All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chinese Herbs
      #262915 - 05/11/06 06:02 PM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

I am IBS-C. I have had abdominal pain, gasiness, bloating and constipation. All the wonderful symptoms we all share. I tried Zelnorm for a month. It worked pretty well but didn't eliminate the constipation and I still had symptoms, albeit lessened. I have been off Zelnorm now for 10 days.

I am currently taking a Chinese herb called Xiang Sha Yan Wei Wan (Hsiang stomach Pill). I have been on it now for 5 days. It is working!!! I take 8 pills three times daily but today for the first time in a long time, I ate with very little aftermath!!

I just wanted to share this and will definitely keep you updated because if it works for me, it might work for other IBS-C'ers.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chinese Herbs new
      #262965 - 05/11/06 08:50 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Cool! Is it recommended as just for IBS-C? Glad its helping you...

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#262967 - 05/11/06 09:01 PM
mtmtmt

The symptoms I reported to to the doctor that advised me to start this medication were constipation, bloating, fullness abdominal pain and gasiness. So, I assume that if you have these symptoms, it might work for you.

#263012 - 05/12/06 06:52 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

my boss has a friend that is into Chinese medicine and things. I'm not sure what it is all about, but I heard it works well. I'm glad this is working for you! it is nice to hear success stories.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Where did you find this product? new
      #263015 - 05/12/06 06:58 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm really interested!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Where did you find this product? new
      #263728 - 05/16/06 06:11 PM
mtmtmt

Hi. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I have been off the boards for a few days. Guess why? Because I feel really good!! I took the herb for 7 days and it was like a miracle. I am no longer on it now b/c I am trying to get pregnant and can't take the herb while pregnant. But, 2 days off the herb and I am still fine! That is the basis of Chinese Medicine - to rebalance the body and it rebalanced me! I still have some mild constipation but I can eat with NO pain, NO gas, NO bloating, NO fear!
I got the herb from a company that will only sell to doctors but I also found it at www.healingplace.com. If you cut and paste the herb's name (see my first post) and do a search, you will find a bunch of different places that carry it. Healingplace.com has the same exact brand I was taking.
Good luck - I truly hope it works for you! I feel normal again!

#263792 - 05/16/06 08:02 PM
nanajoan

Reged: 05/16/06

Hi,
Did your doctor suggest you take this herb mix? I mean what exactly is it? It could be helping your tummy and killing off your liver. (ha ha) I want to know what something is before I put it in my body. What does Heather say about it?

#263823 - 05/17/06 06:02 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Found this information.

Hsiang Stomach Pill is a natural herbal supplement which enables men and women to eliminate that bloating and distressful feelings of stomach upset. If Hsiang Stomach Pill is taken regularly, individuals will no longer be deprived of enjoyable good eating. Hsiang Stomach Pill is a natural product which have been used for hundreds of years by Chinese herbalist as a safe and effective dietary supplement in treating the discomfort of gastric distress.

Functions and indications:
Classical foundation formula to tonify spleen qi, and remove clamp and phlegm. For poor digestion due to phlegm-damp, with poor appetite, loose stools or diarrhea, indigestion, acid regurgitation, and nausea. Also useful for dizziness or mental disorders due to stomach phlegm accumulation.

Contents: 200 pills (160mg each)

Net Wt.: 1.13 oz (32g)

Ingredients: Citrus Peel (Citrus reticulata) 17.39mg, Licorice Root (Glcyrrhiza uralensis) 5.25mg, Aucklandia Root (Aucklandia lappa): 12.17mg, Atractylodes Root 17.39mg, Herbal Agastachis: 12.17mg, Cyperus Root: 12.17mg, Poria Fungus: 17.39mg, Pinellia Root: 17.39mg, Amomum Peel: 12.17mg, Magnolia Peel: 12.17mg

Direction: Take 8 pills 3 times a day as a herbal supplement. Do not use if pregnant.

