All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Full and Hungry at the same time???
      #258754 - 04/18/06 03:06 PM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

I was wondering if anybody else feels this way:

I eat, even a small meal, and feel full - sometimes even overfull - and then begin to feel very hungry again in about an hour, maybe two. But my stomach, not my gut area, still feels very full. So, I don't want to eat again yet because I feel like I will burst or barf (sorry!) Sometimes, I begin to have severe bloat and gas which lasts for hours and then I go to the bathroom - where I hang out forever (my friend calls it 'roosting'). Sometimes I feel immediately better after using the bathroom, but then I am RAGINGLY hungry as if I haven't eaten ALL day. So, of course, I get major cramps and a headache and the nausea comes back, and sometimes the bloat too. So I try to eat...and the cycle starts over. I go through periods where I get headaches almost like clockwork about 2 hours after I eat. I don't have high blood pressure either.

I'm definitely beginning to fear eating anything other than plain white bread, rice, or pasta with bananas and rice milk and mangoes. But I am always hungry and end up going to the bathroom 800 times a day and never having a really good BM.

I've tried the SF powders. I've done the enzymes. I've done the probiotics. I've added and removed SF AND IF foods. I've been working at this since Feb 1 and feel like all that I do is struggle and still live day to day. I'm tired of having to think 'Gee if I pack these foods for my lunch, for tomorrow, will I be "ok" or just sick all day? Guess we'll see what happens.'

I feel like my nutrition is suffering.

I guess that I am an IBS-A, with predominant C. But as soon as I start adding a little IF here and there, I alternate viciously, then become a D; then go right back to being C. I can have several BM's a day. But they are just, what do people call it, 'rabbit or sheep-like?' Hardly satisfying and I'm ALWAYS in the bathroom because I just always seem to need to go.

I found that lots of fruits, veggies and grains actually give me good, regular BM's but then I end up with terrible, terrible bloat, nausea and CONSTANT gas. So, I can go to the bathroom fine, but feel just as bad as if I can't - just with different symptoms.

Any advice, suggestions or just plain support would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for letting me ramble. I know this is a long post.

Cheers!
Krista
IBS-A (I think!)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Full and Hungry at the same time??? new
      #258762 - 04/18/06 04:57 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

OMG... I feel full/hungry at the same time all the time! I don't even think my body knows how to register normal hunger signals anymore. I can be soooo hungry, but like you SO FULL feeling like I just ate the Taj Mahal. Other times, I know I'm not truly hungry, but my body wants me to eat b/c that helps my stomach move along... so when things get really stuck, I have to eat a lot really fast to sort of jerk it into motion. But I TOTALLY get the full/hungry all at once. UGH.. this stupid disorder. Our bodies are so outta whack.

#258766 - 04/18/06 05:04 PM
taroh73

I've tried the SF powders. I've done the enzymes. I've done the probiotics. I've added and removed SF AND IF foods. I've been working at this since Feb 1 and feel like all that I do is struggle and still live day to day. I'm tired of having to think 'Gee if I pack these foods for my lunch, for tomorrow, will I be "ok" or just sick all day? Guess we'll see what happens.'

This is me to a T. I can at least tell you you aren't alone! I tweak my diet on a daily basis & never know what I can or cannot eat. I don't know if you tried yet... but to get stable, you might just try the white stuff for a few days (pasta, taters, white bread). I have found it does help- but no, it isn't healthy long term. It's a struggle.

I hope you get relief soon... I know it is so hard, but there is a lot of support here, so keep trying!

Kind of similar new
      #258767 - 04/18/06 05:07 PM
karabear

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hi,

Although I don't have exactly the same symptoms you do, I have experienced similar ones.

I have found that I get this extreme gnawing hunger, where I feel like I haven't eaten in days (even though I've been eating regular meals). Along with that I also feel like I am going to vomit if I don't get some food in me asap. Usually I try to eat something like bread to try and kill the nausea. Sometimes it helps and other times I just have to wait for the sensation to pass.

I've been trying to track when this happens and it's only after I've eaten something with fructose (fruits or foods sweetened with fructose) or HFCS. These foods also make me go with very loose stools / diarrhea (when I'm normally ibs-c). Before I have to use the restroom I have extremely bad bloating (I can gain 5 pounds of bloat and increase 3" in my waist to where I feel like I will pop) plus super stinky gas.

Usually I have this happen the morning after I've eaten these fructose / HFCS containing foods the previous day.

