. Like with rice and white bread.

Just muddling along!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1272

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review