All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Am going to try acupuncture for IBS-D and anxiety
      #271033 - 06/26/06 10:41 AM
nuggs1968

Reged: 06/26/06

Hello,
I'm new here (so to speak). I used to post here all the time and then quit once I started feeling better. I was on Effexor for about two years and have been completely off of it now for over a month. It was a rough road getting off of it, but I did it and now I'm back to the way I was before taking it. I have bad anxiety and IBS-D attacks mainly in the mornings. I took myself off of the Effexor because I was not happy with the weight gain and other side effects such as tremors, "brain jolts", lack of sex drive, etc., etc. I had my doctor's support and my husband's support in discontinuing the Effexor. I slowly weaned myself off gradually over a period of 7 months. I see my doctor in two weeks for a physical, but in the mean time, I've decided to try acupuncture for my situation. I called this morning to schedule an appointment for an initial consultation and I go today at 4:30. After I hung up the phone, I broke down crying in hopes this would help me. I don't want to go back on any medication because of the side effects. I kind of feel like a failure because of the way I feel now that I'm off the medication. I've been exercising regularly, watching what I eat, etc. Doing all the right things and nothing helps. It's soooo frustrating.

Can anyone give me some supportive thoughts as to my decision of trying acupuncture? Am I doing the right thing? I'm scared, frustrated, angry, sad. I need help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Am going to try acupuncture for IBS-D and anxiety new
      #271050 - 06/26/06 01:28 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've found the EFI Diet and Acacia to be the most helpful things for my IBS-D, but if you need more help, I absolutely think you should try acupuncture. I tried it for my IBS-D before finding this Website and it did help for several months (until I got a terrible case of food poisoning). I've posted about my experiences and you can do a Search to see what I (and I think a couple of other people) have said. Search across all Boards with no time limit and make sure you use both spellings:

acupuncture
accupuncture

(I used to be a good speller, but that seems to have vanished with the rise of spell-checkers. )

I didn't try acupuncture specifically for anxiety, but I found the sessions very soothing anyhow, so I imagine ones targeted specifically at anxiety would be even more soothing. And if you really think acupuncture is the way to go, don't be discouraged if the acupuncturist you see today isn't your cup of tea. I interviewed 3 acupuncturists before settling on one.

My acupuncturist also introduced me to Qijong (web page). I'm one of those people who is dead lazy about any kind of exercise, but when I do actually do the Five Treasures Practices, I find them calming.

I hope this helps and I hope even more that you find acupuncture helpful. Please do post about your session goes.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#271102 - 06/26/06 07:26 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I am sorry your in such a miserable place. I also took many meds (not effexor) for my D/anxiety with some of those very unpleasant side effects, it sucks. A friend became an acupuncturist and I went to her for a while. It did help with the anxiety, good luck and hope you find success. Until I found this website with Heather's diet and SFS I thought I would never be set free from that prison my body and mind kept me in. I'll keep you in my thoughts as you find a way to deal with this. Take care.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#271109 - 06/26/06 08:01 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Acupuncture has been known for some people to help IBS. The other thing you can try, if you haven't already, is hypnotherapy. It is very effective in helping IBS and anxiety.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#271180 - 06/27/06 10:11 AM
nuggs1968

I want to thank everyone for their support.
I went yesterday for my first acupuncture session yesterday. I was nervous, upset, crying at first when the acupuncturist was asking me questions. I felt like a bawling idiot. I felt weak for letting my emotions get the best of me again. But, he (the acupuncturist) was very comforting and understanding. He reassured me that I was in a safe place and that he "treats this all the time". I was somewhat calmer after the session, but then I got home and I felt like a "disappointment". I told my husband that I was trying acupuncture and I was expecting him to react with sarcasm and laughter, so I told him not to laugh, then I showed him the brochure. He said "well, if it works, great!" I was relieved at his reaction, so with my relief, I started crying and we had a little discussion where I was explaining to him how I felt like a disappointment because I'm not feeling well now that I'm off of Effexor. He didn't say much...just kept his eyes on the TV. So that made me even more upset. He wouldn't even give me a comforting hug or react when I'd try to cuddle with him in bed. I mentioned this to him and he (I felt) just kind of ignored me. I'm probably making something out of nothing. But, I'm just frustrated with his reaction. I told him that lately he doesn't show much affection towards me unless it is going to involve sex. He just rolled his eyes...which made things worse. I just feel like a big idiot...a disappointment.

