All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Products
      #26605 - 11/11/03 04:54 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I have been diagnosed with IBS since January and have been very reluctant to try soy products. I'm just wondering if soy is something that some IBS sufferers can tolerate and others can't, or is it that most generally do ok???
I can't tell you how many times I have bought soy milk and it has just rotted in my fridge b/c I am too scared to try it. I'm so scared to try new things.

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Products new
      #26606 - 11/11/03 05:04 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A lot of IBS-ers seem to tolerate soy fine - I certainly do. I've used the milk and other products for years now and I'd never go back. Give it a go. I don't think that it should have too bad an effect even if your body doesn't like it.

Be warned tho, it can take some getting used to. Make sure that you DON'T get the unsweetened types of milk - yucky! Maybe try a flavoured milk?

Or, if you're still worried about the soya, try rice milk.

Hope this helps. You do need to try stuff out so that you can work out what's best for you. Good luck!

Linz

#26630 - 11/11/03 09:20 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

Please don't be afraid to try soy milk. I started using it about 8 years ago, and cannot stand the taste of cow's milk now . I also used the yogurt (it's a little bit gritty, but taste good in shakes), and I've used the cheese. It's not bad on homemade pizza. But I've found that rice cheese is even tastier.

Go for it! I used plain soy, but I've also bought the vanilla. I go for the lite one as well, since it's lower in fat and calories.

#26651 - 11/12/03 08:10 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I prefer the rice milk and cheese, just personal taste. I use other soy products and love them. soy meatballs are wonderful, Fantasik makes a soy taco "meat" thats really yummy too! Give it a try!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#26667 - 11/12/03 09:10 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I was the same way at first about 3 months ago. I suck it up and said well thing only thing I have to lose is going to the bathroom, I had D real bad. If your stable now intorduce the soy or rice prodcts into your diet slowly. I love the chocolate Soy dream drink. Vanilla is good and so is original. Start out with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day and see how you do. I recently tied tofutti cream cheese and the sour cream you can't tell much difference from the original stuff. Here's a website check it out and maybe try some products www.soyproducts.com or www.soydream.com.
Good luck and best wishes for eating health.
Sherri

#26689 - 11/12/03 10:06 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Just try a little and see how you do. Do try it slowly, and you may want to try it with some Beano to help you digest it. Maybe try a small glass with a meal. Once you build up a tolerance though, you should be fine.

There are exceptions of those that can not handle soy at all, but most IBSers are okay with it.

#26724 - 11/12/03 11:32 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

good morning; i HEAR what youn are saying. OI am reluctant to try new things as well. I seem okay with soy milk and tofu, but those soy meats and things, forget ot. They really do a number on my stomach.

#26836 - 11/12/03 07:05 PM
NatHosp

Thank you so much for responding. I am stable now. It took a long time to get to this point and I think that's why I'm so scared, but I think a little at a time is the way to go.

--------------------
Natalie

#26837 - 11/12/03 07:05 PM
NatHosp

Thank you!!

--------------------
Natalie

#26844 - 11/12/03 08:24 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I have soy things all the time and I'm fine with it I recommend getting Silk soy milk.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1046 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 976

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review