All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bagels
      #269255 - 06/13/06 07:43 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

How do you guys do with bagels, are these compataible foods?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bagels new
      #269261 - 06/13/06 08:15 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm okay with plain bagels anytime.

I'm also okay with "everything" bagels, but I don't know that I would have been before I was stable.

#269278 - 06/13/06 09:12 PM
Naturapanic

I have heard mixed things about bagels.
Reviewing th eingredients, I do not see why poppy seed bagels would pose any problem, it's soluable at its tastiest.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#269298 - 06/13/06 11:20 PM
JennB

Reged: 02/19/05

I'm stable, eat a bagel every single day and have for years. Sarah Lee plain are the best - no random ingredients, not too big and not too sweet, so you can put just about anything you want on them.

#269344 - 06/14/06 09:43 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am okay with plain bagels, I usually toast them and put some dairy free margarine and garlic salt on them

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#269381 - 06/14/06 11:06 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Bagels are much too heavy for me, and they give me really bad gas...I used to be able to handle half every once in a while, but I can't eat them anyway, ever since my recent Type 1 diabetes diagnosis...

Back before all the health issues, I used to love toasted everything bagels with cream cheese, tomatoes, avocado, and garlic salt...mmmmmmm!

*sigh*

--------------------
Julia

#269405 - 06/14/06 12:11 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I visit the Silicon Valley area every two months and I've been unable in six years to find any bagels I can tolerate there so I pack a couple dozen and bring them with me from Toronto!

Plain bagels dubbed "parve" made by a good Jewish bakery (which means no milk products), and made from white flour, are usually pretty safe. However, I've tried Izzie's bagels on University Avenue in Palo Alto, but they don't sit well with me even though they don't contain any dairy.

The bagels I buy from the Open Window bakery in Toronto are very digestible. I have the bakery special bake them for me without the corn meal on the underside.

I don't recommend anything other than bagels that are plain. For example, I wouldn't recommend poppy seed bagels.

If you've been diagnosed with diabetes, then all white bread products (bagels included) are a no-no for you because they all contain added sugar. Sugar is needed as part of the baking chemistry for these products. Refined foods in general aren't good for diabetics because they contain a high natural sugar content. Refined foods include most varieties of white rice. (White Basmatic rice isn't too bad for diabetics, but check it out first with your doctor.)

The IBS diet is definitely a challenge for anyone who has diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I am hypoglycemic with a long family history of diabetes, which means I am a prime candidate for diabetes. I gave up sugar (except for in my bagels!) about 20 years ago in an effort to stave off diabetes for as long as I can!

#269473 - 06/14/06 05:23 PM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

It is so strange - when first diagnosed, I thought "bagels...they should be safe" but I cannot tolerate bagels - not even 1 bite! They give me horrible gas. It is so sad because I love bagels and cream cheese. Oh well....

#269502 - 06/14/06 06:54 PM
Naturapanic

That's what makes this tricky.
I would think bagels would be suitable, because they are soluable fiber.

However, I notice when I have more than an occasional bagel, I feel bloated, like I have trapped gas.
I get this same feeling when I have more than a small amount of cereal, which lead me to suspect bagels cause a high amount of gas, which the IBS retains internally.

I had a bagel Monday.
I had two bagels yesterday, and have felt bloated with trapped gas today.

What I don't understand is why bagels would be unsafe, what makes them more dangerous than bread?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#269506 - 06/14/06 07:03 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

I guess with everything else I've had to give up, I'm still able to eat a bagel. The one that I have no trouble with is the sourdough bagel from The Great Canadian Bagel. Of course I've had to give up the cream cheese...but oh well. It's good toasted...

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#269578 - 06/15/06 07:37 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I love bagels, particularly pumpernickel ones!

However, note that a lot of commercial bagels are *huge* - the equivalent of several slices of bread. Eating too much at one sitting can make you feel gross just like eating a trigger food can. Commercial bagels can also have lots of preservatives, HFCS, etc.

--AC

#269595 - 06/15/06 08:09 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Bagels give me heartburn for some reason! Seems like they should be "safe" but I really wonder about them. Maybe if you made your own.

Bagel Secrets new
      #269621 - 06/15/06 09:49 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I honestly think your problem isn't with the bagel, but possibly with the brand of bagel you are buying. Let's face it food companies (bakeries, etc.) add a lot of junk into baked goods. So the discomfort you could be experiencing may be due to the junk (additives, etc.) that is being added. Who knows maybe the bagels you are eating even contain milk products! Oy vey!

I would recommend the following:

1. Check the ingredients on the bagels you are buying to make sure they're safe.

2. Buy your bagels at a good bakery. A bakery that bakes natural products with no additives is generally best.

3. Stick to plain white-flour bagels with no seeds.

4. Check how the bagel is being made. For example, Open Window here in Toronto actually boils the bagel dough before baking them!

5. Make sure whatever you are putting on the bagels is IBS-safe.

6. Restrict your intake to just one bagel per day. I find I get gas if I try to have more than one bagel in 24 hours. I get the same problem with white bread too.

It is interesting to note that according to IBS research, the jury isn't out yet on the effects of white wheat flour on IBS. In other words, it hasn't been definitely determined yet as to whether wheat may be an IBS trigger in some cases. Obviously it can be a trigger in insoluble form (whole wheat). But there's debate as to whether it may also be a trigger in soluble form (white wheat flour).

Belinda

Re: Bagel Secrets new
      #269637 - 06/15/06 11:06 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

4. Check how the bagel is being made. For example, Open Window here in Toronto actually boils the bagel dough before baking them!

Oy - if they're not boiling them before baking them, they're not bagels!

--AC the bagel snob

#269646 - 06/15/06 11:28 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I can't eat bagels at all, because I always feel so full and bloated afterwards that it hurts. Sometimes I may eat half of a mini bagel, but that's it. This isn't the case for everyone, though.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review