All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Healing IBS with phobia of vomitting - HOW??!?
      #267459 - 06/03/06 06:05 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

** I also posted this in the Living Room - wasn't sure where it fit. Sorry if you read the repeat! **

So - as I've mentioned before, I have a severe fear of throwing up...getting the stomach flu, food poisoning, parasites, yada yada.

Part of my "coping mechanism" for the Emet (phobia) is to simply NOT EAT whenever I feel the slightest bit "off"...even if I know it could be a number of other things NOT a virus, FP, etc. This eating disorder ('cause it is - I'm starving myself) is heading toward crisis stage if I'm not careful.

My quandry - and something that even my therapist admits is really difficult - my IBS causes nausea. IBS is stabilized primarily through food choices (among other things, but food is key). My phobia makes is HORRIBLE to try and eat when I'm not feeling 100%. Lack of food in the system makes IBS continue, if not get worse. ARRRGH!!!!

HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY TREATED or WORKED THROUGH both of these issues? I really want to heal & start eating again...but how can I do this if one is blocking the other?

I'm stumped...experiences? pointers?

~ E.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Edited by Memmles (06/03/06 07:12 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Healing IBS with phobia of vomitting - HOW??!? new
      #267470 - 06/03/06 08:25 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I am exactly the same as you, only i do eat, i just eat very safely, i am seeing a hypnotherapist to work through my fear and it seems to be strating to help, i would suggest that, you can email me privately if you want to talk more about it, as it is very difficult to have ibs with nausea and the emetophobia, as one just feeds the other.
Bonnie

Re: Healing IBS with phobia of vomitting - HOW??!? new
      #267500 - 06/04/06 07:46 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I am right there with you with the emetophobia... luckily, I don't have nausea with my IBS, so I don't have a problem eating in general, but I do have a very hard time eating anything outside my normal, every day foods. The only suggestion I could give you is to force yourself to eat (unless of course you're really feeling awful) in small amounts at first. The more times you eat when you're afraid to and don't throw up, the more relaxed you will become.

--------------------
Kim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review