All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
abdominal fullness
      #263482 - 05/15/06 11:46 AM
darby70

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: ohio

does anyone else with IBS have this problem, or is it something else that is bothering me? i have been diagnosed with IBS, though my doctor is now questioning that since the following symptom has arrived. i have started having problems with feeling full all of the time, along with my nausea, constipation and pain. can't remember what it is like to be hungry. i do eat regular meals anyway and frequently make myself ill. i am starting on the IBS diet, so i am sure that will help. i haven't lost weight, but at this rate i will as regular meals are soon becoming a thing of the past. thanks for any help anyone can give me. my doctor (a gastroenterologist at that) seems clueless.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: abdominal fullness new
      #263487 - 05/15/06 12:08 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

No idea if it's a typical IBS symptom or not, but I know I get it. Not all the time, but pretty frequently. Have it right now ironically - have barely eaten all day, but still feel stuffed. Had 1 plain baked potato for tea but only managed half - yet feel like I've eat a baby elephant!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#263491 - 05/15/06 12:19 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm there with ya! I have no idea what regular hunger feels like anymore. It's annoying.

ETA: I've seen three GI docs and none of them really addressed that problem. I'm now taking 20 mg of Celexa, which seems to be helping.

--------------------
~jules

Edited by jules (05/15/06 12:20 PM)

Have you been tested for ... new
      #263495 - 05/15/06 12:34 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...delayed gastric emptying?

I have both IBS and delayed gastric emptying. That means the food doesn't digest at a normal speed. Just kind of sits there...so I feel full all the time and I'm not hungry. I tried Reglan (prescription) for this, but the drug made me sicker.

Try to eat little and often. I know it's hard. I'm hoping my situation is temporary and that eventually, if I continue eating, my emptying will increase as it gets used to food. But thats because mine was probably caused by an ED. If you have it and haven't had an ED, I think it's something you have to live with. There is a diet for it, though. If you do a search, WendySmiling has this and has given some great websites for help on how to eat.

Of course, this is assuming you even have this! But it sounds like it to me. I would really ask to be tested for this.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#263674 - 05/16/06 01:11 PM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

When I feel that way, I have an 8oz. glass of Pom Wonderful (PURE) pomegranate juice. It's the only juice I can drink that does not cause heartburn, gas and/or D (yes, I did mean AND/OR. ugh!). I have GERD, delayed gastric emptying and IBS and for some reason the pure pom juice helps move things along without giving me D.

Hope you can find something that helps soon

Best of luck!!

#263689 - 05/16/06 02:08 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

This is a HUGE problem with me, too. I'm rarely hungary, which pretty much means that I don't eat too much. Because of this, I lost a lot of weight, but I'm trying to gain it back, with no success. I take triphala and flax seed, which seems to be helping a lot right now. Hope you find something that helps!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Re: Have you been tested for ... new
      #263812 - 05/16/06 09:14 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Hey Augie (& anyone else that's reading...),

I have this feeling of "fullness" and/or no appetite, sometimes even light constant nausea, too. Mornings find me nauseous, which doesn't always go away throughout the day. I don't like

Augie - You thought that your lack of appetite & fullness was caused by a previous eating disorder, right? How did you come to that conclusion? Here's why I ask...

I basically beat up my body for quite a while, working a lot and subsisting on Starbucks coffee drinks almost exclusively. the drinks effectively stole my appetite. Due to this, I'm thinking my body stopped expecting food and thus stopped the feeling of "hungry" 'cause I "trained" my body to function with no food. I was essentially starving myself for quite a while - anorexia w/o the bad body image.

Does this resonate with you, based on your experience? Anyone else? Can you body turn off the "hungry" feeling if you don't eat for a long period of time (such as with Anorexia)? Payback's a b*&$%, and I think I'm totally getting my butt kicked 'cause of my poor eating habits (or complete lack of eating). Sucks...

~ e.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Re: Have you been tested for ... new
      #263831 - 05/17/06 07:00 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Quote:

I'm thinking my body stopped expecting food and thus stopped the feeling of "hungry" 'cause I "trained" my body to function with no food. I was essentially starving myself for quite a while

This is why my doctors believe I now have delayed gastric emptying. Supposedly, when the body does not receive food on a constant basis, not to mention the years of abuse, it comes to not expect food and loses the ability to recognize hunger and also learns to shut down and not function because it doesn't have to. My doctor (and I pray he is right) believes that once the body gets used to having food consistently, it will begin to function a little better. I just pray it isn't permanently turned off. I haven't been ED for over 1 1/2 years and it hasn't come back yet. But then again, I haven't been tested for DGE lately either. So, I'm not sure if it has increased emptying time and to what degree.

Quote:

Can you body turn off the "hungry" feeling if you don't eat for a long period of time (such as with Anorexia

I hope this is the case, and that it is a permanent condition that will get better over the years. I think of movies where people have been denied food for long periods of time. When they are fed, they sometimes throw it all up or get diarrhea (saw this on Survivor, in fact)!

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Does anyone else's doctor have an opinion on whether or not things will get better, or if this is a permanent consequence of the abuse?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5617 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2213

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review