All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New and Frustrated
      #259989 - 04/25/06 07:34 AM
nanashr

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: Ohio

Hi All! I have been searching and reading this site for about 1 or 2 months. I was told I had IBS about 5 years ago, but my symptoms haven't been consistant and bad until about 8 months ago. I bought Heather's IBS book and I have just started on her Fiber about 4 days ago.

I am getting a little frustrated with this whole thing. I seem to have my major D attacks in the evening. All day I will feel good and then I will get hit after work. I have been trying to watch what I eat and I have also just started taking a probiotic (Jarro-Dophilus + FOS) just a couple days ago. I know I am supposed to gradually increase SF, but how gradually?

I feel like this whole thing is preventing doing anything without having a lot of anxieties, and I feel bad for my boyfriend having to deal with my frequent bathroom runs. Yesterday after work he wanted to run out for some things, and within the 1 and 1/2 hours of being out, I think I had to run to different bathrooms about 4 or 5 time. Very Frustrating. I know I haven't been on this long, but I am getting a little depressed and frustrated with everything!!

Thanks for letting me vent!
Nan

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy - IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New and Frustrated new
      #259997 - 04/25/06 07:56 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Read through the dietary guidelines. It will show you how to get started.
Start with soluble fibre with every meal, snack. Slowly incorporate insolubles that are cook, peeled, mashed, pureed.

With diarrhea, imodium is immensely helpful to get your symptoms under control when you need to - like when at work.

Also, get on a soluble fibre supplement ASAP. Acacia, equalactin, benefiber, citrucel, etc.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I was where you are new
      #260023 - 04/25/06 10:32 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

and it just takes time. Hansolo has good advice. There is a posting at the top of this board about fiber and how to increase it gradually. IBS is unique to everyone. Heather diet is a wonderful guideline but you'll most likely find that your own diet will vary in some ways. But all of the triggers should be avoided. Try hot teas (peppermint and fennel) and I recommend the acacia fiber. Hypnosis worked wonders for me. Yoga helps. The most important thing is to not give up. Some people take longer than others to stabilize. Some people take days where as others can take a couple years. But it will happen.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: I was where you are new
      #260027 - 04/25/06 10:56 AM
nanashr

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: Ohio

Thanks! I am taking acacia fiber...I will just have to give it time. I just get frustrated when I feel like I am getting stable and then all of the sudden for no reason I slide back again.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy - IBS-D

Re: I was where you are new
      #260053 - 04/25/06 02:30 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

That happens to almost everyone. There is a section in Heather's book, Eating for IBS, called What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything, and I think that there are postings with the same info on this site. Whenever I have bad flare-ups I stick to breads, rices and pastas and drink lots and lots of water. Hypno works very well for me. Whenever I use it, my flare-ups stop overnight. It's amazing how effective it is for me.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3697 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review