All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nexium...any luck?
      #257943 - 04/12/06 06:29 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I finally got to the dr. today and you know what he said? He said, "well, it could be gastritis, hiatal hernia, or GERD. They're all treated the same way so... I don't think we'll have to do an Xray or Endoscopy." and then he gave me a prescription for Nexium.

I dunno...I feel a little jipped. I guess I'd just like to know what's wrong with me. I'm not sure why a diagnosis is so important but, I guess it is.

Also, I did a search here for Nexium here and didn't look like too many people are fond of it. Is it working for anyone?

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nexium...any luck? new
      #257952 - 04/12/06 08:46 PM
erinb_77

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Wow ... my doctor did the same thing today!! I don't know much about Nexium either, so if anyone here has tried it I would love to hear from you.

The weird thing for me is that I haven't had many upper GI problems for a long time. I have been on Losec for 10 years and that keeps the acidity under control thus helping the lower GI and IBS issues.

Yesterday morning I got up and made made oatmeal for breakfast and holy cow it was like I was eating glass. The pain through the esophagus right down to the stomach was so intense that I was doubled over. Even liquids hurt. So I went to the doctor and he gave me the Nexium.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

--------------------
Erin

Re: Nexium and burning tongue new
      #257956 - 04/12/06 09:43 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I got my Nexium from my ENT last year, I went in with a burning tongue, he said it was from the acid. I didn't take them for months and months just hoping it would go away and it did not. Now I take them every day, and I can see that they are helping. My tongue doesn't burn as much, considering what I eat. Hope it helps you.

#257965 - 04/13/06 03:00 AM
Flipada

I'm not having so much the acid problem as achy pain in my chest under my sternum that gets worse through the day. The pressure of my bra by 3pm is so bad that I can't wait to get home and take it off. I have some acid...some heartburn but not terrible. And I burp ALL the time!

--------------------
**Lauren**

Its helped me new
      #257971 - 04/13/06 05:04 AM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

Nexium has been wonderful too me. It is pretty benign, as far as medication is concerned, for most people to take daily. I used to have a lot of acid reflux but that has pretty much stopped. That, along with everything else I have done, have really settled my stomach down. Currently I only take the Nexium as needed now. I personally have never had any side effects with it, but that is just me.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

#258028 - 04/13/06 10:54 AM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

2 things...

1. Definitely take the Nexium! Nexium not only helps prevent future GERD episodes, it actually helps to repair damage in your esphogaul lining from the GERD. I have to take 2 a day my GERD is so bad.

2. If you can afford it, go to another doctor and get that endoscopy done! You shouldn't have problems with insurance to pay their share. I think it would be a good idea to have that done by a gastroenterologist or internal medicine dr. specializing in gastroenterelogy. It will tell you if there has been any damage or not, and if so, after taking the Nexium, it can help repair it. But I think you need to go to another Dr., one who will take the time to find out what is wrong rather than just saying "I don't know, but take this."

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

#258096 - 04/13/06 04:26 PM
Flipada

Thanks for the advice. I started with Nexium today. Dr. said to take it for 6-8 weeks and then when needed. I'm guessing it'll take awhile to feel results but I'm hoping it'll be soon.

I've thought about going to another dr. He's really good but I think is getting too busy. He's got lots of patients. Maybe I'll take your advice and seek out a gastroenterologist. I have pretty good insurance now so I might just take advantage of it.

--------------------
**Lauren**

#258112 - 04/13/06 06:05 PM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

I can't imagine why he'd say to take it as needed. It's not meant to be a treatment for gasto problems when they occur. It's a preventative and a pretty good one at that, so you need to take it on a regular basis. If you take it in the middle of an attack, it's not going to do much b/c that's not what it does. It's not like Maalox or Pepto bismol where you take it during an attack. I think of it kind of like my allergy medicine. I have seasonal allergies and I know if I don't take my medicine daily during that time frame, I'll have sneezing, itchy eyes, etc. If I only take once I feel those symptoms it might help diminish them, but it might not. If I take it daily every morning when I get up, I know I won't have to even deal with them because it prevents them. Make sense? What strength did he prescribe?

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

#258183 - 04/14/06 09:09 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I take Nexium and it REALLY works for me. I usually take it everyday, but sometimes I don't need to anymore. My heartburn is pretty much gone because of it. Hope this helps!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2019

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review