All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What about this gas???
      #267359 - 06/02/06 09:32 PM
val

Reged: 02/08/05

I know from experience that IBS can cause a lot of problems with gas. I frequently experience bloating and cramps from gas, but now and then like right now, I have this horrific smelling gas. I mean, really super bad...it smells like sulfur mostly but also other putrid, sour smells and it is super strong. This is sort of freaking me out because it has been going on for several days and I can't think of anything out of the ordinary I have been eating everyday for the past week. Does anyone know if this indicates a bacterial infection or something more serious that needs immediate attention?? I am not having any pain, so I don't know if I really need to go to the doctor right now...I'm the type of IBS with the chronic constipation, but a large bowel movement in the last day or so hasn't stopped this constant smelly gas. Besides alarming, it is embarrassing too. It is hard to control and clears a room faster than anything. The smell is literally nauseating and I don't know what to do!! Any advice? Should I see my gastroenterologist right away or will it pass? Is there anything I can eat or not eat that will help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What about this gas??? new
      #267401 - 06/03/06 10:11 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

It couldn't hurt to see your GI if you are concerned. The screenname val doesn't give away gender so I don't know if this will apply to you, but, I've noticed that my gas doesn't usually smell except for the time around my period. Then I experience exactly what you're describing. It even puts my husband to shame and he is a champion farter. LOL. Have you tried fennel tea? That helps a lot of people with gas.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#267434 - 06/03/06 02:04 PM
maia

Reged: 10/15/05
Loc: Kaua'i, Hawai'i

I have found very good results for my extreme TRAPPED GAS problem with these chinese herbs:

http://www.sukondee.com/irritable-bowel-syndrome-sukondee.htm

This is not to prevent gas, but to release TRAPPED gas. But even better, I have lately been taking a perscribed drug I heard about on another IBS forum site: hyoscyamine. This REALLY works!

--------------------
Maia Nartoomid
IBS-C, spastic gas
Kaua'i, Hawai'i

#267436 - 06/03/06 02:13 PM
hohoyumyum

I've tried hyoscyamine a couple of times. As you know, it works great for some people. I was one of those that it did nothing for. Oh well, what can you do? I'm glad to hear that you've had good results from it.

--------------------

#267501 - 06/04/06 07:48 AM
hopeful

Reged: 05/19/06

How often do you have to take hyoscyamine? Should it be taken before each meal or can it be taken once a day? I would like to give it a try, but i don't want to get to the point where i have to pull Beano, peppermint caps and hyoscyamine out of my purse while having lunch with my co-workers every day.

#267504 - 06/04/06 08:21 AM
ccckkk

Reged: 11/06/03

What exactly is hyoscamine? I have very bad gas all the time, but it does not smell. It is just that if I don't let it out, it only causes more gas. Is it a prescription? I have IBS-C. Would it make constipation worse?

#267604 - 06/04/06 08:19 PM
hohoyumyum

It is a prescription. I think that it acts as a relaxant to calm contractions and such. So I don't think that it would be good for C. But I'm not sure. You should talk to your doc about it.

--------------------

#268404 - 06/08/06 08:33 PM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

I went to my GI doctor today and he prescribed hyoscyamine for me because I have terrible gurgling/gassy feelings right after eating. I am IBS-C. He said I can take it as needed. It worked this afternoon but that was the first time I have taken it. Will keep you posted!

#268417 - 06/08/06 09:33 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Oh, thank god I'm not the only one!! I didn't even link it to my period. I'm not easily embarrassed, but I've been really gassy lately too, like ever min or so, and it's very unpleasant. Luckily, it's happened mostly around my bf, who farts a lot too. We can both laugh about it, but when I'm in public, the smell just wafts and all I want to do is run and hide. I'm near the part of my cycle where PMS symptoms and my period starts, so maybe you're right?

I'm glad I read this, I really have to call up my PCP and double-check on my referral so that I can call up the list of GIs to request a colonoscopy.

Hope it gets better for you.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#268418 - 06/08/06 09:35 PM
Sommer

Nice, sounds like something I could use! I'll have to bookmark it for later when I can afford to try it. I'm glad it works for you.

--------------------

#268419 - 06/08/06 09:37 PM
Sommer

Hi there, I've never heard of this drug that a few of you have mentioned but that I can't even spell or pronounce, lol! I'll definitely have to ask my doc about it.

--------------------

#268478 - 06/09/06 08:31 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

It is the generic name for Levsin, and NU-Lev. I take it as a PRN (only when needed). It is an anti-spazmotic. Nu-Lev worked for me, but the generic (which is all that the new medicare insurance pays) doesn't seem to work as well.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Tell me more about this product! new
      #268572 - 06/09/06 07:11 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I looked at the website, and I'm tempted to order these herbs. Anyone know anything more about them? Heather? How does this product work to release gas? I am in a new job, which I am really struggling with, as it very sedentary - I sit at a computer all day until 8 pm. The gas that gurgles up in me after lunch is driving me insane. In the past I've dealt with this by eating very little all day until dinner, but now I work til so late in the evening, I can't go that long without food!!
Does it work right away? Do you drink it right after your meal? Tell me everything!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#268576 - 06/09/06 07:37 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

This sounds like exactly what I need for my extreme bloating and gas! Do these products work for you? They seem to be worth a shot!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3441 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3716

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review