All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Has anyone here used Imodium for an extended period of time?
      #269701 - 06/15/06 04:34 PM
torre

Reged: 11/14/05

I have tried everything to prevent my gas, bloating and diarrhea. Nothing works! Can anyone tell me if Imodium is a good and effective solution? Can it be taken safely daily for quite some time? How many pills should be taken to avoid diarrhea but not cause constipation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Torre

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone here used Imodium for an extended period of time? new
      #269724 - 06/15/06 05:54 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've taken Immodium for extended periods of time and it is safe to do so. However, I don't recommend using it for gas/bloating. Are you following Heather's diet?

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: I wouldnt.... new
      #269729 - 06/15/06 06:07 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I wouldnt. I used to use Imodium a lot and it caused me to develop an intestinal blockage. I would definately consult your doctor first.

Re: I wouldnt.... & I agree Lyndeigh ... new
      #269739 - 06/15/06 07:14 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I am ibs d, and used imodium too much before I started Heather's diet. Now I use it for my worst case scenarios only ... those days when I have d and have to work at the plant. And on those days I am now taking no more than 2 tablets in 24 hours. I have never worried too much about gas ... lots of stairs at work and it seems to work itself out.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#269743 - 06/15/06 08:29 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I've been using it for years but only as needed. Have you tried the acacia fiber, hypnosis, Heather's diet...?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#269786 - 06/16/06 06:00 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Medically speaking, it is perfectly safe to take as high a dose you need daily for as long as you need - there are no long term usage issues. Also, it can prove to be a life-saving drug when it comes to stopping your D.

HOWEVER, as a couple of people state below, it depends very, very much on the person taking them. For example, there are people on here who take 1/2 at a time, because taking a whole tablet will constipate them. Whereas with myself, if I am going out I take between 4 and 8 tablets, depending how bad my tum is to start with, and I have no problem whatsoever going to the toilet the next day (I think once out of about 50 times over the past year I've not been able to go the next day). My GI, who's pretty much the most respected authority on IBS in the whole of the UK, said he has many, many patients who take 10+ EVERY day, and one who takes 16 a day, and they have been doing so for decades with zero side effects. So, all depends on the individual.

So I'd start small, maybe 1 or 1/2 when you need it, and work up if you need more. Good luck!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#269922 - 06/17/06 06:06 AM
torre

Thanks for the info! Very encouraging!!

#269923 - 06/17/06 06:10 AM
torre

Yes I am following the diet and may I ask why you don't recommend it for gas and bloating? Thanks! Torre

#269924 - 06/17/06 06:12 AM
torre

I've tried everything. Thanks for responding. Torre

Re: I wouldnt.... new
      #269925 - 06/17/06 06:15 AM
torre

That's frightening! Thank you I'll proceed with caution. Torre

Re: I wouldnt.... & I agree Lyndeigh ... new
      #269926 - 06/17/06 06:17 AM
torre

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. This really helps! Torre

#269959 - 06/17/06 11:44 AM
dhaggerty

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Northeast, Bucks County, PA

I carry it with me wherever I go. It does help, and I' just take it as I need it, and have never been C'd with it.

I don't know how it works, but it does. Acacia is another thing I take, and since being on Heather's diet, things have been much much quieter!

Immodium is for D, not gas and bloating! new
      #270048 - 06/18/06 10:38 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Immodium is for D and not gas and bloating. While gas and bloating may accompany D, they are separate issues as well and there are other OTC meds. to treat this as well as the sensible and effective methods of Heather! Immodium can even give you a case of bloating.

For gassiness associated with foods, besides Heather's diet guidelines, you might try Beano. I find it effective for food related gas and use it daily. Indeed, I would eat very little if Beano did not exist. Simethecone (in Phayzyme and Gas-X) is amazing for gassiness, especially trapped gas. I use a generic brand if required. Immodium Advanced contains simethecone.

I advise that you use Immdium for D and not gas and bloating.

Fennel and Peppermint tea are outstanding for gassiness/bloating, especially long-term. A little exercise and yoga do wonders as well.

Kate, IBS-D.

I've used Imodium for about 11 years daily new
      #270435 - 06/21/06 05:40 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I am prescribed 8 a day, and usually take more to control my D, but more importantly act as a preventative. These are other people on these boards who do exactly the same thing, though there are others who find a tablet a bedtime just does fine.

I usually supplement my 8/day with Imodium Advanced, which I but OTC. I love that simethicone (gas reducer) in Imodium Advanced, and the natural sweetener sorbitol they use in it (normally found in apples) is not a problem with me as an additive.

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2884

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review