All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question for those with hiatal hernia
      #256356 - 04/04/06 08:04 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hi all. I did a search and read a lot. I noticed that there are lots of you out there with hiatal hernias. I don't know for sure that I have one but my DH who teaches anatomy and physiology and my mom that has one herself are pretty sure I do.

I'm going to make an appt. with dr. but wanted to know what y'all thought. I don't have terrible heartburn. I get it maybe once a week and not bad. But, just under my ribs in the center, is very tender and a week ago when I was so terribly achy from my period, it was even worse. It's more sensitive in the evening and I need to take my bra off to take the pressure off. It's not an awful pain but is uncomfortable. My mom said that's how hers started and that it gradually got worse. She's been taking Prilosec for a long time and it works for her. I also burp a lot. Not deep burps but I always feel like I have trapped air and up it comes. Even in the morning...

Any ideas? Advice? What drugs work for you? How you were diagnosed, what symptoms you have/had when you first found out?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated! Just trying to get a handle on this all.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question for those with hiatal hernia new
      #256417 - 04/05/06 06:27 AM
karabear

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Houston, Texas

I found out I had a hiatal hernia when I was having an endoscopy done as part of my ibs diagnosis. I didn't realize I even had it. But my mom also has one, so they think I was born with it. Such luck!

I just now started experiencing symptoms. First it was almost constant nausea. Now I do get occasional burning, but mine is more below my sternum. I also notice sometimes that I feel like I can't breathe as deeply as I need to when I exercise.

I currently don't take any medications. I hope I can control it as long as possible through diet (still working on this!). My mom is on Nexium.

Granted, I'm no doc, but your symptoms do seem to match those listed on web sites about hiatal hernias. And especially since your mom has one....

See if you can get an endoscopy done. That will tell you for sure if you have one or not. Good luck!

Keep us posted.

--------------------
Kara

#256556 - 04/05/06 03:03 PM
Flipada

Is the endoscopy where they put the scope down your throat or something else? I didn't know how they tested for that. I thought my mom had said Xray but then again, it was a long time ago.

Anyone else? What do you do for that weird achy pain???

--------------------
**Lauren**

#256559 - 04/05/06 03:22 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi I was disgnosed with Hiatal Hernia and GERD. This was a few years ago maybe 6? I take a prescription Ranitidine. I cannot wear anything tight around my chest, my bra is worn outdoors only because most of the time I cannot stand having it on. I burp allllllooot still. I take simethicone for trapped gas and for the burping as well and it seems to help get the burps out and over with
My biggest problem is really bad acid reflux and constant mucous (yummy, sorry maybe TMI) in my throat. Wow I sound like one attractive girl after this post
I hope you get it under control, it is very hard to eat, swallow and have an appetite sometimes.
Take Care
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Endoscopy / X-ray new
      #256624 - 04/05/06 07:56 PM
karabear

I just did a quick web search and it looks like a hiatal hernia can be diagnosed by an endoscopy or X-ray (specifically a barium X-ray). And yes, an endoscopy is where they stick the tube down your throat.

--------------------
Kara

Mucous in throat new
      #256626 - 04/05/06 08:03 PM
karabear

I have this too! I didn't realize that was part of a hiatal hernia.

It's amazing, symptoms I've had for years are suddenly making sense as part of ibs or the hernia.

Do you follow a low-acid diet in addition to the medicine you take? If so, any suggestions on what are some good foods to eat and others to avoid? I'm still figuring this all out.

--------------------
Kara

Re: Mucous in throat new
      #256659 - 04/06/06 06:53 AM
Flipada

Wow. I have a lot of "goop" too. But I always thought it was part of my sinus problems. It might be. I had sinus surgery two years ago so now, any cold I get automatically drains to my chest. Uck! We were hoping to avoid the laryngitis I get all the time but it didn't really help that. Although I DO feel much better. But gosh, I didn't know that any of that might be tied to a hernia.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re: Mucous in throat new
      #256674 - 04/06/06 07:47 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I get that too. The mucus drainage can be very irritating. I just got over a bout of that.
Eat six small meals instead of three normal ones. Every time I eat too much at once it feels like I'm going to have a heart attack. That is the basic reccommendation for hiatal hernia.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

karabear- some suggestions new
      #256717 - 04/06/06 10:17 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

yes sometimes when I am in social settings the goo is soooo bad in my throat and I need to cough it out but can't so I have a hard time swallowing and breathing, it SUCKS!! I am not sure if this is linked to my GERD or hiatal hernia, or both.
I would recommend eating small meals throughout the day which will benefit your IBS as well. If my stomach gets too empty I immediately get acid in my throat. I also find that too many carbs really hurts. Surprisingly I am able to handle tomato sauce on occassion, it has to be sauce though, no whole tomatoes or raw (eeek). I avoid onions, garlic and peppers, most spices, I eat everything pretty plain. If I want to add flavour to a meal I use garlic salt or dehydrated onion.
My other suggestion would be to eat slowly. Sit down, relax and take your time.
Finding something to drink that doesn't bother my IBS or reflux has been very hard. 99% of the time I drink room temperature water. I never drink anything really cold because that leads to agony, as well don't chug or gulp your drinks or you will find pain with that as well.
I hope this helps!
Take Care
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review