All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Triphala--What my Dr. said--not good! :(
      #262674 - 05/10/06 10:46 AM
clynn

Reged: 04/18/06

I had a visit with my gastro dr. today. I asked him about Triphala and he said that he doesn't really reccommend it because it does contain a stimulant that works like all of the 'no no' stimulants such as senna and cascara...he said it could be fine to take but can't say for sure since herbal remedies are not regulated there is no way to no how much of the stimulant is in it.

He has given me a prescription for Miralax...I am ready to try anything.!!!!!!!

Anyone else have their Dr.'s say anything about Triphala???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Triphala--What my Dr. said--not good! :( new
      #262688 - 05/10/06 11:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Haven't heard anything about triphala but I've used miralax for a long time, about 6 years now! A couple of tips-it may cause a little extra gas the first week or two but stick with it. It may take a couple of days to work but sometimes it works immediately. You can play with your dose a bit, if after a few days, you're still not going, add in a second dose or if you are turning into a D, then cut your dose in half! Be sure to drink lots of water through out the day as it is an osmotic laxative and works by pulling water into your colon!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Triphala--What my Dr. said--not good! :( new
      #262689 - 05/10/06 11:54 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I think Augie's doc said it was fine to take up to 4000 mg/day. What frustrates me is that the medical community isn't in agreement about things like this. I know that treatments vary from person to person and can't be helped, and herbal supplements can be regarded as highly questionable. But still....

--------------------
~jules

He did say it was okay new
      #263025 - 05/12/06 07:27 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I asked about senna, cascara sagrada, and aloe. He said no to those, but said that triphala was okay. I asked "are you sure"? and the nurse emailed me back saying it was okay...up to 4000 mg a day.

I hate the inconsistencies too! You are we suppose to believe? This is our only body!!! Wish the doctors would take it more seriously when they are playing guessing games with our lives!

So, Jules, what ya think about Triphala?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: He did say it was okay new
      #263052 - 05/12/06 08:38 AM
jules

Well, I posted earlier about how I saw my third GI. She said to stop taing all supplements. Which I did. And she started me on 20 mg Celexa/day. I stopped being bloated within one hour of taking it and am still bloat-free. We'll see how things go.

Have you ever tried an anti-depressant? Talk to your doc about it. Sara-sage said she's on Celexa and has been practically symptom-free since starting it.

No more triphala for me per my doc, but that's because she wants to see if the AD works. One thing at a time, and all that...

--------------------
~jules

Hmmm... new
      #263054 - 05/12/06 08:54 AM
Augie

...my doctor told me Celexa would increase my constipation. I know Tina is a D so I thought that would probably be true. But you're a C. Keep me updated!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hmmm... new
      #263062 - 05/12/06 09:10 AM
jules

I read my little packet thingy, and it said that one of the side effects was diarrhea...but constipation wasn't listed.

Just wanted to add that...

--------------------
~jules

To Michele from Michigan new
      #263837 - 05/17/06 07:09 AM
clynn

Reged: 04/18/06

Thanks Michell1!! I am now on my second day of Miralax and I was just able to go!! yaaaayyyy!!!! am still bloated though. I am wondering do you follow heather's diet fully? if so, that plus the miralax are keeping you symptom free? I am still in denial thinking i can eat what i want and not restrict foods--i spend too many years doing that and don't want to again! so, just wondering if you follow the diet and if you are more or less symptom free? what has worked for you? THANK YOU !

Jules...how's the Celexa going? new
      #263850 - 05/17/06 07:32 AM
Augie

Still feel IBS relief with it? Hope so!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Jules...how's the Celexa going? new
      #263852 - 05/17/06 07:42 AM
jules

Thanks for asking. Within hours of taking my first dose on Wedneday, I felt great! I then felt great Thurs and Fri. I made some bad food decisions over the weekend and paid dearly. Back on track this past Monday with the food, and today I'm feeling pretty good.

Hardly any bloat, but I am running a little slower than usual. I took some MoM to help things along, but I think that added to the bloat that I felt earlier.

All in all, I feel really positive about it.

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 399 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review