All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What to do when diet isn't enough??(venting)
      #267850 - 06/06/06 08:32 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so if it is wrong please let me know and I will make sure not to make the same mistake twice.

I understand this diet, and for the most part it helps alot. Everyone knows mostly which foods cause issues and what to stay away from but what do you do when the diet isn't enough?

I'm not saying that the diet doesn't work because for the most part it does but right now, my life is so stressful and chaotic that simply eatting correctly and drinking lots of peppermint tea isn't working. I'm completly unstable and I can't seem to break it right now. Just thinking about the things that are making me stressed is enough to cause an attack. So how do you fight the stress aspect of ibs??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Diet ISN'T enough new
      #267852 - 06/06/06 08:48 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

For most people, diet alone ISN'T enough - that's why Heather recommends yoga and the hypnotherapy tapes, both of which are an excellent way to reduce and manage stress. What *else* you can do to manage it depends on how severe the problem is; some people find that exercise, meditation, and things like that are enough to "unwind", whereas others - like me - end up needing medication, and there's no shame in that.

No matter how you decide to tackle it, stress and anxiety are HUGE triggers for IBS and MUST be managed by whatever means necessary. Then sticking with the diet will complete the puzzle - anti-anxiety meds have been a lifesaver for me, but stability wouldn't have happened without the diet. The two go hand-in-hand.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Re: Diet ISN'T enough new
      #267855 - 06/06/06 08:51 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sorry your having a hard time Dajara... GREAT post Casey....well said!! Keep us posted Dajara....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Diet ISN'T enough new
      #267857 - 06/06/06 08:53 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Does anyone here get massages? Both times that I have felt really crappy this year so far, I've gone and gotten massages. If nothing else, DURING the massage I really feel good and everything seems to mostly "go away". I think it helps me on the stress outside too. Stress is a way huge really big probably more than food trigger. Both huge flareups I've had were proceeded by a very (for me) stressful event. Yoga also seems to make a big difference too.

Re: more venting new
      #267866 - 06/06/06 09:30 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I have done the hypnotherapy and it was great for a few months and now alot of things that used to really stress me out don't but things are in quite the turmoil right now. I also plan on getting the hypno-tapes once I can afford them but right now, I just don't have the means fincially or time wise to really be able to start yoga or anything like that..

I admit it, i'm one of those people who needs just a bit of control and right now I have none. To most normal people the things that are stressing me out are more than likely insignificant but when you have enough little things all at one time. It starts to be a little overwhelming.

My boss who has always been very understandable about my ibs is now gone and they are currently looking for a new manager. It scares the hell out of me that the new person might not be so understanding. In the process of everyone quitting my job description is going to be completly changed but I don't know how, or when this is going to happen. Right now, i have the perfect job, i make phone calls all day and i work on my own time. If I have an attack while at work, no one minds because no one even notices if i'm not at my desk for a few minutes but soon all that is going to change, and the idea of not being able to leave my post if an attack does arise again scares the hell out me.

Plus the issue that tops the cake right now is, my fiance's brother. He has moved into the house where we are living. (we take care of his dad's house while he(father in law) is on the road being a long distance truck driver)This brother, is nothing but a 35 year old sponge. He is an alcoholic and thus is drunk every single night, he bangs pots and pans around in the middle of the night when i'm trying to sleep (I work from 7:30am-5pm every day) and he leaves the stove burners on so i have woken up to smoke being everywhere and the smoke detector blaring because he passed out and *forgot* to take the pot off the burner. He has even gone as far as yelling at my fiance and I, and blaming us for everything that is wrong in his life.

Perhaps happy pills might be in order but don't they cause issues with intamacy or more stomach problems??

Re: more venting new
      #267874 - 06/06/06 10:18 AM
asianrei

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: Flordia

I feel your pain. The CD will work and I also suggest what it is called stress eraser which is a biofeedback device that will help you to lower your heart beat and thus remain calm. It is better the popping Xanax as I used to do. I am taking Zolof 50mg a day so I do get the Panic feeling all the times like something bad is going to happene to me.

It is always good to find someone to talk to in person. This board is good but I find talking to a person who is also like you will help.

--------------------
Had my IBS since 2001 after 9/11

Hypno new
      #267894 - 06/06/06 11:54 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You can use any kind of hypno to relax, it just won't be gut-directed. If you can find a store that sells single CDs for self hypnosis for sleep or relaxation that should still help the stress.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Hypno new
      #267900 - 06/06/06 12:17 PM
Shell Marr

There are lots of CD's here at amazon.com for relaxation. I have one for relaxation and sleep that I got at Bed Bath & Beyond but I can't find it on the wedsite to show ya.

Quote:

You can use any kind of hypno to relax, it just won't be gut-directed. If you can find a store that sells single CDs for self hypnosis for sleep or relaxation that should still help the stress.

--------------------

Definately recommend the hypno... new
      #267909 - 06/06/06 12:26 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

it changed my life...if theres anything specifically you wana know about it you can email me....Ive done actual sessions and the cd program with Mike Mahoney....hes amazing...and being the stress head worrier and having a stressful none stop uni life like I do...it had been a godsend...and I would definately recommend you give it a go.

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Definately recommend the hypno... new
      #267915 - 06/06/06 12:38 PM
Shell Marr

I've done Mike Mahoney's The IBS Audio Program 100™ ~ For Irritable Bowel Syndrome Self-Hypnosis also..... and I will be starting again on the 20th or so... (that will be 10 weeks). I REALLY noticed a difference... I did not realize HOW different until the sessions were over. I use the others I mentioned from Amazon during that 10 week period.

Quote:

it changed my life...if theres anything specifically you wana know about it you can email me....Ive done actual sessions and the cd program with Mike Mahoney....hes amazing...and being the stress head worrier and having a stressful none stop uni life like I do...it had been a godsend...and I would definately recommend you give it a go.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2024 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review