All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New to Boards and IBS Diet - I have a couple questions.....
      #260067 - 04/25/06 04:06 PM
marley

Reged: 04/21/06
Loc: OH

Hi,
I found this site recently after picking up Eating for IBS at the library...I spent hours the other night looking at the Recipes boards and I have already made a couple of the dinner recipes. I loved them and didn't get sick afterwards! I have had IBS-D since high school, and I'm turning 30 next week so I've been dealing with it for a while now. I have changed my diet just this week to non-dairy (soy products) and the only meat I ever eat is chicken. I have honestly seen good results in just a few days. I am nervous about eating out still and was wondering if anyone could recommend any links to boards on here about eating at restaurants. Also, are there any links about snack foods. I really am so glad I found this site and such helpful information! Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to Boards and IBS Diet - I have a couple questions..... new
      #260088 - 04/25/06 06:38 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

your best bet for finding tons of posts on eating out at restaurants or about snack foods would be to do a search of the boards. Try all of the boards since it is talked about in different areas and no time limits so you can see all the posts. Getting the courage to eat out of the house was very tough for me personally. I would only eat a restaurant that was close to home in case anything did not sit well. Now that my fears have subsided and my anxiety is less I can do it with no problems. Just be sure to be specific with your order and always double check to make sure they don't use anything when cooking that you can't have. I also double check when I return to restuarants because their menus can change frequently along with the person cooking the meals.
Hope this helps, good luck!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#260104 - 04/25/06 10:45 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

When you go to the "diet" board there are a lot of sticky posts listed before the individual posts that have a ton of food ideas to help you get started also. Welcome and glad you are jumping right into the diet! It works!!!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#261689 - 05/04/06 08:34 PM
Harley Kye

Reged: 05/04/06
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I eat the Luna health bars for a quick snack. Also, I eat at Ponderosa a lot and get a baked potato and the grilled shrimp or salmon. Good luck.

--------------------
Harley Kye
IBS - C in Pittsburgh, PA

Eating out ... new
      #261750 - 05/05/06 07:06 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

When I get out with my wife I stay with grilled chicken or fish. Have not had too much trouble when I stay with grilled white meat and small amounts.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#261760 - 05/05/06 07:16 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

There is a sticky at the top of this board with a post all about snack foods that people have found safe. I know w while ago people did post about places to eat out and what was "safe" at different places.

Some general guidelines are to ask for any sauces on the side -- stay away from anything that says "cream" or creamy or anything like it - divide your meal in half and take home the other half -- etc. Try and make your dinner out as much like a meal at home as possible. Pick foods that you know are safe -- try and get a soluble fiber base -- potato -- rice -- french bread... and relax and enjoy.

#262312 - 05/08/06 12:56 PM
marley

Thanks for your helpful replies! I look forward to using this site more....I have been making recipes I find on the recipe board here and I have really been doing well. Thanks again.

Re: New to Boards and IBS Diet - I have a couple questions.....UPDATE new
      #276448 - 07/31/06 12:37 PM
marley

Just wanted to update you all on my progress - I have changed my diet to vegetarian/vegan - i don't eat any red meat or dairy anymore and i no longer drink pop, and i am feeling great. I have also lost 21 pounds which is awesome since i didn't realize i would lose that much weight so quickly by cutting those things out of my diet. thanks for all the help on these boards - the recipes are great!

Edited by marley (08/01/06 01:40 AM)

#276585 - 08/01/06 10:08 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Hey, Marley,

That's great! I, too, had very quick results upon adopting Heather's guidelines... and just as quickly had a relapse when I ate something I was pretty sure in advance I shouldn't have. I'm still working on a long list of foods to see if I can eat them ok... LOL, let's just say it's been an adventure. The only thing I know to do at restaurants is to be careful about understanding what's in a food and how it's prepared. Some restaurants mark their menu items with "heart-healthy" designations... I have found those to be fairly safe so far (those tend to be low in fat, fat being one of my major triggers)... but if there is any question about what's in something, don't be afraid to ask your server. I will have another opportunity to experiment on Wednesday, I have a business lunch at a barbecue restaurant! Should be interesting, to say the least.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: New to Boards and IBS Diet - I have a couple questions... (sorry, got long).. new
      #277010 - 08/03/06 03:53 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Ugh, I have to start this post all over again, b/c I hit some random keys that took me back and I lost everything I wrote.

