All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone here without a gallbladder and IBS?
      #265906 - 05/27/06 11:48 AM
italocub37

Reged: 05/21/05

Hello everybody, this is my first posting on this board and I must say that Heather and this site has helped me tremendously with my IBS-D. Thanks to you all.

I was diagnosed with IBS-D, March of 2005. I have gone through several test including a colonoscopy, the test where you drink the berium and they went down my throat to view my stomach. They did not find anything wrong (thank God) so they diagnosed me with IBS. I went to see 2 different GI doctors at Northwestern Hospital here in Chicago and neither of them talked about diet. Thats why Heather's books and this site have been a god send to me.
The past year and 1/2 have been difficult for me. I struggle to stay stable at times but can go 2-3 months with only a few bad days. Unfortunatley, today is one of those bad days and its wearing me down.
Okay so here is my question; I had my gallbladder removed at the beginning of March 06. They did it laposcopically and I was out of the hospital in one day. Though I did go through a lot of pain I was out and about in a week. I"ve been doing pretty good without my gallbladder but because today my IBS seems out of control I was wondering if anybody else had their gallbladder removed and if they had any problems with their stomach/colon? I know the bile from my liver is now being dumped straight into my stomach which can cause problems for some people but 3 months later?

As of 3 months ago (before my surgery) I stopped taking any bulking agents. I was doing citricel at night before bed which seemed to help. I plan on running out (literally) to get some more citricel and hopefully that will help.
I am back to eating rice, chicken and only SF foods as of yesterday in hopes I can get stable.

To make my situation worse I have an anal fissure which is very painful. I need to have surgery to get it fixed but after taking so much time off of work a few months ago I need to wait a few more weeks before I can take another week. Oh fun, more surgery.

Anyway, if anybody can help I would truelly appreciate it. I really respect and value your opinions.

Frank

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone here without a gallbladder and IBS? new
      #267767 - 06/05/06 05:49 PM
bubbagirl

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Melbourne Fla.

Hi, I'm new to this board also. Yes, I've had my gallbladder removed as well as my older brother and my son. We ALL have IBS. My brother also has diverticulitis. We believe there IS a connection with gallbladder removal AND genetics. I am the only one of the 3 that has had a hemmroidectomy, and a fissure. I just was diagnosed properly for IBS and starting on Heather's diet.

#267812 - 06/06/06 03:09 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Yes, I had my gallbladder out 10 years ago. I think there's several people here that have had GB surgery. While I'm sure I've had IBS for the majority of my life, most of my symptoms started worsening after my first child (10 yrs. ago - 4 weeks later out came the gallbladder). And then in the last year things got much, much worse. So I'd say yeah....it can get worse even 3 mo. later.

Welcome to the boards!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#267876 - 06/06/06 10:34 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there! I had my gallbladder out last October (I'm only 22). I am usually C, but after the gallbladder surgery, I guess I really alterate between C and D. Shortly after surgery, I remember going to walk around a mall...and I bought a pretzel...without thinking of the butter on it. I had horrible pains and D all day. From that day on, I have completely remained low fat. My diet is pretty easy to keep low fat, but that helps me a lot. Getting D ager this surgery is very common because of the bile going straight into the digestive system. There is a drug called questrin (sp?) and people have had luck with that. But yes...galbladder surgery and IBS just seem to make things a bit worse! I had IBS before and I know I still have it, but while my gallbladder attacks were happening, I was simply miserable! I hope you can get some relief... Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Read this link - some of you may not have IBS at all and can be "cured" new
      #267893 - 06/06/06 11:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#267919 - 06/06/06 12:51 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I had my gallbladder out in January of this year and it has helped alot. My IBS doesn't bother me a bit. Even after the surgery I felt better. I hope you get better soon. I know everyone reacts different after surgery. Mine was a success and I can eat pretty much anything now. I just have this feeling that all along my problem was more my gallbladder then my IBS.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

--------------------
Michelle

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review