All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Accidentally drank milk
      #269678 - 06/15/06 02:20 PM
OCDA

Reged: 02/02/06

I know this sounds silly, but I went to Starbuck's and ordered a SOY Green Tea Latte (iced) and I think they made it with real milk-it was cold so I didn't really notice the different taste. I have been well able to tolerate these (made with Soy) in the past, but now my gut is absolutely killing me. It's the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, there's a question in here...

I'm IBS-D and things have ground to a complete halt and the pain is excruciating...so my question is, how can I get this stuff out of me???? I think I'm just reacting over and over to it, now. I am drinking as much fennel tea as I can tolerate (any liquid makes the pain worse), and I'm taking Peppermint capsules twice a day. I was already up to 4 T Acacia every day. Should I increase this?

I've been pretty faithful to Heather's diet guidelines and have been mosttly symptom free for the last six months, so this setback is very disheartening.

Please help
Cyndy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Accidentally drank milk new
      #269744 - 06/15/06 08:33 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You can try going back to the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet for a few days to reset your system and then incorporate other foods back in. There were many times when I had to start the diet over before I got stable.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#269745 - 06/15/06 08:34 PM
Jorjina

Reged: 06/15/06

Try a bland diet for a day or two. plain potatoes, no peel, FF breads and crackers. Boiled chicken breast and Heathers rice puddings are the best! I wouldn't increase your acacia fiber if you are up to 4 tbs. If you don't have the cook book, you need it now. I find that altoids work well for me if I get tired of drinking tea. Hang in there and it will get better!

How To Deal With An Attack new
      #269849 - 06/16/06 02:02 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I totally understand what you're going through. I've been in "IBS attack mode" many times over the years. I've been in such agony that even water has increased the pain and nausea level.

Here are my recommendations:

1. Drink peppermint tea. Each sip will neutralize the pain for a minute or two. Peppermint contains an anesthesic so that's why it helps with pain relief.

2. Drink hot water (boiled). It will also help sooth your tummy.

3. Use a heating pad or hot bottle on your tummy. This will help too.

4. Don't make the mistake of not eating. Not eating will make your situation worse. My comfort food when I used to get painful attacks was always very plain chicken soup, which I made myself from scratch using kosher or harmone-free chicken, fresh parsley, carrots, potatoes and Basmati white rice.

5. Eat and drink small amounts often.

In my case, an attack took up to two weeks to recover from. I would continue to have pain throughout that time.

I shudder to remember those awful times. Thank goodness I discovered this website and figured out how to apply Heather's diet to the betterment of my life!

By the way, some IBS people find the pain so excruciating that they have been known to go to Emergency for a morphine IV. I've seen postings of this on this website. An IBS attack can be extremely painful so don't feel bad if you need to go to the hospital for pain relief. Just don't take any pain medication orally since this will greatly worsen your attack. Pain medication is very hard on the stomach so make sure it is either injected or given through an IV.

One final recommendation. It is always best to prepare your own food and not to buy ready-made foods or eat in restaurants, etc. When you prepare your own food, you have full control over what you consume and you, therefore, greatly reduce the chances of unwittingly eating or drinking something that will irritate your IBS.

Hope you feel better very soon.

Belinda

#269960 - 06/17/06 11:49 AM
dhaggerty

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Northeast, Bucks County, PA

Follow the advice given, a setback can be so devastating. I've been on the acacia and Heather's diet, since June 5. I've had 3 attacks which is way way less than prior to the diet.

Chicken broth seems to help me, and the peppermint tea. Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon !

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review