All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can too much Acacia cause diarrhea?
      #262383 - 05/09/06 03:03 AM

Unregistered

I had been fairly settled for the past 12 months on a dosage of 16g Acacia daily. Four weeks ago I increased the Acacia to 20g daily hoping that this might bulk bm up and reduce the amount per day. Well, during this time I have gone back to mostly loose, non-formed bm with diarrhea and water.
I am wondering whether the Acacia could cause this? I am also on many meds for hypertension and am diabetic. I was put on another med around the time that I increased the Acacia so I am trying to work out what has happened. I had also been taking vitamin supplements agin since Christmas so I stopped the Vitamin C on Sunday (thinking that was the most likely to cause problems).
Thank you in anticipation of your positive comments.

Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can too much Acacia cause diarrhea? new
      #262466 - 05/09/06 09:43 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

When I started on Acacia (a year ago) I tried to take it like I took Benefiber. The dosage was way too high and I did get the big D for days and days until I posted asking what was the problem. I now take 15g a day and it is working fine. But I also took 1 1/2 Immodium in the morning after first BM. I just started taking Detrol LA for a bladder problem and stopped the Immodium because this pill is supposed to have a side effect of C. Not for me so far so I have added back the Immodium but may switch to Hyoscyamine again. It really is trial and error when we start any new meds or changes. Keep at it and you'll hopefully find what works for you. Sorry to be so chatty. To go back to your original question, for me the D came with a higher dose of Acacia. Good luck

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

so.... new
      #262486 - 05/09/06 10:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

you went above the 15 grams and got D as a result? Or did you just start out too high in the beginning?

I got the impression from the poster that she wasn't happy with the results she was getter with the 16 gram dose.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: so.... new
      #262538 - 05/09/06 02:27 PM

Unregistered

Beth

I had been happy with my stability but then I started to go more each day (although not loose or d.) so thought it might help if I upped the Acacia. Unfortunately I have done that at the same time as having medications increased & changed alongside introducing more supplements - so I have been a bit stupid really.
Anyway, for now I am sticking with the higher Acacia, have dropped the VitC and will drop the VitE if dropping the C does not bring results in a few days. (stopped it on Sunday).
Thank you both for your input.
Judith

good plan....hope it works out-nt new
      #262564 - 05/09/06 06:27 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1183

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review