All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
do i have to give up my favorite foods? salad and tomato sauce!
      #261392 - 05/03/06 05:10 PM
didi

Reged: 03/21/06

Being new to this community, I finally decided to give Heather's diet suggestions a try...only to find that ALL of my favorite foods are banned! No wonder I've had such terrible gas for these past 2 years! LOL

For you experts out there, is it ok to eat:
1. pasta with red sauce (with cooked tomatoes, mushrooms, ground turkey, and a tiny bit of chopped onions).
2. Salad (with romain lettuce, corn, tomatoes, tofu, cucumber, and my favorite japanese sesame dressing?)

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: do i have to give up my favorite foods? salad and tomato sauce! new
      #261393 - 05/03/06 05:16 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I can manage my own homemade sauce, but in limitation. I love Italian food and even lived in Italy. As long as I have some Italian bread before I have any pasta and sauce I am usually okay while I'm stable. If I'm not stable, I steer clear of anything like tomatoes. And I don't have any luck with salad, so its a no-go for me. Start with your SF, and a little of your favs at a time, see how it goes!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#261394 - 05/03/06 05:22 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

Being new to this community, I finally decided to give Heather's diet suggestions a try...only to find that ALL of my favorite foods are banned! No wonder I've had such terrible gas for these past 2 years! LOL I know what you mean! However, fruits and vegetables aren't banned, but since they're usually high in insoluble fiber you want to incorporate them safely into a soluble fiber based meal.

For you experts out there, is it ok to eat:
1. pasta with red sauce (with cooked tomatoes, mushrooms, ground turkey, and a tiny bit of chopped onions). I think as long as the marinara sauce is low-fat it should be fine. Some people have problems with the acidity of cooked tomatoes, but I that might have more to do with upper GI problems, like GERD. I think in a past newsletter Heather recommended adding a pinch of brown sugar to neutralize the acid. Do you make your own sauce? It sounds tasty and safe to me! If you're buying prepared sauce watch for high fructose corn syrup and other additives that are IBS triggers.

2. Salad (with romain lettuce, corn, tomatoes, tofu, cucumber, and my favorite japanese sesame dressing?) Heather recommends eating salads at the end of a a SF based meal. This salad is probably too high to eat alone, but you could have small serving after eating your pasta! Make sure your cucumber is seeded and peeled and that your dressing is LF and doesn't contain any triggers.

Thanks!

#261419 - 05/03/06 10:19 PM
didi

thanks for the advice everyone! unfortunately I don't have the time lately to make my own sauce (though I used to) and I just checked the spaghetti sauce jar and I don't see any ingredients listed. ODD! It's RAGU traditional, and I suspect there is fructose because it tastes "sweeter" than other brands.

I never considered that I could be sensitive to fructose but it is definitely a possibility! Lots of bloating, burping, and flatulence after my meal...that's for sure!

#261420 - 05/03/06 10:21 PM
didi

thank you! I just had my pasta and I have horrible gas right now. Maybe I should stay clear from it for a while. Since you are such a "pasta expert", do you know any "safe" pasta sauce recipes I can substitute for.

I make my own sauces.. but a few tips to speed up the process.. new
      #261427 - 05/04/06 04:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) use a crock pot if you want all day flavour... if not- saute in some water (or tomato juice- if you like chunks in your sauce, use diced tomatoes and use the liquid to sautee, then add the tomatoes to the sauce) all the solid stuff to cook it well with the spices- chicken/turkey, mushrooms, etc.. onion..

then add the tomatoes and let simmer for a few minutes- it normally takes me no longer to make sauce then to cook the noodles and I always get compliments...

MOST jarred sauces have HFCS or dairy in some form in them.. I've been buying without on occasion but they are way high in fat content compared to homemade...

another suggestion- if you can handle the plain noodles ok and tomatoes aren't a trigger, just eat less sauce on your pasta.. most americans drench their pasta, but you don't really need to!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Ragu 7 Herb Tomato is safe. And you might take a look at... new
      #261461 - 05/04/06 07:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

this recent thread on the Recipe Board.

I do fine with salads now - I make sure I have at least half of the rest of my meal eaten before I start on one. It took me a few months on the EFI Diet to even attempt one, though, and for a long time I treated them like dessert: I could only have one after I'd cleaned my plate. When you first start trying them, consider leaving out the corn (that can be hard to digest) and be sure to peel and seed the cucumbers. Raw tomatoes are an iffy vegetable for some people, although I never had any trouble with them. If they give you trouble, you can try peeling and seeding them, too. (My grandmother just used canned tomatoes in her salads sometimes - they were pretty good and a lot less work than peeling and seeding them by hand.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (05/04/06 07:33 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1047

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review