All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Since we are getting personal. I have a sex question. new
      #267286 - 06/02/06 02:56 PM
aross

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Alabama

At the time I started dating him (he is now my husband)it was like we could talk about anything. I am the type of person who doesn't mind educating people about things they may not know much about. Of course he noticed that I would get sick after eating things (I am just now starting Heather's IBS diet advice) and would ask questions...so I answered them the best that I could. We now have an understanding that I cannot and will not pass gas in front of him unless it "slips". He knows that when I say I am not feeling well, I will need to be alone for a moment, he understands what I mean and gives me my privacy. I either go to another part of the house, the second bathroom, or I just take a walk around the yard. I am very blessed to have such an understanding husband who respects my needs.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

Edited by aross (06/02/06 03:03 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good advice from everyone. new
      #267318 - 06/02/06 04:36 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Hypno can still be effective even if you are sleeping. I always fall asleep at night listeneing to it and it actually works better for me that way. It helps me to get a good night's sleep which helps IBS and subconciously you are still listening to the CD, which is where the suggestions take hold anyway. So, I'd say give it another try from the beginning and if you fall asleep, don't worry about it. Just keep going with the program and see how it goes. It can help with the gas and with the embarrassment issues.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Good advice from everyone. new
      #267321 - 06/02/06 04:41 PM
ccckkk

Reged: 11/06/03

Okay, you have convinced me to try again. I am definitely going to start listening to it again, and thank you for your posts and your help.

Something to try? new
      #267329 - 06/02/06 06:24 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi, I love everyone's responses to this post - it is so true, love truly is blind to gas and bloat and all that jazz. In fact my last boyfriend found my bloated tummy strangely sexy (even if it doesn't feel that sexy!)
BUT... and I hope no one's going to bite my head off here... if you are passing lots of smelly gas at night, to the point that it might really bother the person sharing your bed, perhaps you might try those smell-absorbent pads that someone has mentioned on these boards before. You wear them in your undies and they contain charcoal, I think, which absorbs the smell. Maybe someone here could refresh my memory as to what they were called or the website to buy them from?
Anyway, just a thought. I certainly know where you are coming from. But I have been surprised at how supportive my past boyfriends have been of my situation.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: Something to try? new
      #267374 - 06/03/06 06:15 AM
ccckkk

Hi,
To tell you the truth, my gas does not really smell at all. It is more the noise that I always worry about. If I let it out, there is definitely always a noise. If I hold it in, I am in so much pain and it seems I have more and more gas.
During the night is the worst, all night. I can't sleep and it gives me back pain too. That is when I keep going over in my head, that I would never be able to have someone sleep in the same room as me. I just can't even imagine it. I am I crazy for thinking this, since my gas does not smell.

#267502 - 06/04/06 08:12 AM
ccckkk

Hi,thanks for the post.
So, you did not tell your husband about your IBS until after you were married? Was that difficult to keep from him?

#267503 - 06/04/06 08:14 AM
ccckkk

OH, sorry about that. I reread your post. Now I realize you told him about your IBS a month after you met him.
I understand now.

#275616 - 07/25/06 12:22 PM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

I hope no one thinks I'm being arrogant when I say this, but I really don't get the embarassment. I feel bad that there are so many people out there who are feeling embarassed by a bodily function. I know it can be loud, smelly, and distracting, but we all have flaws. I find that friends and lovers not only accept me for being honest and up front about stuff like IBS, but they actually admire me for having the courage to talk about things like this without being self-concious. To be honest, I don't see it as a flaw; it is just part of who I am. Even if I didn't like who I am, I would have to say that there are probably enough good qualities to me that would override a few farts.

And as for sex, I have never had a man laugh or even crack a smile when I farted during sex. Afterwards we may joke or laugh about it, but during the act our minds are elsewhere! As long as you both are enjoying yourselves, forget about those extra noises. The less you make of it, the less he'll think of it.

Society makes up the rules of what is polite and what isn't. You can choose to adhere to those rules or create your own.

~ Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Ditto - whenever I got into a new relationship or met a new guy... new
      #277030 - 08/03/06 06:08 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

...I say straight out, "Look, this is me, this is the way I am, if you can't handle that, please let me know now." Except mixed into all that were more details. There's no need to be ashamed or embarrased abouta perfectly normal bodily function. So yours functions differently, we understand. And personally, trapped gas is painful and I won't waste time with a man who can't appreciate me at my worst as well as at my best. My BF and I tease one another a lot, in a loving \way. And you don't have to draw attention to it or that you did it, either. If it's obvious that you did, just be polite about it, but don't make a fuss. There's no need to waste so much energy worrying about it. Sure, it's totally not fun, especially in public, and it's okay that you're embarrassed, it's natural to feel that way for a lot of ppl. I tell ppl all the time, "I may be a lady, but I don't always act like one." In other words, I burp, fart, talk about poop, lounge around in PJs, rarely do my hair or makeup...etc." I hope you realize that you don't have to be alone or feel that you should stay away from intimacy with anyone whether it be friends, family, or a partner. IBS is hard, I know, it's hard to deal with personally and amongst others, and not everyone will understand. But no one's perfect. I mean if they can't accept you for who you are and everything you are, then that doesn't say much about how them. That's just my opinion. But good luck and I hope you are able to feel more comfortable. (In a clothing store, flipping through clothes, I felt gassy, but not like I had to poop, and I wasn't overly uncomfortable, and it figured that as soon as someone walked down the aisle I was in, I would fart, and five seconds later, which was by the time they got in my vicinity, it stank horribly. I just kept nonchalantly flipping through clothes. WHy bother trying to explain yourself to every stranger who happened to pass my gas cloud?) So, I totally empathize with you, it's tough braving the world with this. You'll make it.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9360

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review