All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about soy cheeses, and meat substitutes.
      #267421 - 06/03/06 01:02 PM
aross

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Alabama

I am a new IBS "dieter", even though I have had IBS for 14+ years. I have for the first time in my life tried soymilk and find it is not as bad as I thought it was...even my 13 and 14 year old sons love the chocolate. What I was wondering was...are there certain brands of substitute cheeses and meat substitutes that are better than others? I live in a town that food like this is very limited. In fact the grocery store near me doesn't even have the soy cheeses...but they do have the Baco products. I am currently eating just the soluble fibers to regulate my digestive system then will incorporate some insoluble fiber as Heather directed in her book...Eating for IBS..."love it". Thanks for any advice.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about soy cheeses, and meat substitutes. new
      #267431 - 06/03/06 01:58 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

By better, do you mean safer for IBS or, are you looking for what tastes best?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#267437 - 06/03/06 02:23 PM
aross

My apologies...I mean better tasting. I know that some people who drink soymilk say some brands taste better than others. I have just bought my first bottles of soymilk and bought 8th Continent Light...it seems to taste very good, but I have not tried other brands and have nothing to really compare it to. I have 3 teenagers who have accepted that I have to eat differently than they do and are willing to "try" the new things, but I don't want to buy something that had I chose another brand would give them a total turn-off to trying it. (If that makes sense.) My husband and I are having a tough time finding substitutes like cheeses and meat.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

#267455 - 06/03/06 05:23 PM
hohoyumyum

Okey-dokey, this is what I've found for substitutes that taste the best to me. Cheeses and meats are in here as well as a whole lot of other stuff.

"Dairy" products:
Blue Diamond Almond Milk (Chocolate milk can be heated on the stove and makes an excellent hot chocolate)
8th Continent Soy Milk
Silk Soy Milk
Tofutti (Check out http://tofutti.com/) Tofutti has a ton of products (alternatives for almost everything dairy) and reps from Tofutti have told me that stores on the east coast (USA) carry many more selections than on the west coast. Many small health food stores will special order products if you ask them. Just take a UPC or know the exact brand and item name.

Cheese:
Veggie slices and shreds
Soy-Sation cheese blocks and slices (actually melts like cheese)

Yogurt & Sour Cream:
Tofutti Supreme Sour Cream

Sauces, Soups and Ready Meals:
Del Monte spaghetti sauce (no HFCS)
Imagine Soups (tomato, mushroom, butternut squash)
Amy's no-cheese pizza (I put soy cheese on it)

Meat/Meat Subs/Fish/Tofu:
The entire Yves line for meat alts (the pepperoni is so tasty)
Gardenburger soy burgers
Boca soy burgers, sausage, ground round
Seafood: Catfish, White Ruffy, Shrimp, Tilapia, Salmon (baked, steamed, broiled, grilled)
Turkey slices (low-fat, white meat from the deli, the pre-packaged stuff is gross to me)

Drinks:
Trader Joe's Mango Nectar
Country Time Lemonade mix
Tropicana no-pulp, low-acid orange juice.

Teas:
Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice (no caffeine, has a very strong cinnamon flavor)

Frozen Yogurt/Ice Cream/Sorbet:
Tofutti Cuties and Ice Cream
Soy Dream (Vanilla and Mango Vanilla especially)

Bars, Candy, Cookies and Chips:
Trader Joe's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tostitos
Trader Joe's dried fruit (banana chips and unsulfered sweetened mango slices)
Snyder's of Hanover Pretzels (sticks and snaps and garlic nibblers are great) (some of their flavors have lactose in them)

Breakfast Cereal:
Kellogg's Corn Pops
Cheerios
Cream of Wheat (good with some banana slices)

Restaurant dishes:
Subway Sandwiches

Miscellaneous:
Trader Joe's Organic-free range-veggie fed-chicken Eggs (I can tolerate yolks)
Trader Joe's Bird Nests (in the frozen section)
Trader Joe's Stir-fried vegetable Egg Rolls (in the frozen section)
Green Giant tender asparagus spears (canned)
Any brand Canola oil cooking spray (as long as it is only canola oil and a propellant in the can)

Bread/Pasta/Noodles/Rice:
Trader Joe's Bagels (plain and onion-yum!)
Mission Tortillas (I usually use tortillas in place of bread, buns, rolls, etc for almost everything that would need one of those.
Golden Grain Mission pastas (that's what is in my cupboard right now but I've never had trouble with any pasta)
Rice a Roni (chicken, mushroom, chicken with broccoli, use a small amount of canola oil in place of butter)

--------------------

#267477 - 06/03/06 10:18 PM
aross

Thank you very much...this is soooo helpful to me and my family.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

No problem. I have the list saved on my computer for just these types of ?'s. *nt new
      #267603 - 06/04/06 08:16 PM
hohoyumyum

--------------------

#268692 - 06/10/06 04:51 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

I've had ibs, well that I know of since Oct 05...But, I've only been on this diet for about 3-4 weeks. Anyway...I do like the Silk soy products. I've also tried soy cheese, cream cheese and rice butter. I think the soy cheese is ok and I TOTALLY love the cream cheese. I haven't opened the butter yet. Also, I've tried Boca hamburgers and Boca brats. Let me tell you...NOT a fan. I have a friend who loves them. I'll just stick to chicken and fish! LOL I go to Whole Foods. There are a couple here in Mpls. I know they have a websit. You might be able to buy off of there.

#268698 - 06/10/06 05:59 PM
Kayaker

Reged: 03/14/06
Loc: Midwest

For meat substitutes, I like Morningstar Farms. My favorite is the Morningstar Farms Original Harvestburgers. I can't find them in my store anymore so I have been eating the Original Grillers and do like them. I also like their breakfast strips or they may be called bacon strips. They also have breakfast links or sausage links. While they are ok made in the microwave, they are best fried in a little butter. Not the healthiest way to cook them but they sure taste good. I recently tried Morningstar Farms corn dogs. It was a nice blast from the past. I have been known to eat their soy dogs as well. I have tried Boca burgers but like Morningstar Farms better.

I haven't tried the cheeses and other substitute, so I can't comment there.

Kayaker

#268703 - 06/10/06 06:34 PM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

I really like the "Fakin' Bacon" which are smoky-flavored tempeh strips. Honestly though I have never been too impressed by soy cheeses. I would rather just do without! I am from Wisconsin though...

I like the Boca products for meat substitutes, especially the Italian sausages.

Re: Tofutti!!! new
      #268709 - 06/10/06 07:11 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I live on the east coast and only 8..thats right 8 minutes away from a store that sells TONS of tofutti products. I love their cheese. Tofutti makes cheese that I put on turkey sandwiches and melt over chicken breast. Their cheese tastes like real cheese. in fact, my brother accidently ate a piece yesterday,( he thought it was real cheese) and didnt even know it was tofu cheese MMMMMMM

Dear Tofutti, I love you so. LOL. *nt new
      #268722 - 06/10/06 08:01 PM
hohoyumyum

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review