All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raisins? Fat-free mayo?
      #261242 - 05/03/06 06:20 AM
Joan5

Reged: 05/03/06

I am just starting the IBS diet after struggling for several years with some symptoms which became serious after a bout w/ pneumonia in Feb. After I went off the heavy antibiotics (which I took for over a month), my symptoms increased ten-fold, with terrible gastric pain, loose bowels, constant cramping. MD refuses to formally diagnose IBS, but I just know that's what it is, esp. after medical tests on my stools came back negative for bacterial infection, parasites, etc. This is my favorite site and I am now taking the Acacia powder and have done many changes to my diet, but my question is---what about raisins? Can't seem to find anything on that. Also, if I am to avoid dairy, why is fat-free mayo OK? What about fat-free Miracle Whip? Help, please! What about herbal teas, which I love? What ingredients must I avoid in teas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raisins? Fat-free mayo? new
      #261252 - 05/03/06 06:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

MD refuses to formally diagnose IBS, but I just know that's what it is, esp. after medical tests on my stools came back negative for bacterial infection, parasites, etc.
You should check the list of conditions that must be ruled out and tests that must be done before diagnosing IBS and make sure you're had them. And I think you really need a diagnosis. If your current doctor won't diagnose IBS, what does he say you have?

This is my favorite site and I am now taking the Acacia powder and have done many changes to my diet, but my question is---what about raisins?
Raisins are IF, so add them back into your diet very cautiously and always with a good SF base.

Can't seem to find anything on that.
You won't find information about every food you consider eating - although the Boards have talked about an incredible variety of them - so here's a good post with three very simple rules.

Also, if I am to avoid dairy, why is fat-free mayo OK?
I'm not following this one. As far as I know, there's no dairy in fat-free mayo?

What about fat-free Miracle Whip?
It depends on what's in it. If you're still a little unsure about what's okay in an ingredient list (it took me months before I felt confident reading one), you can list the ingredients here and ask others on the Board to take a look.

Help, please! What about herbal teas, which I love? What ingredients must I avoid in teas?
Herbal teas are one of the products Heather highly recommends and, in fact sells, so I think you've missed a step here. I strongly recommend you read about the EFI Diet again, not on the Message Board, but on the Website itself. Or, better yet, get "The First Year - IBS". If you don't want to buy it, your library may have a copy.

As far as I know, all herbal teas are safe - I've never run across one with any of the trigger foods or irritants in it (but I'm not very herbal tea adventurous). Heather specifically recommends peppermint (anti-spasmodic), fennel (anti-gas), ginger (anti-nausea and soothing), and chamomile (soothing), along with some other less common ones. Peppermint and ginger may cause you problems if you have acid reflux.

HTH. I developed IBS-D after yet one more round of antibiotics (although there were other contributing factors). Heather's EFI Diet has been like a miracle for me and I hope it will work as well for you.

If I might offer you some advice you didn't ask for, I was super-cautious about food for quite a while after starting the EFI Diet. Raisins - and any kind of mayo - were foods I came to only after a few months on the Diet.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1495 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 326

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review