All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C newbie needs support!
      #261643 - 05/04/06 04:35 PM
jewels

Reged: 05/03/06
Loc: southern California

hey - I'm a newbie and a little lost on these boards!!!...will a few of you help me out? I'm IBS-C and really tired of it . I've begun using the acacia powder and increased soluble fibers, more water etc. How long do I have to wait for relief?! Can I continue with some senna laxatives? Also, what is the correct amount of soluble and insoluble fibers I ought to be having in my daily diet? Thanks so much for advice and support!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C newbie needs support! new
      #261718 - 05/05/06 05:18 AM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Hey Jewels,

I just posted a message yesterday morning titled "It's official! I'm an IBSer!" - 'cause I'm in the same boat as you.

I just went through ALL of the myriads of tests (and geez, some of them aren't pleasant)...all tests were normal. Thus, we're at the IBS-C diagnosis now. In fact, I have my followup appt. with my GI doc today. **NOTE: One thing I've had hammered into me is the importance of going through ALL of those tests- even the nasty ones that include collecting your poop (!!), drinking barium and/or other contrast agents. Truly - it can be unpleasant, but then at least you know there's no other disease lurking in you that you DON'T want to miss.

I've been "lurking" on this site & the boards, posting occasionally, over the last few months. This site has helped TREMENDOUSLY. I can totally understand why you'd feel lost on the boards though.

What I did to get started was read the general info that is posted here about IBS, what it is, the different treatment options, etc. In actuality, most of that info is a duplicate (excerpts) from Heather's book "The First Year: IBS", which I just bought today. It's great & would really help you get a handle on the disorder & what you can do to regain control. Most all of your questions from your post are answered on this site in the "general info"/non-message-board portion. Or in the book. Or thru doing a "Search" for those things.

In terms of finding what you're looking for within the actual message boards, I used the "Search" option a lot - it's in that light green "menu bar" along the top of the page. That helped me focus in on what I really wanted to know at that time. Other times I'll just peruse the different posts, learning from other folks' experiences. And asking followup questions when necessary.

One thing that I've learned is important to a lot of folks here is that you do a search on a subject before asking a question. Not that you would be ignored if you asked a repeat question, but it sure helps if people look for the already-posted answers. That way you DEFINITELY won't get passed over 'cause someone doesn't want to repeat themselves, ya know?

On a side note - I gotta say, after reading some of the the experiences of others here, I think if I had to choose either the D-predominant or the C-predominant IBS (as crazy uncomfortable as the C is, I know!), I think C is a little easier to handle on a practical, every-day level - no need to stress out about bathroom locations and the like. So I've found a LITTLE encouragement there...but believe me, I'm not discounting C discomfort/pain at all...I know you're suffering as well. 'Cause so am I, and it sucks. But congrats on wanting to take control & turn things around.

Oops. I see this got kinda long. Sorry! If you need any other help, just let me know.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

#261748 - 05/05/06 07:01 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

You should definitely search around, and also check out Heather's newsletters about constipation (under "IBS News & Reviews" at the top of the page). But here are my oft-posted IBS-C guidelines:

1. You need IF. Every dang meal. Of course, you need SF with every meal too - the key is a little of both. Vegetables and fruit are safer sources than whole grains, and of course you can cook/chop/puree them into submission if you're worried about cramping. Just keep increasing your IF until you feel better.

2. Fluids are key. You want to be drinking all day long and get a minimum of 64 oz per day. Peppermint tea is wonderful to ease cramping, and warm fluids in general tend to "get you going".

3. Exercise every day. If you're going through a C period, try to increase the intensity. But even a daily 30 minute walk will encourage your colon to do its job.

Really, the only difference between how you handle D and how you handle C is that us C folks need to be enthusiastic eaters of IF (because Heather's diet makes us eat SF, which will cushion it for us) and dedicated exercisers.

--AC

#262091 - 05/07/06 12:22 PM
jewels

thank you so much Memmels and Astrochick!

I have truly appreciated your posts. And, I have learned alot from that good old search button.

So it seems that all that wonderful SFS will probably stop me up according to others experiences..... all I have to do is eat more IF! Funny, because that is what I was doing before I found this web site! So apparently, I have more work to do here in this area.

Memmels, I think I just read a post from you about depression? I know I experience this in an ebb/flow pattern. I am 47 and at the brink of the menopause decade. Are you near this or beyond? Anyway, I think I get depressed given all my IBS and hormonal circumstances and then sometimes my depression triggers my IBS! What do you think?!

All the best today and may your next trip to the potty be a happy one!

Jewels

#262146 - 05/07/06 03:28 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

SFS - actually, the SFS (Citrucel, etc.) will actually HELP constipation - remember, Citrucel et. al. is marketed as a laxative too. Even though it's not (which is what scares those with D as the primary problem). So for us C's, what the SFS does is creates that nice "goop" in the intestines which cushions the spasms, AND at the same time pushes thru/out some of the impacted stool (yum! sorry so graphic!). So...as long as you're upping your water intake and getting that ISF going too, it shouldn't stop you up. And if you're like me - I WANT that goop to cushion the crazy spasms - my insides spasm around the stuff that's stuck in there, trying to push it out...to no avail...and it just HURTS more. So I like my goop!

Also - We're lucky in that we don't have to worry about food just FLOWING through us. If anything, it just SITS. So we can be a bit more liberal with the ISF (while still being safe...). We don't have to be scared of it.

DEPRESSION - I'm only 27...so I can't blame menopause on my "down" feelings. And I can't blame it on PMS anymore since it's too consistent - bummer. I lost my excuse. So, my guess is that I'm just traveling through a particularly hard space in life right now - that "quarterlife crisis" where I don't know where I'm heading for sure into the future - plus the IBS, plus some other less critical issues that I'm aware of and keep beating myself up about. Hence, my desire to find some professional who can help me process this stuff in a PRODUCTIVE way. I just need to get OUT of my head!!!!! I'll soon start talking to myself, I'm afraid. Different voices and everything!

I went to church today for the first time in a bunch of months (I broke my foot early on which really got me out of the "groove"). It was GREAT. I reconnected with several folks who really spoke into my life in that area of feeling overwhelmed. So today's a good day! I'm feeling more in control. Let's hope it lasts?!?

~ Emily

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

#262304 - 05/08/06 12:04 PM
jewels

Memmles - thanks again for being so open and forthcoming with your info.

I will checkinto the citrucel SFS....the whole goop issue is one I never put together until now! (trying to keep a sense of humor about all this ......

I totally get ya on the talking to yourself/crazy stuff. I've had my ups and downs since my 20's - maybe I've stayed in my "quarterlife crisis" a bit too long - HA! I have tried a lower sugar diet approach to this, as well as smaller protein based meals...(tryptophan rich foods - turkey) follwed with complex carbs a while later....and it helped believe it or not! But, this IBS-C thing is new and have to figure out how all that can work with it.

I really think calming stressors is the key and church/supportive people are the key for sure! Getting out of the head - ah yes....very wise thought to be sure. Good fo you...focus on positive thoughts and positive things will result. I'm a believer

Be well today and keep your posts going, you've got friends!

Julia (jeweles)

#263410 - 05/15/06 07:03 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Quote:

Vegetables and fruit are safer sources than whole grains

Is this true for most of us? Do you know why, exactly?

Kandee just emailed me that she does better with IF grains (GF) than the fruits. I think that's what she was saying.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1919 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1110

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review