All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Years of "remission" - than WORSE than before??! Normal?
      #256931 - 04/07/06 11:23 AM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Hey guys,

I'm new to the message boards, but not totally new to the IBS "circuit". BUT, what I'm experiencing now is new to me - so wanted someone's take who has been dealing with IBS longer than me.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with IBS-C for lack of anything else (had colonoscopy, ab ultrasound, but had less-than-fab doctors). Everything was normal (appetite, bowels - save for the C, but no pain), except for when I ate. I'd get horrible burning pain for about hour & a half after a meal, then it'd be gone & I'd be back to normal. I had a normal appetite & everything. Started going to chiropractor, symptoms went away & have remained gone for YEARS now.

Thru those years, I was able to eat anything, drink my coffee drinks from Starbucks (2 a day, even on empty stomach in morning) - no probs w/ cramping, D, nothing.

Then all of a sudden this summer, body starts freaking out a little when my hormones would get riled up each month - started with a little D, but again, it would go away. Could still eat whatever & drink the coffee - no constant long-term probs.

NOW, all of a sudden out of nowhere (?) I have alternating D & C, doesn't correspond to hormones really anymore, no appetite (I've lost 10+ pounds in a month since I don't have appetite and/or don't want to eat & suffer)...it's odd. Before the IBS symptoms were bothersome at times, but not constant & certainly didn't completely railroad my life. But I'm REALLY hurting now & the weight loss freaks me out quite a bit (but it's explained - I just didn't eat).

For a while, honestly, the Starbucks coffee drinks were ALL that I could have with no symptoms, plus they kept me going when I would be up all night feeling sick or having acid reflux.

Has anyone else had a long period of "remission" then IBS flare-up (one that lasts & lasts) with new, more disturbing symptoms?? Seriously - I'd take C & my occasional after-meal pain again ANYTIME over what I have now. I can't figure out what exactly brought me back to where I'm at now.

I guess I just want to know that someone else's body has acted in a seemingly random & unexplainable way too. Life was manageable back when I was first diagnosed. Today, it's SUPER hard. Sucks!!

I'm going to try the IBS diet - and I'm also going to a new Dr. who has ordered small-bowel X-rays, upper endoscopy, Abdominal CT scan...the works...so we know for sure that it is IBS & not something else.

This is all really freaky to me - never thought I'd be here...

Thanks for reading, and (maybe) responding!

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Years of "remission" - than WORSE than before??! Normal? new
      #256942 - 04/07/06 12:15 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Been there too. I had C for a while, but once I got on a soluble fiber supplent, it went into remission for 12 yrs. Ate & drank anything I wanted for the most part. Had a few D attacks from nerves,& foods I didn't know were bad for me. Then, all of a sudden, I got C. I felt the nasea coming on just before it really hit. It was like the pills just stopped working one day. So, back in I went for the tests, nothing wrong, just had to learn how to "poop" again. Well, since then I've discovered this website, & the diet. Was doing well up until late, back to C. Maybe I need to be more stirct with my diet.
Stess is a major trigger too. How's your water intake? There tons of info on this site. Read all you can & welcome to the boards!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Yup, that's exactly how mine goes.... new
      #257058 - 04/07/06 09:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've had IBS for 19 years. In that time, I've had 3 REALLY bad flares, where I've been completely gut-unstable and utterly miserable for about a year each time. The in-between times (where I am now, incidentally), I've been symptom-free and living like a normal person.

And yes, my symptoms have changed over the years, but nothing drastic has happened. For example, I switched from D to A (alternating)... but I haven't had any red-flag symptoms like bleeding.

All in all, my recent doctors haven't been at all concerned about it - the length of time I've had these symptoms points to IBS and nothing more serious, and so I've just accepted that this cycle is just the way my IBS is, as much as that sucks. So I wouldn't say that what you're experiencing is beyond normal, but if you have ANY doubts in your diagnosis at all, it's best to bring it up with your doctor.

Re: Yup, that's exactly how mine goes.... new
      #257436 - 04/10/06 03:29 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

So - did you guys ever have the C "resolve" in D temporarily, then "flip" right back to C? Is this "normal" too?

I can work with C. It's what I've had (sorta) all my life - it's what I know. The D disturbs me tho...I have this weird psychotic fear about getting the stomach flu/food poisoning & I of course equate D with that. Which just freaks me out when it happens. I'm such a wuss!!!! And/or just crazy.

I'll get used to this, if this is my new "normal". But I'm still a little tweaked over the new symptoms.

Thanks so much for all your input. I love it!

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Definitely.. new
      #257534 - 04/11/06 07:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I was unstable for awhile, then stable for a few years.. then unstable for about a year.. had some major invasive tests by a doc who was an ass and soon thereaftr went into a stable period.. so ignored it and then 3 years from the tests later it had come back full vengeance.. since then its let up some, but been a constant in my life if I don't eat right or get too stressed out..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Yup, that's exactly how mine goes.... new
      #257541 - 04/11/06 07:42 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oh yeah, I had more and more D attacks as time went on, and that's really what scared me enough to talk to my doctor. My C was normal to me, and it just didn't seem interesting enough to bring up!

The good news is that with Heather's diet (which does mean lots of fruits and veggies) and acacia and peppermint tea and hypno and a bunch of other things, the D attacks are rare now and the C is gone for the first time in my life. The hypno, especially, has really reduced the D frequency and severity/panic by 95%.

--AC

Yes. new
      #257551 - 04/11/06 08:31 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I enjoyed a bit over 8 years of IBS freedom between my initial diagnosis and my current bout. I went from D to C during that time and now, even alternate between the two depending on my stress level. It is taking me longer to stabilize, but I'm coming around. This site has been a godsend! I hope you will stick around and enjoy the support and freindship. I hope you are feeling better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

PS new
      #257553 - 04/11/06 08:32 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

If your present symptoms are new and different, I'd still see a good doc to make sure it was still IBS. There are a lot of nastier things that mimic our symptoms that need to be ruled out.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2970 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3029

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review