All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
didnt feel too good after eating soy ...
      #261962 - 05/06/06 07:22 AM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

whats up with that...maybe it was my imagination...who knows...could it make anxiety worse? I know its a silly question but just wondering

--------------------
Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not silly at all.... new
      #262020 - 05/06/06 03:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Lots of folks have sensitivity to soy. I would check the other ingredients before giving it up altogether, though. For example, I found a great mochaccino soy milk - and I couldn't drink it because of the mocha content.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

You are not alone! new
      #262031 - 05/06/06 07:06 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I have been told by some of my friends, who are accupunture students, that 90% of people have trouble digesting soy. Soy is a bean, and it is one of the most difficult beans to digest. Not sure how accurate this is, but I just wanted to put it out there to see what you think.

90% Wow, I knew it was hard for some people to digest... new
      #262047 - 05/06/06 10:18 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

but I hadn't heard such high stats. I'm one of the lucky ones who have very little trouble if any with soy. Thank goodness.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Not silly at all.... new
      #262056 - 05/07/06 12:01 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

It also depends on what form it's in...the actually soy beans themselves can be really tough, but you might have better luck with soymilk, some of the softer tofu products, and tempeh (the soy is fermented, so it's easier to digest).

--------------------
Julia

Re: didnt feel too good after eating soy ... new
      #262070 - 05/07/06 08:01 AM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Soy Milk has been a nightmare for me lately so I've eliminated it completely and I feel much better. I believe that it can make anxiety worse if you can't tolerate it.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#262083 - 05/07/06 11:26 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You should try Rice Dream, or Almond Breeze milks. They taste great.

#262085 - 05/07/06 11:43 AM
discodiva

Reged: 05/07/06

Rice dream is great-it's what i have with cereal everyday- try the vanilla flavour that's nice too!

Soybean allergies....Re: Not silly at all.... new
      #262088 - 05/07/06 12:00 PM
Shar

Reged: 05/07/06

I was diagnosed with IBS when i was in my preteens, but i didn't discover until after i had my first child 10 years later that i can't tolerate soy or soybeans. It causes my IBS symptoms to get bad enough to have to go to the ER or wishing for death. When i asked a nurse about this, she said other than the fact soy is a bean, it is also a stimulant on the digestive system and they are discovering a lot of people have problems with it and trying to get the food companies to remove it from the majority of the food in stores. I can eat food with soy letchin in it, but no soy protein at all or any vegetable oils that use soy in its productions. The symptoms can range from mild discomfort to extreme flaming knife pains. I was testing myself on my trigger foods and discovered this totally by accident. As long as i avoid my trigger foods, soy and too much stress, i don't have any of the attacks i used to go through all the time. If you have any discomfort with soy milk or the like, you might want to see if you have an "allergy" to soybean. The intolerance for soybean develops over time if you start with mild discomfort. If you do, it doesn't mean you have to give up everything with soy in it. Just be careful by looking at labels and making sure that it isn't the majority in the food or the dominant ingredient if you can tolerate some discomfort from it. I hope this information helps some peoople as i sure wished i had known about it before.

#282005 - 09/13/06 10:54 AM
heeter

Reged: 09/13/06

Is this IBS-C in this discussion thread? I can eat nothing but rice, rice cereal w/soy milk and I still have painful gas/bloating, constipation, sharp pain and I frequently feel like I need a BM but can only pass mucus. I never thought of eliminating soymilk but I'll try it now. I've had trouble for about a year and used to take large amounts of soy protein shakes after being diagnosed with whey and dairy allergies.

#282136 - 09/13/06 08:29 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I've noticed this about myself as well. I seem to do okay with tofu, but too much soy or soymilk and I am in misery! Gas, pain, bloat, and often a terrible attack. I am still trying to figure out if it's from the soy or not. I guess I am in denial because I love soy products so much as they substitute nicely for many of the meat and dairy products I cut out of my diet. However, I am beginning to accept that I may be one of those people who can't tolerate it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4881 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1449

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review