All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Abigail, ACUPUNCTURE, FLAX, PRUNES!! new
      #270012 - 06/17/06 11:45 PM
lorien

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: Wales, U.K

Hi Abi,

1. FLAX AND PRUNES

You mentioned that you mix 2 tablespoons of flax seeds with prunes and then eat them before breakfast. I wonder if you're grinding the seeds?

I think this may be too acidic to put onto an empty stomach first thing in the morning!

I did a course on naturapathic nutrition a few years ago, and I remember being told that if people can't use oils for EFAs, then to soak or grind flax for the oils. If you don't soak them it's better for constipation.

This may just be 1 point of view, but it's worth a thought if you're taking as much as 2 tablespoons at breakfast.

Perhaps it's worth trying to have one tablespoon soaked at night before bed, to set your gut up with something slippery for overnight, and in preparation for the morning. Then soak another overnight ready for the morning, and take it 1st thing.

It could be that you're taking too much all in one go in the morning, and this is too fatty and rich for your system. Flax is rich in oils, which we need, but as you know oils need to be handled carefully for IBS.

I've had to stop prunes for breakfast (for now) because they cause me pain and discomfort. I've replaced with millet and pear warmed in soya milk. This is very gentle and soothing on the stomach and colon, and is pain free ~ for me!

I found that when I first changed to this breakfast and eating more SF for my stomach, I was definately more constipated, as my body always reacts this way to a new system. But I had to go through with it because my stomach wouldn't take anything else! Trying to sort one end affected the other end, but now it's beginning to come right with the glasses of flax.

I have bought the Acacia powder, but will try it later. I don't want to add too many new things at once.

2. ACUPUNCTURE

It saved my life so far as I'm concerned! I was very poorly and I went through several years of regular acupuncture treatment.

It did help a lot with assisting my liver to cope with the toxic load that my body couldn't deal with on its own. If the liver can't cope then it's suggested that it throws the load onto the colon. If the colon can't cope it throws the load onto the skin. The toxicity tries to get out one way or another! Your body will always try and do its best for you!

It's easy to forget that the liver is a vital part of the digestive system, and to start treating ourselves in a piece meal way...........

Acupuncture can help with both pain relief and IBS, but there may be others who have tried it and don't like it. If you were to explore this route then I would suggest that the best way to approach it would be to see it as a therapy and a journey to take to healing oneself. It approaches the mind body and spirit, as opposed to just tackling the body.

In acupuncture the colon is related to grief, and the liver is related to anger. I find that whenever my liver is irritated I'm extremely irritable and angry!

Not everyone will see things in this way! So far as I'm concerned we are more than our bodies and what affects the body affects the mind and spirit, and vice versa. It's simply my personal experience.

Acupuncture treats the whole energy system, but it does need more than 1 session, and isn't always a quick fix.

I hope this helps ~ let me know if you have anymore questions. There will be loads of info avaliable to you about acupuncture in the USA/Canada.

The British Council for Acupuncture has a website, which is www.acupuncture.org.uk

There will be other info on the net if you do a search for acupuncture.

Hope all this helps!

Sending you lots of warm healing blessings!

Joanna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is the Chinese herb everyone is taking?? new
      #270039 - 06/18/06 09:47 AM
lorien

Hi,

I think it must be Baebbe. You'll find more info on www.baebbe.com

Joanna

#270041 - 06/18/06 10:03 AM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

I looked at the website for Baebbe. The herbs are very similar to the ones I am taking n Xiang Sha Yang Wei Wan. However, Baebbe is VERY expensive. The Chinese Herb I am taking costs about $5 for 200 pills. Granted you take 8 capsules three times daily but it still is much less expensive. It is true that some herbs can be very cheap and not contain the ingredients they claim to contain but so far, my intestines are doing well so I am assuming the herb is in the capsule!! When I am NOT on the herb, I have relapse.

#270046 - 06/18/06 10:34 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Can you take this everyday? I'm interested in trying it!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Re: Abigail, ACUPUNCTURE, FLAX, PRUNES!! new
      #270050 - 06/18/06 10:56 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Hello Joanna,

WOW!!!!!Thank you so much for all the wonderful help and info. It's so nice to know that there are people like you in this board that care. Thank you and every one you for the help. I hope I'm able to help as well, somehow.
About the prunes and flax seeds, I'm not grinding the seeds, I just soak in water the night before. Maybe if I only eat 3 prunes(instead of 5) in the morning it's better. What do you think? I just want to eat enough IF daily so I can have daily BM. I know I need to go everyday to feel better, always been that way. I might need to reduce(a little) the amount of flax seed I'm eating. I need to gain some weight and I thought that the fat in the flax would help me. I also use olive oil with my dinner to help me.

I'm so glad then acupuncture helped you so much. I agree with you, we are more than just body, we are mind, soul and spirit. I renew my mind, my soul and my spirit with the word of God(Bible)daily. I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me.

God bless you and yours always !
Abi

p.s. I was finally able to post my picture.

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

#270080 - 06/18/06 04:06 PM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

Yes, the herb I wrote about is taken three times daily for at least one month. Like any chinese herb, the goal is to rebalance the body so the hope is that you will not need it once your body is back in normal balance. I have not gotten to that point yet so I am not sure what would happen.
Will, of course, keep everyone posted.

Re: HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!! new
      #270150 - 06/19/06 06:44 PM
gardenmom

Reged: 06/19/06

Has anyone used the acacia fiber supplement and zelnorm together? I am on zelnorm now, but want to get off of it. Started out good, but has worn off. Bloating back, etc. I've ordered Kit #2 and the teas, but I'm not sure about taking the two (acacia and zelnorm) together.

#270175 - 06/19/06 08:56 PM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Abigail, Your flax seeds should be ground into meal. I think that stuff is great. I take 3 T/day. Zelnorm gave me terrible cramps, but I'm doing ok with triphala, flaxmeal, acacia and magnesium. Hope you get better. Bette

--------------------
(cool)

Abigail Re "What do I think?" new
      #270201 - 06/20/06 07:39 AM
lorien

Hi again Abi,

You asked what I thought about cutting the prunes back! I think that it would be worth trying to wean yourself gently off the prunes, and try to bring in other more alakaline forms of IF. Alkalaine veggies may be better for you than prunes right now. Also the sugar may be irritating your system.

Lovely to see a photo of you! My turn next! Got an endoscopy tomorrow so it will have to wait!

Thanks for your appreciation!

Joanna

#270220 - 06/20/06 09:31 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Hello Bette,
Thank you so much for the info. About the flax seeds, you said that I should ground into meal. Does that mean I should buy flaxmeal? or I should eat it the flax seeds with my food. Can you tell me more about that triphala and magnesium? How do you take all that daily? Sorry for so many questions, but I need to learn and I need help. I have and appt. with my GI doc this afternoon, lets see what he has to say. I want to find a good Naturopath around here, but I haven't found one. I looked in the phone book and online. Any ideas??? I appreciate all the wonderful help and info. Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2552 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22097

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review