I have another acupuncture session today.

Nuggs new
      #271197 - 06/27/06 11:04 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

What name did you use to post under? Welcome Back!

I have heard that acupuncture can be very helpful for IBS and many other things. I wish you lots of luck!

I am sorry to hear that your husband wasn't giving you the support that you need. Sometimes men just don't get it and don't understand what we need. I think husbands rely on their wives to take care of things and it throws them for a loop when we are sick.

We are all hear to give you support any time you need it.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

Edited by Janey (06/27/06 11:05 AM)

#271199 - 06/27/06 11:04 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

He seems to be the big disapointment. He goes from Thats great to ignoring you? Your trying to feel better. All you want is his love and support. I know people react in different ways, but he could have shown you more support than that.

Don't get discuraged. I've heard that it takes a few sesions before results become apparent. Have you thought of trying meditation and yoga? Maybe the acupuncturest can offer advice on other treatments.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Re: Nuggs new
      #271208 - 06/27/06 11:37 AM
nuggs1968

Thanks so much! I remember you Janey. I used to post under "Nugget". I'm reading your reply here at work trying to hold back the tears. I'm so frustrated with my husband and the whole anxiety, IBS situation that I don't know what to do. I hate to say much more about it to my husband because his mom is going in for minor surgery tomorrow. It seems I always get the "cold shoulder" from him when I'm not well. I'm about to the point where I wonder if I'd be happier single. I hate the thought of divorce...I love him...and we have some good times...wonderful times...it's these bad times that are so stressful...and I don't need that right now.

#271210 - 06/27/06 11:39 AM
nuggs1968

thanks so much. I knew I could come back here and get the support I need. I hate to say too much to those I know and love, because I don't want them to worry or get upset or think I'm crazy. I have some yoga tapes and tried the ibs hypnotherapy CDs a long time ago. I do feel better when I do the yoga...I never finished the CDs.

#271211 - 06/27/06 11:46 AM
Janey

Nugget,

I knew it was you. I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing. I am so happy to see you back here, I have missed you. I am sorry that you are feeling bad again though and like I said before we are here for you.

Men can be very insensative sometimes. I have been married for 22 years and I love my DH very much but sometimes he still doesn't get my IBS or any other time I may not be feeling well. I really think they don't know how to empathize and like I said before they really rely on us more than they want to admit and when we aren't well they don't know how to handle it. This comes off as being cold or not caring when sometimes I don't think they know what to do. It seems so simple for us we just need a hug and know that they care.

Don't give up yet. Get things straightened out with you and how you are feeling emotionally and physically. It sounds like you are taking postive steps with the acupuncture to try to make yourself feel better. I really have heard good things about this and hopefully it will work for you.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#271214 - 06/27/06 11:47 AM
Janey

Consider starting the CD's again. They really are very helpful. I remember we bought them at the same time way back when.

--------------------
Janey

#271238 - 06/27/06 01:39 PM
nuggs1968

Thanks...I'll try to do the CDs again. Did you finish the whole program?

#271242 - 06/27/06 01:51 PM
nuggs1968

thanks again, Janey! It really helps to come here.

The bad thing I hate about being upset with my husband right now is that our anniversary is next week (July 4...eight years). I don't want to be mad on our anniversary. I love him dearly...he just....excuse the language...pisses me off sometimes. And it usually is around when I don't feel good.

Thanks so much for the support.

hugs

#271251 - 06/27/06 02:25 PM
Janey

Yes I did and it did help me. I am getting ready to go through the program again. It is very relaxing and calming.

--------------------
Janey

Welcome back..... new
      #271258 - 06/27/06 04:33 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Nugget,

I remember you. Do you still have the Goldens? We had to have Rusty put down at 13 because of a cancerous nasal tumor. It was a very sad time.

