All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Basic Soluble Fiber Question
      #270633 - 06/22/06 07:24 PM
bjeans

Reged: 06/22/06

It's great to find this site. Sorry for the novice question, but I'm confused about a basic premise. There is a list here called "Soluble Fiber Foods ~ the Basis of the IBS Diet." And the paragraph that precedes it says that "the grain and cereal foods at the top of this list make the safest, easiest, and most versatile soluble fiber foundations for your meals and snacks.[1]"

What I'm unclear about, is that according to the labels, many of these items have no fiber, or 1 gram - for instance:

Rice, pasta and noodles, fresh white breads such as French or sourdough, rice cereals, mushrooms, bananas, applesauce etc.

And in the "when you can't eat anything" section (right now for me!), similarly, foods are listed like pretzels, saltines, white breads, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing something, and would appreciate your help.

(I have had IBS for quite some time, though have had it largely under control for a couple years through diet - a more Mediterranean style diet a la South Beach Diet. But I got sick a few weeks ago and have been miserable ever since. Plus I had been pushing the envelope, eating things I should never - ever - touch.)

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

As I understand it.... new
      #270666 - 06/23/06 04:52 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The fiber content on labels is primarily insoluble fiber, unless it's otherwise specifically noted. That's the only logical explanation I could come up with, although someone else will definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

The foods you mentioned are definitely soluble fiber, and the safest foods to eat, especially when you're flaring up. I tend to just ignore the fiber information on those labels. LOL

Re: Basic Soluble Fiber Question new
      #270673 - 06/23/06 05:58 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I read your post late last night and was too tired to put a cognitive thought together. But this morning I thought of how these foods absorb water (pasta, rice etc) and that is what I want it to do in my gut. I'm a D and this slowed my bowel down quick. Once the basic diet did that I could add the IF (which we must do) without too many problems. It's been over a year and as long as I put the SF in first the rest usually does ok. Not a very good medical answer but I do know what works for me. I take other supplements also but the diet is the basis for the rest.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#270759 - 06/23/06 02:00 PM
bjeans

Thanks so much - what you both said makes sense. (Bonus: Franny has a name of a character in one of my favorite books.)

When I called to order acaccia and other products today, I asked the question. I think I was combining the two lists in my head. The foods on the list of *what to eat when you can't eat anything* aren't necessarily high in soluble fiber - they're just nice, safe foods.

Enjoy the weekend -
Beth

#270769 - 06/23/06 05:00 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

The idea is to base your meals on potatoes, rice, bread, and pasta and use those foods to incorporate in as much insoluble fiber as your body can tolerate and to take a soluble fiber supplement. I make things like steamed white rice with fish and add green veggies to it to add IF. I think that is what you were asking about. But if I'm wrong, I'll try again.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#270798 - 06/24/06 07:20 AM
bjeans

Hi - and thanks - what you say makes complete sense.

I had just been trying to figure out why some of the foods on the soluble foods lists actually don't have much, if any, soluble fiber.

But I was reading one list wrong. The "what you can eat when you can't eat anything" list includes foods that are very safe - they don't necessarily have soluble fire - they're just easy on the gut when times are tough.

Yum, Rice Chex!

I love Rice Chex new
      #270817 - 06/24/06 09:17 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I like to make a powdered sugar icing and put a light coat on rice chex. I mix powdered sugar with a little water (just enough to moisten the sugar) until it's smooth. Then I slowly add in the sugar to the rice chex and mix them until they're all evenly coated. Then microwave for 30 seconds at a time in a glass bowl until the rice chex are dry. It's a tasty treat when you're craving sweets. Measurements are to taste. You just have to play with it until you find the right flavor for you.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 992 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 857

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review