All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
at a loss....
      #268635 - 06/10/06 12:12 PM
biz

Reged: 06/10/06

I've been wrestling with what I suppose is IBS for nearly 10 yrs...I've tried sooo many different diets, approaches...have had respite for periods of time and then it comes back. I'm trying Heather's approach with diet & even acacia fiber but still am gaining weight, having diarrhea and extreme amounts of gas & bloating & discomfort....I feel like I am at my end. Any sense of how long this may take or what else I can do? Does anyone know of a connection to hormones? I think an endicronologist is my next step as things get worse near my period...I'm just reaching out...thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: at a loss.... new
      #268645 - 06/10/06 12:42 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Hormones definately play in to IBS and things are always harder to maintain for me around my period. BC helps that a lot. There have been other postings on here before that you can search for and read about. Have you been diagnosed by a GI with IBS? There are many exams and tests that need to be done to rule out other things. Generally, to my knowledge, people with diarrhea as a symptom usually lose weight rather than gain weight because everything passes through their system before their body is able to absorb what it needs. It takes everyone a different amount of time to stabilize on this diet. It took me 2 years to get completely stable. Give it time and the diet has to be followed strictly until you are stable.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#268646 - 06/10/06 12:45 PM
biz

thank yoU! I have been to numerous doctors and have ruled just about everything else out. I may see an endocrinologist. I'm at a loss because I do stick with the diet and continue to gain weight. Thanks!

Anyone else have some more ideas on this? new
      #268647 - 06/10/06 12:48 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I wouldn't wait to see anybody that you think can help you with this. It's such a pain to live with (mentally and physically) and anything we can find to better it is worth the time spent. Hopefully someone else will have some better ides for you. Sorry I'm not more help.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#269211 - 06/13/06 04:09 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How long have you been trying Heather's diet?

If you're gaining weight you might have insulin resistance which means you need to find low glycemic foods including soluble fibres.

Have you been regularly exercising, and have you tried Heather's Tummy Teas? Other store brands don't have the high volatile oil content her's has so you won't the the best benefits out of the fennel and/or peppermint.

#269287 - 06/13/06 10:05 PM
biz

hi thanks! What foods would help ne if I have insulin resistance? I've followed heather's diet but unfortunately am supposed to avoid mint tea as I also have something called Barrett's Esophagus - so I have to avoid peppermint and chocolate and caffeine (the last 2 are probably good things to avoid anyway!). I exercise 4-5 times a week - run, aerobics, weight lifting - I've always been athletic so this is extremely maddening. I'm suspecting maybe some adrenal deficiency but don't know how to diagnost it - my TSH levels came back 'normal' but that is according to a GI guy I saw - I may make an apt. with an endicronologist...just wonder how much hormones would give me all this very painful gas, diarrheam, bloating, and weight gain though! Thank you for any any insights!!!!

#269402 - 06/14/06 12:01 PM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Your IBS acting up near your period is pretty common, myself included. As for the weight gain, have you been to a endo? If your TSH comes back in the normal range then have them test your antibodies. My TSH was in the normal range yet I was putting weight on and so tired all the time. My antibodies were sky high and I learned I have Hashimoto's Disease. Your immune system attacks your throid gland. Sounds like me, you have more than one thing going on. Good Luck!

#269467 - 06/14/06 04:23 PM
Gracie

Some low glycemic SF foods are brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat noodles, corn meal, quinoa, and barley. A nutritionist would have a more complete list, or you may be able to get more ideas from googling "low glycemic foods" or something like that.

#269541 - 06/15/06 12:03 AM
biz

this is a keeper - thank you!! I was under the impression that oats & brown rice were Insoluable fiber!

#269542 - 06/15/06 12:04 AM
biz

excellent! I think I was tested for Hashimoto's but a LONG time ago...if I just say 'antibodies' that's enough for the doc to know what to test huh? Thanks a ton!!!

#269553 - 06/15/06 05:05 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Hi, Biz, welcome to the site. Have you looked at the info on the site regarding yoga for IBS? You say you exercise a lot, so I thought I'd suggest that to change up your routine a bit and give you something else to try. Mostly, all I can do here is read posts and reply. I have absolutely very little resources to help myself - in other words money mostly. And IBS is not cheap, just like any diet isn't cheap. But this site is an amazing place to have around. Don't forget to sign up for Heather's Newsletter! Good luck, I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#269555 - 06/15/06 05:11 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:

Some low glycemic SF foods are brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat noodles, corn meal, quinoa, and barley. A nutritionist would have a more complete list, or you may be able to get more ideas from googling "low glycemic foods" or something like that.

