All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Do you clench your teeth in your sleep? new
      #259189 - 04/20/06 08:38 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I do when I'm majorly stressed and it gives me a horrible headache when I awake.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I do clench my teeth.... new
      #259196 - 04/20/06 08:51 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

And so this year I got a mouthguard, because I thought it was causing my headaches. And it did seem to reduce the headaches for a while, but now not so much. I know that I am clenching/grinding into the mouthguard because the underside of it is getting all worn down.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

What kind of mouthguard? new
      #259198 - 04/20/06 09:05 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

One you bought from a store, or one made for your teeth? I have that problem (not so much anymore though) and I got one custom made by the dentist (not very expensive) and it helped alot. I actually haven't used it in years but keep it around just in case. When I wear mine, I basically CAN'T grind my teeth or clench my jaw---just isn't possible. (Tension headaches are the worst, especially because you feel like you could prevent them.)

--------------------

Also... new
      #259199 - 04/20/06 09:07 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

just read your other post---chiropractor might work too if you can save the money, mine said my neck problems were causing headaches for me. My insurance didn't cover adjustments though so I paid for those for a while, and have been debating whether or not to go back.

--------------------

Re: Any advice for tension headaches? new
      #259201 - 04/20/06 09:08 AM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

Renee (and others), all I can say is ICE! Ice works wonders for headaches. I get both tension headaches and migraines and ice helps both. I try not to medicate the headaches b/c it can just lead to rebound headaches and creates a vicious cycle.

I saw someone mention chocolate, I'd test that out with small portions b/c chocolate for some people works good to fight headaches and some people it can contribute or worsen headaches.

Also, peppermint oil on the temples helps to relieve tension headaches on me. What I do when I get tension headaches is this:

First, I rub some peppermint oil into my temples

Second, after the pepermint oil, I heat up the tub and soak in the tub (or shower) while the peppermint oil works its magic. This helps relax muscles that can tense up B/C you have a tension headache, which can in turn prolong a tension headache and create a vicious cycle that way. I sometimes use lavendar or chamomille scented bath oil or bubble bath or burn a candle in those scents as they help me relax.

Third: after the bath, I get an ice pack and lay down with the pack wrapped around my head and on my temples. The ice pack I have is meant for tension headaches and picked it up at the drug store out here called Eckerds. It's a long ice pack, about the lenth of the circumfrence of an average sized head, and comes with a blue sleeve that you can velcro closed around your head. I'm not sure about the cost, but it must not have been too bad if I could afford it, and actually I have 2, 1 at home, 1 at work.

Good luck!

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

Re: Also... new
      #259203 - 04/20/06 09:10 AM
renee21

Thanks for your input. My mouthguard is one fitted for me from the dentist, I manage to bite into it anyway...maybe I should take it back! I am definitely going to look into alternative treatments. Right now I'm unemployed but hopefully that will change and I will have some money to spend on it. I think probably doing more yoga will help too.

--------------------

#259207 - 04/20/06 09:13 AM
renee21

this sounds like a great plan. I actually have this oil blend that I got from Aveda years ago that you are supposed to put on your temples for headache - it is definitely minty. And I am buying an ice pack TODAY!!

--------------------

#259225 - 04/20/06 10:12 AM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

great and look for the long kind of resusable ice packs that you can wrap around your head, it's great b/c it relaxes ALL the nerves and not just the ones creating the headache.

Also, I wanted to mention that the dr. who prescribed coffee must not have been a neurologist b/c coffee (and chocolate, caffeine in general) is a HUGE trigger for most people. It doesn't bother me and actually tends to help some, but it's a trigger for most, so unless you know it's not for you, I'd be cautious with the caffeine, not only for the IBS, but for making your headache worse.

The main thing to remember with tension headaches is that your whole body tends to get tense as well and the headache won't go away until your body untenses. I'm not guarenteeing that it will completely go away with my 3 steps, but it usually gets much better.

Another thing to look at for cause is your sleep. I tend to get them when I'm sleep deprived. I don't mean when I have insomnia and got 2 hours of sleep, but even just 6 hours instead of my usual 7 can trigger them. A lot of times when I use the ice pack on my head I take a short nap, like 1/2 an hour (I forgot to mention that).

Good luck!

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

It's a good bet I do new
      #259241 - 04/20/06 11:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

As you know by now, I have this thing with anxiety and stress. So, I could be clenching my jaw while sleeping. I'll to try and be more conscious of it. It's hard to tell when you are asleep.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Chalk It Up To Chocolate!
      #259270 - 04/20/06 01:38 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03

Chocolate is a major trigger for migraine headaches. If I were to eat chocolate, no matter how small of a quantity, I would have a headache within hours.

Please stay away from the chocolate and see if your headaches get better. Here is a good link to migraine triggers: www.uhs.berkeley.edu/home/healthtopics/pdf/triggers.pdf

By the way, chocolate isn't good for IBS either!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4812 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 44929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review