I also struggle with what to pack for lunch each day because I never know how I'll feel. I feel like a "Girl Scout" packing different items for different scenarios on if I feel good I'll eat this...and if I feel bad I'll eat rice, bread... Needless to say my lunch box (it's big!) is always packed with tons of food so I'll never be stuck eating something "normal" if I suddenlly turn up feeling sick.

So, essentially, I am wondering if I'm fructose intolerant. I hope I can get tested for this soon. Have you considered this?

Have you tracked which fruits/veggies/grains make you go and give you bloat/gas? Do you have the full/hunger cycle all the time or is it only after eating certain foods? Have you been careful with the SF/IF ratio when eating the fruits/veg/grain?

Maybe someone else has better advice?

Good luck and let me know if you figure anything out.

--------------------
Kara

Re: Kind of similar new
      #258779 - 04/18/06 05:36 PM
taroh73

Man, if the general population only knew what we go through like a bunch of retards trying to solve "the great lunch debacle". HA HA. I also get VERY naseous if I don't eat, and have to hurry up & get something in my stomach or I feel like i'll barf. I have kept many food diaries & have never been able to find anything consistently other than this: sugar is the ONLY thing that doesn't upset my tummy at all. IF is the greatest culprit, but sugar is the easiest thing to eat. Just ask my thighs

#258900 - 04/19/06 08:46 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

You know...I was just thinking these things this morning. Odd...I will often be really full and hungry at the same time. Weird...

Also, I get really hungry after an hour of eating things like fruits and veggies. I have a friend who feels full and satisfied when she eats them. I don't. Frustrating.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Re: Full and Hungry at the same time??? UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE new
      #258958 - 04/19/06 11:35 AM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

Just got back from my Dr's Appt.

He changed my heartburn med. from Ranitidine (aka Zantac) to Omeprazole (aka Prilosec). They are two diff. kinds of drugs that work on stomach acid in diff. ways. Not the same, in case you didn't know. I am also adding a natural… ahem … sodium based 'softener' to my diet. This will hopefully make 'having to go' easier and more healthful. He did not want me to up my fiber intake by adding more grain, psyllium, veg, etc. At least not for now. He wants to get my most worrisome symptoms treated first (feeling of 'overfullness,' bloat, gas, 'trapped wind,' regurgitation, nausea, etc.) as my heartburn may be exacerbating my IBS. He's hoping that by stabilizing my stomach, my gut will stabilize more and make me more comfortable to want to get out an exercise; since there are so many times that I have energy and want to do some form of exercise but my stomach feels nasty and like I might throw up if I even exert myself a little bit. And we all know that exercising, even a little, is good for us. He even stated that exercise is extremely beneficial for constipation because it gets the blood moving and mobilizes your guts because you are either 'jiggling' them (jogging, horseback riding, walking, etc.) or just stretching them (yoga, gardening (twisting, bending)), etc.

He also said that it's ok to continue to eat (A LOT) more fruits than vegetables if they agree with my IBS better than the veg. I need to incorporate as many veg as possible and it doesn't seem to matter which kind, as long as I'm eating them and, again, as much as my IBS will tolerate without giving me crazy gas and/or bloat. I keep a 'Shopping List' with all the foods I can eat and some that I try from time to time in small quantities and the Doc said, looking at the FRUITS section compared to the VEG, "If you can eat the majority of these every week, you are getting more fruits and veg than 95% of Americans!" And he laughed. THAT, alone, made me feel like I had accomplished A LOT.

He was also happy that I keep notes about my eating habits and wants me to continue doing this. I go in on 05/31 for a check-up and we will reevaluate then, if we need to.

I also bought some 125mg Simethicone chewables to pop after I have anything fruit, veg, or legume oriented to see if this makes a difference.

I too have problems with fructose so I just make sure I eat my fruits with a main (grain based) dish, always last (just like salads) and avoid juices like the plague.

I will keep everybody posted. I will also start reporting in to the Diet and Lifestyles section to get help with diff. foods I might want to try or give suggestion on.

Thanks again!
Cheers!!

Thanks for the update! new
      #259343 - 04/20/06 07:42 PM
karabear

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Houston, Texas

Thanks for taking the time to update us!

That's great you've got some things to try to improve the situation, plus a doc who seems so willing to work with you!

I agree about the heartburn aggravating the ibs. I definitely find this is true, plus the wanting to workout but feeling like you'll throw up if you do. Yuck!

I hope things improve for you!

--------------------
Kara

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 504 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2727

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review