All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Having troubles lately
      #260768 - 05/01/06 03:42 AM
pcgeek43505

Reged: 01/12/04

In the last couple of months, i have not been doing very well. My IBS-D had been acting up, then i got a lot of backpain and went to the doctor, and turns out my IBS-C was causing my back to hurt, in other words i guess im an IBS-A person. I haven't recently had good bowel movements and im wondering whats a good way to get the GI flowing without doctors prescriptions. The last thing that cleaned me out, i ended up having to take 40 pills to do it. Magcitrate, i cant take because of the taste, and i dont look forward to drinking a gallon of the solution. Any help would be appreciated

--------------------
"We just do what we do. This is the only way we know how to do it." -- David Draiman of DISTURBED

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having troubles lately new
      #260839 - 05/01/06 12:34 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Are you on Heather's diet? Are you doing any stress relief (yoga, hypnotherapy, meditation)? Are you following the basic IBS-C guidelines of IF at every meal, fluids all day long, and daily exercise?

Please tell us what you are doing, and then maybe someone will have a suggestion for you!

--AC

#260851 - 05/01/06 01:35 PM
pcgeek43505

Quote:

Are you on Heather's diet? Are you doing any stress relief (yoga, hypnotherapy, meditation)? Are you following the basic IBS-C guidelines of IF at every meal, fluids all day long, and daily exercise?

Please tell us what you are doing, and then maybe someone will have a suggestion for you!

--AC

I try to stick to a diet without most of the things that trigger me. Kind of my own little diet. No stress relief other than valiums the doctor gave me. I drink a lot of fluids, but probably not enough and i cant exercise daily because if im sick out of school, im not aloud out of the house, so i end up staying in doing homework. I've been doing really bad the last quarter of school. I have missed atleast 2+ weeks of school just this 9 weeks alone.

--------------------
"We just do what we do. This is the only way we know how to do it." -- David Draiman of DISTURBED

I'm IBS-D, not C or A, but... new
      #261109 - 05/02/06 12:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

here are my thoughts. Hopefully, someone who is actually A or C will have more focused advice for you.

First, constipation is listed as a "less frequent" side effect of Valium, so if your C-ness coincides with starting to take Valium, you could talk to your doctor about trying something else or going off for a while to see if that helps (you shouldn't do this without talking to your doctor or at least your parents).

Maybe the doctor who diagnosed you with C could talk to your parents about how important it is for you to exercise. I can understand your parents not wanting you to go out and whoop it up if you're home sick from school, but your doctor could help them understand how much good a walk could do you. You could also think about learning yoga - it's reported to be good for IBS-C - and is something you can do even if you're housebound.

Beyond that, just the standard EFI suggestions: eliminate the Big 4 Trigger foods and the irritants; base each snack and meal on SF; try an SFS if you haven't already - start low and go slow; drink lots of fluid; if you're tending toward C, then be diligent about getting as much IF as possible - you may have to chop and cook it to make it easier on your tummy.

HTH. Feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#261145 - 05/02/06 04:24 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

If you have a treadmill (or any other exercise machine), you could walk on it, since you're not allowed out of your house. I do this all the time, since I'm also out of school a lot and need the exercise to feel better.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#261184 - 05/02/06 07:12 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Watch out about making your own trigger list, particularly if you head towards C. IF is a trigger *if* you don't eat it with SF, but you need it anyway! Avoiding fruits and veggies is a sure way to end up in C-hell, but following Heather's guidelines will allow you to make them your friends and not your enemies.

--AC, who had fruit salad for dessert tonight!

#261218 - 05/03/06 02:58 AM
pcgeek43505

well, i ended up getting out of the house (pouring rain, thats how i love it) and walked about 3 miles yesterday with the pup. He loved the extra attention and the walk also. I still have not had a BM but last night i made my spaghetti with the 7 herb ragu and ground turkey breast (really easy to work with when putting in spaghetti cause it breaks up easier). It was amazing. Im still not using the restroom and this isnt like me. Im normally IBS-D and im really getting worried. It has been 3 days sine my last SMALL BM. I probably should be going to the Gasto-guy but can't seem to get my mother to make an appointment (she's already mad im missing school). Hopefully soon things will get back to normal.

--------------------

Re: I'm IBS-D, not C or A, but... new
      #261219 - 05/03/06 03:02 AM
pcgeek43505

well, Im normally IBS-D, and i cant stop having BM's, but lately ive been C. Recently i went to the doctor for BACK PAIN, and the problem was i was constipated (which was causing the back pain). They gave me a Rx for this medicine (i think Visocol) which is 40pills and you have to take 3 every 15 minutes until you hit 20, then 6-8hours later, the same thing. I was cleaned out but never actually had a normal bowel movement afterwards. I keep asking my mom to make my Dr. Appt but she tells me to, and im tired of calling them because they dont listen to what i have to say.

--------------------

OMG! Well, no wonder! (m) new
      #261357 - 05/03/06 02:28 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I looked up Visicol and this is a purgative laxative used to clean out the gut completely before a colonscopy. It took me days and days to get over my colonoscopy cleaning. Sheesh!

Okay, enough ranting and raving. My advice would be to go back to the beginning: Go on the Break The Cycle for 2-3 days - strictly. Very boring but it should soothe everything. Then start adding back in safe protein, some fat, and IF carefully. Try an SFS - I like Heather's Acacia - start at a very low dose and go up slowly.

I'm still not clear in my own mind about whether you're actually C (or even A) or whether you're just a D who's either having a weird patch or reacting to drugs (Valium, Visicol). So more questions:

When you saw the doctor for back pain, were you already on the Valium?
If so, for how long?
Did you think you were constipated or did the doctor just decide that was the cause of the back pain?
How long ago did you take the Visicol?

You might want to consider a different doctor. You can look through this thread and see if there's one in your area. If not, you can post where you live and someone may know a good doctor in your area.

Try asking your mother to read IBS explained for people who don't have IBS. Maybe it will help her understand what's going on with you.

As for school, I'm many, many years out of school, but I was under the impression that students with medical issues were supposed to be treated decently and their needs with regard to schoolwork accommodated as much as possible. Try talking with your Guidance Counselor (if schools still have such a thing) or Principal. Be frank about your health problems (hard, I know) and explain your concerns about graduating. If you're bright enough to be graduating a year early, I imagine you're getting the work done, just not putting in the days.

Last, but not least, DON'T DROP OUT. Assuming you're graduating at the end of this year, you can't have more than another couple of months at most. Besides, I'm pretty sure your mother will yell even more if you drop out.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: OMG! Well, no wonder! (m) new
      #261398 - 05/03/06 06:09 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

The "IBS explained for people who don't suffer" is really helpful! I should just carry this around and show it to anyone who asks about it. It might make some difference!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1336

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review