This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Do these ingredients look safe? new
      #263830 - 05/17/06 06:46 AM
Augie

...or do you guys think this is a false hope? (waste of money, gimmick, etc). Of course, it would be taken in addition to the EFI diet.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Do these ingredients look safe? new
      #263866 - 05/17/06 08:26 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Definitely talk to your doctor before starting this. Some of these ingredients (like licorice root) may interact with or negate the effects of medications you're currently on. It may help, but even though it's "natural" or an herbal remedy doesn't automatically make it safe or without side effects. You can look up the individual ingredients here:

Medline Plus Herb and Supplement index.

Re: Do these ingredients look safe? new
      #263953 - 05/17/06 03:39 PM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Definitly check with a doctor before you try this.

Many belive in Chinese herbs. Many meds have been developed from and are being resurched from these herb formulas.

I'm sure you can find information online and your library should have books on the subject.

Can also look at Bio Essence online. They are located in California.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

#264150 - 05/18/06 12:19 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Your post captured my interest. When you say "doctor", do you mean a gastro, or a doctor of traditional chinese medicine, or a naturopath...? How it is going now - still feeling better?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#264163 - 05/18/06 12:55 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Any type of herb not evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration scares me. Take at your own risk. It sounds promising but if it sounds too good to be true...

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#264223 - 05/18/06 04:55 PM
mtmtmt

Hi. My doctor is a Doctor of Chinese Medicine - born, trained in China as an herbologist and acupuncturist. I have been off the herb for 5 days and so far, I am feeling great. I am introducing new foods now, slowly, and so far, I am ok! Will definitely keep everyone posted.

#264225 - 05/18/06 05:01 PM
mtmtmt

Hi again. The formula contains Giant Hyssop, dried rind tangerine, Atractylodes, Poria and Cyperus. My Chinese medical diagnosis is not IBS, rather, it is Stomach Stagnation. With Stomach Stagnation, you get a variety of symptoms, including the ones I listed. The herbs relieve the Stagnation and in doing so, return the body to a normal balance.
Yes, you have to be very careful with any medication, even herbs, which is why you need to be seen by someone trained in Chinese Medicine. While I know we are all looking for the "quick" fix (wouldn't that be nice), taking herbs that do not suit your true Chinese diagnosis could cause further problems. I intended my post to be informative, not diagnostic.
I hope this helps!

#264229 - 05/18/06 05:08 PM
mtmtmt

I agree with you (see my previous post). However, it seems counterintuitive that we take Western medications so easily because they are "FDA approved". Think about how many medications have been FDA approved and then taken off the market because they are found to be toxic to the liver, kidneys, heart, etc...
Chinese medicine has been practiced for 8000 years. Everyone needs to be careful and should not take any medication (Western or Eastern) without careful research. But I do believe that it makes more sense to put your body back into a normal balance than simply to take medications that mask symptoms. Believe me, I am a believer in Western medicine - have taken Zelnorm, Elavil, etc... . I just believe there is an alternative and it should be explored. It is just too bad that because insurance does not cover these things, more people are unable to take advantage of the 1000s of years of experience.

How did you find this doctor? new
      #264310 - 05/19/06 07:23 AM
Augie

How do you find a reputable one? What state do you live in?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: How did you find this doctor? new
      #264427 - 05/19/06 06:16 PM
mtmtmt

This is a very good question. I live in Michigan. I believe there are a variety of certifying bodies in the US and in China. I don't know all of them. My doctor is not an MD but trained in China as an herbologist and acupuncturist. I have some background in Chinese Medicine so I was able to communicate well with him and feel comfortable with his diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Having an MD who is also certified in Chinese Medicine would be ideal, but difficult to find. Is there a medical school/university near you? Often, they are able to provide referrals or recommendations.
And if nothing else, spend a few bucks and get a consultation. If you are not comfortable, don't go back.
I am now 6 days without the herbs and still am doing great.
I think I actually might have spent a few minutes today NOT thinking about my IBS. WOW!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2950 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3179

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review