Then we adopted a rescue Golden from Golden Beginnings last September. Her name is Annie and she is 2 yrs old. She's a joy to us and a wonderful dog.

I'm so sorry you are having a tough time. My son is in the process of getting off Zoloft after being on it for many years. He had a really tough time with withdrawal and his emotions are all out of wack. He tapered but hasn't gone completely off yet. He's still taking a small dose every few days to keep his moods in check. I have read up on this and it just takes time for the body to get back to normal. Maybe your sadness is still from the withdrawal and you will get better on your own.

My dad used to have accupuncture for his back pain and it worked very well for him. I hope you will have success with it.

I have been trying something new for getting to sleep. I got a pillow speaker and a relaxation CD and listen to it at night in bed. It is very relaxing. You might try something like that to relax you in the evenings.

I know your husband's reactions are upsetting but sometimes it's just the way men are and that's about all I can say about that.

Get better soon
Barbie

--------------------

Re: Welcome back..... new
      #271276 - 06/27/06 06:00 PM
nuggs1968

Hi Barbie...
Thanks for the "welcome back". So sorry to hear about Rusty. Sounds like Annie is a wonderful dog and will have a terrific home.

Thanks so much for your support. It's good to be back here. It really helps.

hugs

#271334 - 06/28/06 06:21 AM
Janey

They have a way of doing that every now and then. Hopefully you can have a peace about things by the time the 4th rolls around that way you can enjoy your anniversary. On the 4th don't think about anything except why you love him and why you got married.

I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating why you love each other.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

Barbie new
      #271335 - 06/28/06 06:23 AM
Janey

It is good to see you here. I sure do miss you and Bev! Hope you both are doing ok.

--------------------
Janey

#271376 - 06/28/06 09:45 AM
nuggs1968

thanks Janey...

I'm going to do my verybest to just overlook things, keep the peace, and have an enjoyable anniversary. Life's too short to do otherwise...right?

Last night was a bit better. I had my second acupuncture session and it went good. I felt really relaxed afterward. So hopefully something is doing some good.

My friend here at work e-mailed me this cute anniversary joke...

A married couple in their early 60s was out celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary in a quiet, romantic little restaurant. Suddenly, a tiny yet beautiful fairy appeared on their table and said, "For being such an exemplary married couple and for being faithful to each other for all this time, I will grant you each a wish."

"Oh, I want to travel around the world with my darling husband," said the wife. The fairy waved her magic wand and poof! - two tickets for the Queen Mary II luxury liner appeared in her hands. Then it was the husband's turn.

He thought for a moment and said, "Well, this is all very romantic, but an opportunity like this will never come again. I'm sorry, my love, but my wish is to have a wife 30 years younger than me."

The wife and the fairy were deeply disappointed, but a wish is a wish...

So the fairy waved her magic wand and - poof! - the husband became 92
years old. . .

The moral of the story: Men must remember fairies are female.

#271392 - 06/28/06 10:43 AM
Janey

You are right, life is too short. I'm glad things were better last night and that the second acupuncture went well.

I love the anniversary joke. Very cute and made me laugh out loud. I'll have to pass that on to my husband.

Take care and continue to feel better.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#271399 - 06/28/06 10:56 AM
nuggs1968

thanks

hugs to you, too!

Hi Janey new
      #271426 - 06/28/06 02:04 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Janey,

Thanks for asking about me and Bev. I have been very busy with work lately so it doesn't leave much time to post.
I'm going to be a granny again which I'm very excited about.

Bev has been kayaking almost every day now that the weather is nicer in Washington State. She is doing fine keeping busy with her knitting. I don't think she gets on the boards much anymore. I check in from time to time and read some posts to keep up with everybody but don't always have time to post.

Hope everything is OK with you.

Barbie

--------------------

I remember you "Nugget" new
      #271428 - 06/28/06 02:14 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I don't have any advice on the acupuncture but I wanted to welcome you back... I remember you "Nugget" with the cute doggies!! It is good to have you back....not that your not doing well, but just cuz we missed ya!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Hi, Nugget! new
      #271486 - 06/28/06 06:54 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I can't believe we finally heard from you. I have thought of you often. Do you remember me (Beaglelover)?
I'm sorry you are not doing as well without the med. I can emphathize. I just recently stopped taking my med for bipolar because of the side effects (similar to yours), and I'm not doing as well without it. It is extremely frustrating! You're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. I doing like making this choice!

