All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Birth Control for IBS
      #260670 - 04/29/06 07:57 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

As some of you may have read before, I was taking BC pills and it has made my IBS worse. Some of you on here have said that BC pills have actually made you feel better. To those of you whom it has helped, what kind of birth control are you using and are you IBS - A, C, or D?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birth Control for IBS new
      #260681 - 04/29/06 10:38 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I have IBS-D with gas, cramps, and all the trimmings. I tried 4 or 5 different BCs and they all helped me. The one that helped IBS the most was Seasonale but that caused other problems with my cycle. Ortho Evra was also great and I didn't have any side effects with that one.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#260685 - 04/29/06 10:52 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I am an IBS-A who takes Lo Ovral. I have been on the same one now for 9 years with no problems. I originally started taking it for ovarian cysts and to keep my cycle regular. Once my IBS was determined I did have problems with severe pains that were worse than any cysts I had experienced...we actually did the ultrasounds to check and see if that was the problem but it was the IBS. I used have every month really terrible pain for a couple of days and then nothing sat well with the tummy except for applesauce and oatmeal. I found that happened when I hada bit more stress; so the doctor just has me take two packets straight, have a cycle and repeat. Since we started that eight months ago things have really improved. Just one day with cramps that Tylenol knocks down and I am fine. I am glad that I didn't switch pills when the option was available because this had worked so much better.

Good luck!

-Michelle

#260697 - 04/30/06 05:47 AM
welshgrl

Reged: 04/27/06
Loc: Michigan

I am IBS-A, with mostly D during my period. In fact, I cannot eat anything but applesauce and graham crackers during that time, and landed in the ER vomiting and dehydrated after last month. Does anyone know why this is? What are some of the ways you have controlled the way your hormones affect your IBS during your periods? (Sorry for the guys out there.)

#260703 - 04/30/06 07:36 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'm IBS-C. For 18 years I was on the pill (Triphasal 28) and was doing fine. Almost a year ago, I switched to the Nuvaring (plastic ring you put in and forget about for 3 weeks, take out for 1 week and then in again) which I like a lot but I wonder if it's messed with my hormones. A few weeks after switching, I was on my honeymoon and started having some stomach probs (mainly nausea). I've been C all my life so I don't think that's changed....but something has my hormones messed up right now and I'm thinking that maybe switching was the reason. Still trying to put it all together.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Jasmin new
      #260707 - 04/30/06 08:11 AM
heavenlee

Reged: 01/13/04

Has anyone taken Jasmin? My dr gave me a couple months worth and I still have not gotten myself to take them. I've never been on BC so I'm afraid it'll screw up my system.

#260715 - 04/30/06 09:07 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I don't do BC pills, but an IUD. It's called Mirena and it has 5 units of progesterone everyday for 5 years. It is expensive, I'll give it that. $350 CAD. But over the last 3.5 years I have only had 3 or 4 periods. I get spotting sometimes. Little to no cramping and I used to be down and out on prescription pain killers for 3-4 days EVERY cycle. I wouldn't change my Mirena for the world!! I love it. NO SIDE AFFECTS! NO PROBLEMS!! NO PERIOD!!!! That and having had one MC and one ectopic and not planning to have kids this was the ideal choice for me. And just think, you don't have to watch for Tampax to be on sale!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#260732 - 04/30/06 12:53 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I was on Ortho-Novum 7-7-7 for ages it seemed, but I switched to Yasmin a couple of years ago because I was getting a lot of breast pain before my period. Switching did cause a bit of instability for a couple of months, but all I had to do was to stop eating as much fat as I do when I'm convinced I'm stable.

I did pretty well on Yasmin, but I wanted to try out menstrual suppression since I feel horrid IBS-wise on my week off the pill and I think 28 years of periods is more than enough. I just started NuvaRing, and I've destabilized slightly, but nothing that eating more applesauce and sourdough bread (and less chocolate and Chocolate Fudge Brownie Soy Dream) won't fix.

Once I've been on NuvaRing for a couple of months, I'll report back....

--AC

Alesse new
      #260751 - 04/30/06 06:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I wouldn't say that my BC has specifically helped my IBS, but I've been on 3 different kinds now, so I can definitely vouch for some being better than others. I'm currently taking Alesse, and I love it. OrthoCyclen and OrthoEvra (the patch) didn't specifically make my IBS worse, but they made me more emotional, which in turn triggered more attacks at certain times of the month.

I'm a D-predominant A.

Hmm.... new
      #260753 - 04/30/06 06:12 PM
atomic rose

Unfortunately, there really isn't any way to "control" your hormones, except to take birth control pills. I know that most of us - myself included, and I've been stable for a good while now - just grit our teeth and bear it when we have hormone-induced attacks. All you can really do is eat safely and try to stay relaxed (thus fending off the emotional trigger for attacks).

Have you talked to your doctor? Vomiting isn't an IBS symptom, and if it's something that happens again, your doctor might have some input on what might help. I had a friend in school who threw up with her period, every month. Her doctor said it was normal.

If you're on birth control, you might want to talk to your doctor about trying a different one - some of them definitely make your period easier. If you're not on birth control, you might want to think about giving it a try. Something low-dose might be all you need to manage your hormones.

Good luck!

Re: Alesse new
      #260760 - 04/30/06 08:15 PM
Gracie

I may talk to my doctor about trying the Alesse. I was taking Ortho-TriCyclen but by the 4th month I found I was starting to get more attacks. A few years ago I tried Diane35 but it also made my IBS worse.

I'm like you, a D-predominant A.

#260761 - 04/30/06 08:20 PM
Gracie

Thank you everyone for all your responses. I think I may give Alesse a try. I wouldn't mind trying the ring, but there have been warnings about high doses being absorbed by your body because it doesn't go through the digestive tract like the pills do and they lose some of the potency there. I'm sure in a few years they'll come out with a lower dose ring.

NuvaRing new
      #260762 - 04/30/06 08:22 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I've been on 4 dif types now, progressing from just whatever the doc said to less and less doses of everything. I think my IBS actually started around when I started BC (hence why I'm taking a break now to see if it helps). I like the NuvaRing the best, which is what I've been on for maybe 2 years. You have really short periods and my IBS was only worse for part of 1 day due to cramps/etc. I didn't get too hormonal with the ring and I'm actually kinda scared now that i'm not taking it. But anything is worth a try if it means the IBS goes away! The ring is also easier to remember since you don't have to get the right hour, just the right day of the right weeks

-becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#260763 - 04/30/06 08:26 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

And cheaper too!! There is no generic yet...

Good luck with whatever you try, and I'll keep everyone posted on if I actually get better after stopping BC.

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Don't worry about the ring! new
      #260838 - 05/01/06 12:32 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

The ring is already ultra-low-dose: it has only about a third of the dosage of common pills like Yasmin. There was a concern about the patch since it had a dosage similar to the pill and the absorption was higher. But I believe that the improved absorption was something like 50%, so with the ring you're still lower than the pill.

From what I've read, the estrogen levels in your blood have been measured to be lower on the ring than on the pill.

--AC, a.k.a. the contraception fairy

Re: Don't worry about the ring! new
      #260867 - 05/01/06 03:17 PM
Gracie

Thanks for the advice! I'll take that into consideration.

Re: Alesse new
      #260995 - 05/02/06 08:36 AM
atomic rose

It might definitely be worth a shot. As far as I know, Alesse is one of the lowest-hormone pills, which I'm sure is why I've done so much better on it than the others I've tried.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3712

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review