Welcome to the boards and to the site Marley! I'm Sommer, IBS-C, pain, cramping mostly and sometimes nausea. I also have a huge butt-load (pun intended - laughter is good medicine) of other physical, emotional, and mental issues that I'm having trouble getting resolved. I've got really messed up chronic insomnia too. I'm glad you found us, not that I'm glad you have IBS, but I'm glad to know you're finding solace in the information you've read and the food you're trying. It's a long process sometimes, and you'll probably still have your bad days before you become stable. A good companion, must-have book is Heather's "IBS, The First Year" which talks all about how to do just that - start stabalizing and learning how to listen to your body, how and what to eat and when. There are also tips on how to deal with family, friends, socializing, restaurants, vacations and includes some sample menus and recipes. There's much more too. Both books kind of congeal in my mind so sorry if I'm mixing the info up between the two. But I know there's info about trigger foods, IF and SF, etc.

I've learned so much from Heather, her website, and the tons of people on the boards. Everyone is really helpful, fun to talk to, friendly, and understanding. Even though all of us have a few differences in how our bodies deal with IBS in all its forms, I think everyone brings something to the table. The IBS diet is about trial and error for awhile, maybe quite awhile and learning what works best for you and eventually, it becomes almost an innate part of you.

The restaurant tip I picked up from Heather's books was the importance of eating your insoluables at the end of your meal. Most restaurants offer salads while your entree is cooked. Ask the server to bring it to you after your main dish.

My own tips, ask about the ingredients and how your food will be prepared, and if it seems too risky for your tummy, order something safer, or ask if that dish can be altered such as less oil or butter, grilled instead of fried. Anything that has "cream" in the description almost definitely means high fat and dairy. Avoid egg noodles, ask them to substitute another pasta instead. Most restaurants have Egg Beaters and some have veggie burgers, both of which are pretty good. Explain to your server why you're being so picky; such as "I have a food allergy" or however you feel comfortable explaining it. It's important to make sure they and the chef understand how important and necessary it is. If they won't help you or are rude about your polite requests and explanation, they don't belong in customer service imho and don't deserve your patronage. Restaurants have other diet foods available, the IBS diet is just another diet to manage an incurable disease. And it's healthier than Atkin's, too.

If you get gassy easily, tote along a bottle of Beano, it works well for me so far and I've only used it about 4 times in the last few days. Generic Gas-X is another OTC gas reliever that you can take after meals or at bedtime. This also made a difference for me. Get some peppermint Altoids and dissolve one in a glass of water with no ice (cold stuff on an empty stomach can cause spasms), or ask for a cup of hot water and make your own peppermint tea to sip after you eat. Peppermint also aids in digestion in general, even if you're not an IBS sufferer. If the restaurant has teas, make sure they don't have caffeine. I know it's nerve-wracking at first trying to find something you can eat at a restaurant that's as safe as possible, but try not to stress out too much, stress and anxiety can affect IBS. (Okay, a couple snippets in this were from the board or from Heather's books), but most of them I learned myself or just kind of made sense. Oh, yeah, if the restaurant serves bread while you wait, ask for white, sourdough, or french bread and either limit the amount of butter you spread on the bread, or eat it plain. No need to stuff yourself either; that is drink plenty of not-too-cold water or another drink that's safe and that you like and the bread will start a good soluable fiber base. Don't wait until you feel full before you stop. Stop eating your main meal before you feel full OR have them put half your main meal into a to-go box so that you're not tempted to overeat. Overeating can be rough on the tummy, not just on the waistline. :P If you order a baked potato, either eat it w/no butter or sour cream, but ask for chives or whatever seasoning you prefer. If you do want/use butter, ask for it on the side. No sour cream.

For snacks, I believe there is a "sticky post" near the top of the of page 1 that have been compiled. I haven't looked at it in a long time though, so I could be remembering wrong. Anyway, sorry to leave ya hanging there, but I should probably get back to "work". I wish you good luck and take care.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1606

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review