All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
trouble with the acacia fiber
      #260313 - 04/26/06 09:01 PM
al

Reged: 03/06/06

hi
i ordered some acacia fiber (actually it sounded so promising i ordered two pouches 1lb each)

well i am having a lot of trouble getting it to dissolve. i add it to the cup first and add cool or cold liquid, stir it with a fork but it still does not dissolve all the way.

i can see strands of it in whatever i put it in, even in yogurt smoothies made in the blender.

am i doing something wrong?

i also mixed up some in water and put that in the fridge to add to hot drinks and after 24 hrs it had a terrible odor, so i threw it out.

has anyone else had these problems? did i get a bad batch or something?

the strands look like something has curdled or gone bad and that puts me off to drinking it
also i can feel these undissolved particles on my tongue and its just not a pleasant experience

i was so hopefull that this would work out for me.
i wish i had bought some in gel caps, now, if they come that way (i didnt notice)

if i cant get the fiber to work out for me, i would like to offer the second pouch to someone at a reduced price (i cant find my invoice so i cant return it to Heather)
i would be happy to get $10 plus actual shipping for it- ship to US only.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me
al

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: trouble with the acacia fiber new
      #260368 - 04/27/06 08:38 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Acacia doesn't like to dissolve in cold liquid, so that explains part of it. When I want to add acacia to something hot or cold, I dissolve it first in a small amount of tepid water, stirring until all the lumps are gone. I then pour that into my hot or cold beverage, and I'm set!

How much acacia are you using per serving? You should probably be starting off with a small dose (1/2 measuring teaspoon), which should be unnoticible in something as big as a smoothie.

--AC

#260393 - 04/27/06 10:49 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Actually, I gave up trying to stir it at all. Personally, I "shake" it. I put my orange juice in a leak proof bottle, add my Acacia to that, and shake it HARD for a little while. If its still 'chunky' at the bottom, I shake it more!! It has really worked for me for about 5 months this way. I never attempt to stir it anymore, however, I'm sure some people can't "shake" some of the liquid they add it to. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for ya though!

Also, if I don't add ENOUGH liquid, it never dissolves completely. I use orange juice in the morning, and water at night. If I don't use enough water, it tastes and smells gross. I ALWAYS make sure I use enough liquid with it now, and put the acacia in second.

#260394 - 04/27/06 10:54 AM
al

Reged: 03/06/06

hi
thanks for the info- i have been using 1 teaspoon, i thought that was the starting dose...?
i will try the shaking method when i can, and what is tepid water? slightly warm?

i did find my reciept so am going to return the second bag.

i discovered some apple pectin capsules that are much easier for me to use and work really well too.
plus i use Benefiber with calcium when it goes on sale.

i like the pre biotics thing about the acacia so will continue to work with it, but two pounds will last me forever and i am just not too thrilled about how hard it is to mix

thanks again
al

#260399 - 04/27/06 11:11 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Have you tried mixing it with food? I mix mine with applesauce and that works well.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#260519 - 04/28/06 06:56 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

mixing it with food is a good way. I typically do it in my water (usually cold). I shake it as well. If I have tea and the water is hot enough I've never had an issue with it dissolving. Another thing I noticed (not sure if this is good or bad) that if I let it sit long enough it dissolves on its own. However, it doesn't bug me to drink those little white floaty things if it doesn't dissolve either. But that is me.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#261275 - 05/03/06 09:03 AM
DeeSingleton

Just remember, it does take a few weeks to start working. I got so frustrated once that it didn't help within a few days, so I quit taking it. Then, after reading other posts on here, I realized I have to deal with it for about a week or two, but it will start to help, and it did! I'm great now, and NEVER miss a dosage!!!

#262855 - 05/11/06 11:00 AM
DeeSingleton

You know, talking about those "little white floaty" things....I don't have a problem drinking them b/c I know they help me stay stable!!!

#262916 - 05/11/06 06:02 PM
betty b.

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: arizona

Hi,
I put Acacia Powder in my oatmeal in the morning. When I put my soymilk in I then put in my Acacia and mix it with a fork. It seems to work really well. I use it at night in my teas. It seems to disolve better in warm liquids or warm soft foods.
betty b.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1031 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review