Congrats on weaning yourself off the medicine because I know that is not easy. I would say go for the acupunture and see if it helps you. I see a physiatrist (for my back problems) and he is a firm believer in acupunture. What do you have to lose by trying it?

Good luck----and welcome back! I've missed you!

Re: Hi, Nugget! new
      #271565 - 06/29/06 09:18 AM
nuggs1968

Hey Beagle! I've missed everyone, too! I'm sorry I left. I felt great on the Effexor as far as my IBS-D went because one of the side effects was constipation. So without the IBS-D I didn't have near the anxiety. The Effexor helped with my moods, etc. But the side effects of weight gain (I gained roughly 25 lbs.), no sex drive, sweats, tremors, "brain jolts", etc., etc. weren't worth it. Then coming off of it was a nightmare! I almost didn't think I could do it. So now I'm back to where I was before starting Effexor. The weight is slowly coming off. My mom and I joined Curves and we go as much as we can. The most frustrating thing is my stomache and IBS-D. I have it the worst along with anxiety first thing in the morning. When I was on Effexor I went for months without taking Imodium...now I have to take at least two every day! So frustrating!

Thanks so much for the loving support. I'm glad to be back. I go in today for another (my third) acupuncture session. It's not a quick fix like medication, but what he has explained to me has made sense and I'm willing to give it a try. I go to my regular doctor in two weeks for a physical and will discuss some options with him, too. Hopefully I can get this all worked out.

hugggggsssss!

Re: I remember you "Nugget" new
      #271566 - 06/29/06 09:20 AM
nuggs1968

Hi Shell!! It's good to be back among friends...I just wish we all felt better. Nobody really knows what we are going through with this unless they have gone through it. There's some days when I feel so alone in all of this frustration. It's nice to get the loving support we all get here.

huggggsss!

#272080 - 07/01/06 11:08 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

Good for you for trying a alternative. I applaud your move to live without medication and anything you can try to make that life better is worth doing. Best of luck!

Re:Hey, girl! Good to see you! new
      #272509 - 07/05/06 05:39 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Acupuncture sounds like a good idea. Also, keep in mind that SSRIs are all different. You may have better luck on a different one. Effexor is notorious for its nasty side effects - I should know - I was on it, too. But, it made my IBS disappear completely. Ask your Doc about trying another SSRI. Plus, the sexual side effects can be taken care of by taking wellbutrin as well.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re:Hey, girl! Good to see you! new
      #272534 - 07/05/06 09:09 AM
nuggs1968

Hi HanS! Good to "see" you. I've missed everyone. Glad to be back. Am having a rough time and really appreciate all the support. How have you been?

#272815 - 07/06/06 03:01 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I just had my first acupunture appointment today and it seems to be helping a bit with my IBS symptoms already! Plus, acupuncture is safe, has no side-effects, and there's no harm in trying it. I'd say go for it!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#272834 - 07/06/06 05:29 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

ancupuncture can work well for management i find, but also the other option if it doesn't work as well as you want it to, is to try the natural anti depressants and se if they produce ibs relief in the same way that ssri's do. Zoloft worked quite well for me, but i hated the side effects, soon i will be trying sam-e to see if it works on my stomach the way that the ssri and tricyclics do.
Good luck with the acupuncture, if anything it is very relaxing.

#272835 - 07/06/06 05:33 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

it can be hard on the men in our lives, I try all sorts of different things knowing that one day i will find one that works. My boyfriend is very supposrtive most of the time but sometimes he gets frustrated when i try something that sets back my progress and less intimacy is involved since i feel nauseous. Men tend to just go for the sex sometimes when they don't realize how it can make us feel, try to not let it bother you and try to concentrate on you to get better and when you do the sex will come back. try talking to him about it at a later time when you are really calm so he doesn't feel like you are being overly emotional.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6149

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review