All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raw Meats
      #260050 - 04/25/06 01:39 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I have looked everywhere on this site to see if eating raw meats is safe? No one really gives a straight question or answer. Is raw seafood or sushi safe for IBS-C people? How about plain raw veggies or must they be steamed in some way?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raw Meats new
      #260054 - 04/25/06 02:34 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

For me, raw veggies are a no-no! I don't eat raw sushi so I can't answer that one. I've had raw oysters and clams in the past and they didn't seem to bother me but I cook everything now and I never eat them when I'm having bad days so I can't give you a straight answer on that one. The reason it may seem like you're not getting straight answers on some things is because people can really only say what works for them. And since IBS is so unique to everyone no one can say that something definately will or will not hurt you. We all have to trial and error on some things.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#260080 - 04/25/06 05:39 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

I actually tried sushi once, but I only ate half of a piece or something? Anyways, it was just wrapped in rice or something, and I seemed to do okay with it. I only had a small portion so maybe that's why, but ..I don't know, maybe sushi is okay, for me at least.

#260087 - 04/25/06 06:32 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I don't eat raw meat so I can't answer that one for you but I know I can't do raw veggies. I cook all of mine before I eat them.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#260162 - 04/26/06 10:35 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Well, red meat is a bad idea if you have IBS, so that's off the table.

I do indulge in sushi (spicy tuna or salmon - yum!), but I generally get one raw roll and one cooked (eel) or veggie roll. I'm a bit of a wimp, but it seems the best balance for me. I've never had any problem with this, or with seared tuna (which is pretty much raw) in a restaurant or at home.

I'm not a shellfish eater, so I can't speak to that.

--AC (suddenly hungry for unagi and shitaake maki)

Raw can be safe new
      #260225 - 04/26/06 02:00 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

As mentioned, red meats aren't safe no matter how you have them. I would never recommend eating poultry raw, either, heh.

But sushi agrees with me just fine - as long as it's a clean and reputable sushi bar, it's a lot healthier (lower in fat!) than the cooked fish that a lot of restaurants serve. I also find that the raw vegetables are fine - the rice in sushi is enough to cushion them.

Other than sushi, I also eat raw fruits and vegetables every single day - apples, salads, etc. Just be sure to introduce raw IF foods slowly, and eat some SF to cushion them. If you can handle raw veggies, DEFINITELY indulge as often as you safely can!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 220 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 665

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review