REALLY!? No way! I had no idea, I thought brown rice was a IF. Now I know I can try more recipes if I can afford quinoa, brown rice, and the rest of the foods you mentioned in your post. Thank you for clearing that up. I already eat oatmeal now and then. I'm more of a white rice fan, but now I know I can try brown rice if I decide to. I'm very glad you pointed this out. I don't need to worry about low-glycemic foods, but otherwise this post was very helpful.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#269558 - 06/15/06 05:32 AM
LisaRae

Yes, asking to check your antibodies should do or just directly ask for the test.Your family doctor can do this test. I have had this disease for about ten years now and it was the nurse who suggested getting my antibodies checked. I had a huge goiter,lost hair and had put ten pounds on and yet my TSH came back normal. Also ask for a copy of the lab. The normal range is pretty wide and you may be near the end. I like to keep myself pretty low. I know what makes me feel normal. Do you have any other signs besides the weight gain? If you do have it than with meds you will be fine and will give you more time to deal with your IBS! If case you think it is related to IBS, it is not. I have had IBS now for about 18 months now and have a great gastro. I just do not want you to get your hopes up and think your IBS will be cured if you get your throid under control because it won't. Heather's diet, med and Align is what keeps me stable. Lisa

#269703 - 06/15/06 04:41 PM
Gracie

How long have you used Align? Are you IBS D, C, or A?

#269704 - 06/15/06 04:46 PM
Gracie

Brown rice is not completely SF, there is IF in it, but myself and others can tolerate it.

#269771 - 06/16/06 12:06 AM
biz

thanks gracie! I used to do bikram yoga but I got burnt out on it - I don't think I have the patience for yoga (I've tried it!). I definitely go through phases where I get C but am now very D....and I've varied my diet soooo many times over the past 9 yrs that I am really hopin gth emind-body stuff will help me!! Thanks !!

#269772 - 06/16/06 12:08 AM
biz

thanks LIsaRae - besides weight gain the other indicator is sluggishness...this is helpful. Definitely am trying to make an appointment with a more sympathetic MD (the GI guy dismissed thyroid purely based on the test - very old school!)

Align new
      #269783 - 06/16/06 05:46 AM
LisaRae

I have used it for seven month now. I highly recommend it to anyone. I am a D. I used to be my gastros worst case and the Align is what finally got me stable. Did you read the study on it? I have had one flare up since starting it and it lasted like two hours. In the old days I would have a attack not a flare up and the attack would last almost a week. My Dad was in ICU is when I had the flare up. Really stressed but only one flare up. Lisa

Re: Align new
      #269874 - 06/16/06 04:36 PM
Gracie

I'm glad you're feeling a lot better.
I don't think I've read the study on it. A few months ago I stumbled upon the Align website, but I'm not sure if it was available where I live at that time. It seems to be really good from what the website says but if you're promoting your own product you're gonna only say great things about it.
I think I'll ask my doctor about Align. I'm an A so I think it will work.

#269876 - 06/16/06 04:39 PM
Gracie

If you're interested in the mind-body connection, you might want to try the hypnotherapy. Many people have had luck with it in controling their IBS.

#269915 - 06/16/06 11:22 PM
biz

hi there - am intrigued - is it this?: http://www.aligngi.com/index.shtml
I'd never heard of it and if it is, I am wondering why this is different than taking probiotics e.g. a multi-dophilis thing (I do now)?? Thanks for any additional insight!

#269917 - 06/16/06 11:23 PM
biz

YES - I actually just received the audio program in today's mail and despite traditionally being quite cynical about those approaches, am now realllly hopeful about it!! Thank you!

#269931 - 06/17/06 08:04 AM
Gracie

Yes it is a probiotic.

#269932 - 06/17/06 08:05 AM
Gracie

I'm sure you'll like it and benefit from it.

#270092 - 06/19/06 12:21 PM
LisaRae

Same website but if you can, read the independent study on it. Not all probiotics are the same. I talked to my gastro before I went on it. I never add something new without him knowing. I can just say for me it has been a life saver. Lisa

#298965 - 02/05/07 10:24 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I would LOVE to take Align over VSL due to the cost.
My GI has recommended it, but my nutrionist objects.
I am in a bind.
Why?

Here are the Other ingredients: microcystalline cellulose, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose capsule USP grade, magnesium stearate, sugar, sodium caseinate, sodium citrate dihydrate, propyl gallate, FD&C blue #2.

Align contains sodium caseinate, which is why it says it contains milk ingredients.
I am very sensitive to milk products, therefore I wanted to know if for IBSers this safe or not.
I know must of us steer clear of ANY milk ingredient, do we make an exemption here, and if so, why would this be any safer than say bread crumbs with whey as the 3rd to last inredient, is it because this is only an other ingredient, a filler?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#299088 - 02/06/07 09:50 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

After reading the latest newsletter about bifidus infantis, I'm ready to try Align....even with the sodium caseinate.(Unless someone knows of another probiotic that contains this)? It's hard to argue with the study results.

Let me know if you try it. My doctor also recommended it a while ago...but the casein scared me off. After reading testimonials and scientific studies, I think it's worth a chance.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5703

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review