All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sharp Cramped Up Pain On Left Side. Help, Peas
      #271159 - 06/27/06 09:26 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Lately, Ive been experiencing horrible crmapy like-stabbing, sharp pain on my left side, below my left rib, where my colon is located. Is this is a side of IBS or something else? It feels.. crampy, almmost like someone or something is squeezing my colon on my left side.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sharp Cramped Up Pain On Left Side. Help, Peas new
      #271161 - 06/27/06 09:27 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

It could be trapped gas. Are you experiencing any other symptoms and have you talked to your doc about it?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#271162 - 06/27/06 09:28 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I cant get to my doctor. Everytime I call, i jsut get the answering machine. It may be trapped gas, but i dont know, it hurts so bad.

#271175 - 06/27/06 10:02 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

Are you an IBS C? If so here are my thoughts;

That is mainly where my pain is. I had the sharp stabbing pain as well as the dull-feels like I'm carrying ten extra pounds there- feeling. My guess is one or both of the following : trapped gas like others suggest, or trapped food, not moving through the colon. Your colon takes a very sharp turn right above that area.

This is what I do:
1. take pain meds if you have them,
2. Take a dose or extra dose of Milk of Magnesia,
3. Rub your stomach/upper abdomen in a circular pattern, start at bottom left move right, then up, over and down. This helps to move the gas through, plus it is something soothing to do.
3. Lie down on your left side knees drawn up, if possible, with a heating pad on the affected area, be careful not to burn yourself ( I put a towel over the heating pad even on low).
4. If you can handle it peppermint tea, ginger tea, or fennel tea may help. But if your stomach is quesy from the pain, avoid food and drink.

I hope you feel better soon. I certainly understand what you are going through. Best of luck.

#271176 - 06/27/06 10:03 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Is there a clinic you can go to? If it gets too bad you may want to go to the ER. I've found that lying in a hot bath relaxes my body and allows me to pass trapped gas. Hot tea will also help some.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#271329 - 06/28/06 04:37 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I am IBS-C and get that a lot. Sometimes I wonder if something is wrong because of how painful it is, but it's just stuff that's trapped. Usually gas. Unfortunately it just takes time to get worked out. Exercise usually helps...I ride my stationary bike for a bit and it seems to at least get things to budge a little...some relief from the pain. And yes, it feels like someone is just twisting and squeezing your intestines, while at the same time you feel like you're going to explode. It sounds just like me...and it's just IBS.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#272082 - 07/01/06 11:16 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

That is where my pain usually is as well though the sharp pains are fewer and further between keeping with the IBS diet and avoiding trigger foods. When I do get this pain I usually take my doctor prescribed anti-spasmodic (dicylcomine). However, this drug is only for occasional use for pain as it will often have no affect on breaking the cycle of diarrhea for me (and often prolong it). I hope that you get in to see a doctor but remember also to do your own research because in my experience not all general physicians are very knowledgable about IBS. Best of luck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2946 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review