All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
BM but no relief
      #26196 - 11/08/03 05:50 PM
helloihaveibs

Reged: 10/19/03

Hi,
Ive been following the soluble fibre diet for over two weeks again and have started going to the toilet again, without medication, which is a HUGE relief!! My problem is that i was feeling a lot better the first week but for the last 4 or so ways all the sympoms have come back, (pain, nause, bloating, gas and rumbling stomach) even though i am going to the toilet (not really regually but about every three or so days) I read somewhere that the biggest sign that you have IBS is that you start to get relief when you have a BM. I am getting none. Can you suggest any reasons? ive slipped off the diet a few times (and paid for it) but otherwise been really good. Im getting worried that i may have been mis-diagnosed, but then the diet wouldn't have worked at all would it? Please help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: BM but no relief new
      #26205 - 11/09/03 07:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you been checked out for Crohns or any other IBD or Colitis? You should have had a stool sample checked, and had a colonoscopy. If the diets been helping, then it can't be Celiac as there's loads of wheat in the usual IBS diet.

I don't always get relief from a BM. I think it's a bit confusing that this is held up as a symptom - I sometimes have problems before BMs because I'm GOING to have a BM, so obviously these get better afterwards, but this isn't always the case. Sometimes I'll feel worse!

Are you taking a soluble fibre supplement? If not, get yourself one. These REALLY help. Also, as you're IBS-c, are you being careful to incorporate enough INsoluble fibre in your diet? Some people seem to forget this as Heather is IBS-d.

Hope this helps.

Linz

#26226 - 11/09/03 02:21 PM
helloihaveibs

see the stupid thing is that my doctor told me i definatly have ibs because everything else has been ruled out. BUt i have never had a stool sample, a colonoscopy, been tested for celiac or chrones. grrr. could someone tell me exactly what IBD is? thanks

#26227 - 11/09/03 03:11 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - Check here to find out if you've been properly diagnosed with IBS & here to find out more info on IBD.

#26237 - 11/10/03 04:08 AM
helloihaveibs

Dont you only get diarreah with chrones? ive only had constipation. i dont understand how this diet can make me go to the toilet but not take away any other symptoms. in fact something im now eating is making the gas and bloating 10 TIMES WORSE. i dont have another doctors appointment for YONKS and im really worried

#26365 - 11/10/03 01:10 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

I cannot tell you for sure that you have IBS, as I am not a doctor, but I can tell you that I go through the exact same thing. There are times when having a BM makes all the other symptomes even worse--it's kinda weird like that. If you are having lots of improvement with your BMs, I assume that you have increased your fiber intake. Although fiber has lots of benefits, it can also cause pain, bloating, etc and thus make the IBS better and worse at the same time. I can only have small amounts of fiber otherwise I am uncomfortable all day. And different people react differently. What might help one person might make things worse for you: trial and error. I have a journal where I log in everything that I eat/how I feel/how I've slept, etc..until I find some patterns. Popcorn hurts some people, but it does nothing to me, for example. I also have realized that everytime I was worried/anxious/stressed, the pain reappears and becomes intolerable (I did not even think I was having those feelings until I logged them--annoyed at co-workers, mini fights with mom, etc...)
Hope this helps!

#26374 - 11/10/03 01:41 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Are you using herbal teas? I find Chamomile tea is the only thing that can really help when I'm having an attack. If you don't have reflux problems, try peppermint (Heather's fave). Fennel is good for the bloating.

#26414 - 11/10/03 03:26 PM
helloihaveibs

HI again, thanks for the replies. its good to know im not the only one who feels worse after going to the toilet. I just worry becuse ive NEVER felt better after a BM. I've been eating lots of soluble fibre of course, not that much insoluble, so i doubt its making me worse. i dont know. But anyway, thanks again for the help

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1218

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review