All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
KAMUT FLOUR
      #26190 - 11/08/03 02:23 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

Can anyone tell me why Kamut flour would cause me to feel so nauseated and sick? I made pancakes with that flour from a health food store (I added honey, and soy milk to it, and omitted the oil). I also used pam cooking spray to keep the fat down, and I felt as if I would pass out after eating two pancakes with just egg whites!! I have been on a wheat and gluten free diet for about 6 weeks. The doctor did not put me on this diet. I was always feeling sick after ingesting oat bran and whole wheat bread.

Thanks for any input.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: KAMUT FLOUR new
      #26195 - 11/08/03 04:14 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

I'm pretty sure that Kamut is a form of wheat. Its slighty different in some way - which i'm not exactly sure of - more ancient or a simpler form of wheat, something like that - but if you have trouble with wheat, then i have heard (and your experience backs this up) you should avoid Kamut also.

#26201 - 11/08/03 07:19 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

"Kamut is more nutritious than regular wheat due to a higher protein and potassium content. It also contains a unique type of gluten that is said to be easier to digest than common wheat gluten." So, it does contain gluten and is wheat based.

#26224 - 11/09/03 11:24 AM
gilmoregirl

Reged: 11/05/03

I was diagnosed with celiac a year ago and I can tell you that kamut flour has gluten in it. If you have been on a GF diet for six weeks that is probably why you felt ill to the kamut pancakes. If you have been diagnosed with celiac disease you would probably be better to stick with rice, potato and tapioca flours. I know it limits you but there are some great GF mixes out there for all types of baked goods. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Jackie

#26234 - 11/09/03 10:16 PM
LillibetM

Hi,

I haven't been diagnosed with Celiac. I just decided to quit using wheat products after having problems with it since January. This was directly after having g/b surgery. I'm feeling a lot better when I stay away from wheat and gluten... Is it possible to have Celiac and the tests come back negative?

I did buy brown rice flour and tried making a pizza but it was just awful... the texture didn't bother me as I love brown rice, but the bitter after taste did. You mentioned mixes for muffins and other things... could you suggest some? What do you use for cakes? Pizza? breads? Right now I'm using a lot of corn tortillas, and I bought some corn pasta.

Thanks for any help you can give.

#26235 - 11/09/03 10:17 PM
LillibetM

Also, could you tell me the symptoms of Celiac disease?

#26277 - 11/10/03 09:21 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Thank you for posting this response. As you know, kamut and spelt flours are no-no for celiac folks because of the gluten. And as you well know, barley, rye and oats are OUT as well. I've been wheat allergic for over 25 years, but NOT gluten and have found I can tolerate, but in moderation and only occasionally, kamut and spelt flours because of the different enzyme structure. As I understand it, these two old world wheat varieties do not contain 2 enzymes that are normally in all newer hybrid wheat varieties. Those are the enzymes that give us wheat sensitive folks problems.

Now, a question for you since you have been positively diagnosis as celiac. Talking to a local celiac educator she informed me that celiac patients should NOT consume Stevia or guar gum. (I happened to mention that Stevia made me ill even though I am not celiac. ) She couldn't give me the specifics on it at the time. I'm in the process of researching it through a higher source. Do you happen to know why? If a celiac should not consume guar gum then that means they should stay away from Benefiber for IBS.

In the meantime if someone is truly going wheat free I personally would recommend avoidance of spelt and kamut just to be on the safe side. The alternatives out there are wonderful!!!
Kandee

--------------------

#26474 - 11/11/03 05:33 AM
LillibetM

But I was not diagnosed as having Celiac disease. I'm on the wheat free/gluten free diet trying to find out if those are the things that's causing me problems. I'm eating oat bran though... sometimes I get a sick feeling in my stomach from the oat bran, and other times I don't.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 624 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1819

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review