All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: NOTHING WORKS!! new
      #260482 - 04/27/06 06:28 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

all multivitamins aggravate me too, i have tried liquids, powders etc to see if they'd be easier on my tummy to no avail.
so now i just take my digestive enzymes, probiotics and fibre supplement and call it a day, the ones i wonder about are my calcium levels and b12 since i am vegan, but i want to be tummy stable before i try extra supplements again.
my advice is basically to only take the supplements that you know that you need and avaoid the rest.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try Imodium new
      #260524 - 04/28/06 08:12 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Have you tried Imodium? It stops D. Take 1-2 before eating or for an attack. It's been a lifesaver for me. Most D's on the boards swear by them, and they're available over the counter.

~nelly~

#260540 - 04/28/06 10:14 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Your continued problems can be caused by any one of a number of factors. Just to give you some examples ... some people can't tolerate acacia. I, personally, cannot tolerate vitamins or calcium. Some people may need to examine the source of their food supply and may need to purchase poultry without harmones and antibiotics and switch to some or all organic produce.

IBS is a very complicated thing to pin down and even the tiniest wrong thing, in some cases, can cause continued misery.

I have a very severe case of IBS and I am able to be pain-free about 90 to 95 per cent of the time. I can predict when I will get D because I know exactly what will cause me to have it.

I control my IBS solely through diet. I don't take anything else such as supplements or medication, etc. I lead a pretty normal life with the exception that I can't eat restaurant food and I have to prepare food in advance for work and if I am going somewhere. My wellness is in stark contrast to my younger years when I was beset with IBS attacks and was very ill.

Learning to control your IBS is challenging, but it can be done.

#260593 - 04/28/06 07:09 PM
aevanis

Reged: 04/28/06

I find that calcium gives me very bad cramping.

#260616 - 04/29/06 06:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I am so frustrated right now. I have been on the diet, acaica, calcium, probiotics, vitamins, and hyoscamine for six months. I improved somewhat and now I'm back where I started. The what to eat when you can't eat anything has not helped me for the past week and a half. I eat it for a couple of days and then introduced some plain protein. The diarrhea never ends and the cramping continues to worsen. I don't know what else to do!!!

My advice would be to stop all your supplements and go on the Break The Cycle diet very strictly for 2-3 days. That should ease the diarrhea and cramping. If so, then start adding in other foods very slowly so you can detect any problems. Same with the supplements: add them in slowly (I'd start with the Acacia and go back to a super-low dose) so you can tell if any of them are causing problems.

Imodium and Donnatol are very helpful to me now, but before I got myself within hailing distance of "normal" with the diet, they didn't do much for me - it was like using a traffic cone to stop a freight train.

If following the Break The Cycle diet strictly for 3 days brings you no relief at all, then check to be sure you've had all the necessary diagnostic tests - you may not have IBS.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Try Imodium new
      #260635 - 04/29/06 12:34 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I agree completely (and follow) Nelly's wisdom. Try Imodium.
Make sure it contains no lactose.

Kate, IBS-D.

#270061 - 06/18/06 01:09 PM
deejean

Reged: 01/26/06

I have had ibs since age 7 as I can remember. It has gotten much worse in the last 2 years. I also have hemorrhoids and am iron deficient as in almost rock bottom numbers. I have to take iron pills. I normally am constipated but iron makes me D. I work in a hospital and type records so they understand the constant running most days. One day a month of peace. I am also high anxiety and take something for that. Motrin helps but is constipating and taking it daily worries me. [color:green] [/color] I am doing the fiber but seem to be worse. I have Gerd.Immodium helps but is that safe longterm?

Re: NOTHING WORKS!! *DELETED* new
      #271290 - 06/27/06 07:33 PM
Joan7

Reged: 06/27/06

Post deleted by Heather

#271307 - 06/27/06 08:28 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Edited by Gracie (06/27/06 08:49 PM)

That's not what my math says. (m) new
      #271413 - 06/28/06 12:45 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Try Benefiber. Its less expensive and you get twice as much. It is 100 percent solube fiber.

Benefiber is pure soluble fiber, but I don't calculate it as less expensive than Acacia.

Heather's Acacia is $13.95 for a 1-pound pouch that contains 60 Tablespoons. Each Tablespoon contains 7.5 grams of Soluble Fiber. So you get 450 grams of Soluble Fiber for $13.95 or 3.1 cents per gram of SF.

At DrugStore.com , 60 Tablespoons of Benefiber is $19.95. Each Tablespoon contains 3 grams of Soluble Fiber. So you get 180 grams of Soluble Fiber for $19.95 or 11 cents per gram of SF.

I certainly agree that people who have trouble with Acacia may tolerate another SFS better, but those other SFS are not necessarily cheaper.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review