All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hello from a (bloated) new user
      #263285 - 05/13/06 11:13 PM
Avivale

Reged: 05/13/06
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hi everyone-- I've been lurking on the site for a while and decided it was time for me to thank everybody, Heather in particular, for all the really useful information and support here. You give me hope that I may get my condition under control... eventually.

Thankfully I seem to have a very mild case of IBS. My primary symptom is bloating-- I have been non-stop bloated since my diagnosis 6+ months ago. Originally I had severe constipation too.

My gastroenterologist was no help-- if anything he may have made things worse by putting me on a series of antibiotics to reduce bacteria count in my stomach. I tried acupuncture for a few months too. I think that helped some, but not enough to justify $100 per visit.

As for my current bloating problem, if anyone has any insights or a similar situation I'd love to hear about it. I have better and worse weeks (including some food poisoning last week-- oh no!), but currently it seems that almost anything I eat causes my abdomen to double in size. Dairy, soy, and peanut butter seem to be particular triggers but it's hard to say with certainty what is and isn't.

Fennel tea has no effect on me. Chinese herbs (from my acupuncturist) seem to keep my digestive system in a "calmer" state, but don't do anything about the bloating. And they're expensive so I'd like to find an alternative. I recently started using Benefiber. It has completely eradicated any remaining constipation issues, but also makes me bloat. After more careful reading on the website and message boards, I am thinking that maybe I jumped in with too high a dosage and will lower it.

I also just bought some probiotic capsules. I went to Vitamin Shoppe and somehow let the salesman talk me into the Vitamin Shoppe brand. Then I came back to my computer tonight and read that good probiotics need refrigeration. Unless someone advises otherwise, I'll stick with what I have for now and see if it does anything.

I think that's about it. Thank you all again!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello from a (bloated) new user new
      #263286 - 05/13/06 11:37 PM
neves4

Reged: 04/30/06
Loc: Redding, CA

You heard right from what I have learned. Good probiotics do need refrigeration due to the good bacteria in them (I relate it to eating Yogurt-has the bacteria and needs refrigeration!

#263664 - 05/16/06 12:45 PM
MerryWeather

Reged: 05/16/06

Avivale, I totally relate to your situation. I have been almost a year in bloatedness now. It's so sad to see all my nice clothes haning unworn because I have to accomodate a bloated belly practically every day...and yet I wake up almost OK. All I have to do is eat a little something and wham-o, my belly is pouched out and I'm looking preggers.

Granted when I started on this whole IBS thing, I had some pains and really bad bloatedness, so I learned safe foods and started taking triphala. I am now quite regular for BM, but that hasn't seemed to help my bloatedness one iota. I've tried acacia and peppermint teas. I've tried gas-x and other OTC remedies for gas. Not a darn thing really has happened when I've taken these things.

Now I contemplate just not eating for a few days just to see my former physique. I am desperate

#263692 - 05/16/06 02:49 PM
Avivale

Reged: 05/13/06
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hello MerryWeather,

Well it's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one in this situation-- you describe my condition exactly-- so I really thank you for your response. On the other hand, it's demoralizing to know that you haven't found a solution, either.

So your body just stays at this status quo? You haven't noticed anything get worse over time, have you? One thing I worry is maybe my symptoms will progress on to something worse.

I have never heard of triphala. Have you tried probiotics? I'll report back if I notice any improvement using them.

#267443 - 06/03/06 03:49 PM
MerryWeather

Reged: 05/16/06

Hi - I have tried priopiotics without much consequence other than I seemed even more bloated when I started which is supposedly a typical initial response.

Well if you really want to know, my bloatedness evolved over time. Started out small and then over the course of about 6 months became more pronounced. At present I cannot expand further than I already do. I have episodes you could say...I go for months with a smaller bloat but at present I am at pufferfish pregnancy all out bloat. So it's back to scouring the archives here for information and such.

Apparently the triphala is doing nothing now to combat this round. Perhaps it was only a temporary solution.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1679 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1228

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review