All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Perfectionist
      #2654 - 03/13/03 03:18 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

REading through the posts, I"m wondering if I"m interpreting a few things here. It seems a few ibs-ers consider themselves perfectionists. I was told by my doc that I suffered an anxiety disorder due to being an overachiever in highschool. Now, 10 years on, though I don't think I"m anxious, people still say I"m a perfectionist or overachiever.

ANyone else the same?

Oh - another thing - seems like a lot of people on the board are teachers. Me too! What a coincidence!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Perfectionist new
      #2667 - 03/13/03 05:38 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You sound just like me! I'm a teacher, was an overachiever (brutal perfectionist while in school) and have an anxiety disorder (OCD) which I just had diagnosed this fall, but have had all my life. I hated being a perfectionist - but I just had to exhaust myself to every small detail. I'm not quite as bad anymore, but the OCD has taken a turn for the worse, and although I'm less stressed than when I was teaching (I'm stying home to raise my son), my anxiety was still out of control. I'd love to get to know you better - maybe we can help each other out. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2706 - 03/13/03 10:21 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

OH, holy cow yes!! Perfectionist, overachiever, too hard on yourself, put too much pressure on myself. I don't mean to do this and while in college I can see where I was doing it (graduated suma cum laude while holding 2 jobs) now I'm 30 years old, a mom, and should know better. But I guess you can only do so much to change your psychological make-up. I am a teacher too!!!!!!!!! Taught first grade before staying home with the kiddos. How odd! Thanks for the thought provoking post.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#2769 - 03/13/03 08:14 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I think you hit the nail on the head. Perfectionism: by the time I was in third grade my teacher had to constantly remind me not to erase *every single* mistake and start over! Anxiety: I worry about *everything.* I mean EVERYTHING. AND...I'm going to be a teacher. Or, I will be a teacher if anyone hires me after I graduate in May! Yet another thing to worry about....

#2771 - 03/13/03 09:32 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

me too me too! i'm a perfectionist and always have been. although i am NOT a teacher, and don't plan on it. hmmm maybe it's in my destiny though and i just don't know it yet... nah. ;-) i have wondered wheather i might have a touch of OCD cuz i do have a tendency to do things in a certain order and "just so" but there's probably more to it that i don't know.

beth

#2777 - 03/14/03 12:35 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Girls this is getting a little spooky, I too am a teacher!!!! I am also sure my family would class me as a perfectionist and at times a pessimist! Everthing has to be just so in my house although I have improved in that area since my son was born. It's increasingly difficult keeping the house "just so" with a 2 yr old.

I must admit I can't relax with mess around. My husband always says sit down and rest but I can't until everything is done. He's a real glass is half full person but I'm usually the glass is half empty kind so we even each other out!

Yet another "perfectionist teacher"
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2780 - 03/14/03 04:00 AM
tlc

How odd is this??? My mum said to me that when I was in my early years of education, I would be such a perfectionist with my homework sheets, that I'd erase so much out to restart - which resulted in big tears in my paper!!!

I too worry about absolutely evertyhing and everyone else and I really hate things that are beyond my control!!

#2781 - 03/14/03 04:03 AM
tlc

In seeking to be 'the best' I can - I too put too much pressure on myself. I'm not happy settling for something that's not perfect (when it comes to my own performance) and I dread failure or criticism in my performance. I am a highschool teacher and Head of Department for curriculum.

#2782 - 03/14/03 04:06 AM
tlc

Isn't it bizarre? I thought there was something that appeared coincidental with a few of us on the board! I don't have OCD (apart from the TP issue which I started on the board a week or so back). However, I am a brutal perfectionist in my work.

It would be great to get to know each other better. Here's a start. I'm 26, been a highschool teacher (english and drama) for 6 years. AT age 24, I became head of department, curriculum at a new college. I hate things that are seemingly beyond my control and I worry about everyone - sometimes maybe I try to take on too much responsibility for others egfamily?

Wow - that is deep! But would love to hear back from you - all of you

#2783 - 03/14/03 04:09 AM
tlc

This is spooky indeed!

I"m not a perfectionist in the house (except for the TP having to be on the right way for me!).

I am a perfectionist in my work and dealing with others eg family etc. Can't stand things beyond my control and can't procrastinate for the life of me!

My boss just told me that I work like a bat out of hell! hehe

Were you a primary or highschool teacher? I"m at a new college in brissy.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review